3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Priceline.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 76% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Centrally Located

I was not too sure about staying at this hotel as it was rated only 3 stars- but I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean and not too small. We stayed on the 15th floor with a view of the river/casino/key bridge/etc.

Two complaints about the hotel. 1) they blacked out the Michigan football game in our room (said we would have to go to the bar to view it) 2) when we called regarding our reservation we were told that all the rooms were King/No-Smoking- which is not the case. We lucked out with the last King/No-Smoking room for the weekend.

Unique Quality: The beds were fantastic. Great sheets, comforter and pillow.

• dtownkitty's Profile Photo

BEAUTIFUL VIEWS!

The downtown Marriott Ren-Cen is part of the GM World headquarters complex. It's the imposing building off Jefferson. If you stay here you're sure to get a great view in this lovely hotel. It's the tallest hotel in America. It's clean, and has very comfortable beds. Inside the building are several shops, including a Pure Detroit store that you shouldn't miss. There are many dining choices including swanky Seldom Blues which is also a Jazz venue. Go out the back entrance for views of the Detroit River. The place is huge, with an 8 story lobby so don't get lost. It used to remind me of the movie Logans Run.

Unique Quality: Easy to find, fantastic views including a restaurant and bar at the top (it doesn't revolve anymore). The restaurant has gotten lukewarm reviews but it may be nice for a drink.
    The people mover stops here.

Room prices can range anywhere to under $100.00 to 250.00

• wclu's Profile Photo

Nice place to stay

This splendid location provides good days and good nights.
    The building complex has every kind of shops, cafeterias, dental offices, beaty shop, taylors and much more

Unique Quality: very good linen, confortable bed, everything you need

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Luxury Accomodations in Fortress Detroit

Although this is now a Marriott property, I think it was a Westin when I stayed here in 1996. I was down in Detroit for the wedding of a former student of mine; this was where the reception was held, and it was the "official hotel" of the ceremony. The Renaissance Center has an odd feeling about it - as it is very reluctant to have anything to do with the city it happens to be in. Access to the hotel is peculiarly difficult. It was designed by the most famous hotel architect of the 1970s, John Portman, and when I stayed there some years back it still felt like it belonged in the era of disco and Jimmy Carter. But it has comfortable guestrooms, and one of those weird revolving restaurants on the roof. It's a very tall hotel, and I had a room on the 44th floor. My strongest memory of the place is getting back to my room very late at night after a little too much champagne, ordering a pepperoni pizza from room service, and watching the police helicopters with their searchlights fly over various Detroit neighborhoods. You only live once!

• Marriott Renaissance Center

The Renaissance Center is hard to miss, it is the tallest building in the downtown Detroit area and also the tallest in Michigan for that matter. The Ren-Cen as locals call it, is a mix of office/hotel/retail shopping and is linked to Detroit's downtown People Mover, the People Mover is currently closed at the Ren-Cen but a skywalk to the Millander Center where another People Mover station is located is your best bet to get on the People Mover. The People Mover stops at 13 stations downtown with stops at Joe Louis Arena, Cobo Hall and Greektown as well as others. The Ren-Cen is currently undergoing a major renavation and some areas of the building might be closed. I will keep you updated.

Unique Quality: The view of Detroit from the Ren-Cen's 73rd floor is as beautiful as the Sears Tower or CN Tower or even the Empire State Building although Detroit's view isn't as high up it's still a great view. On a clear day you can see the entire Metro area, plus Canada. The farthest I have ever seen the Ren-Cen on land was from a pier on Lake St. Clair at Metro Beach which is about 20 miles from downtown Detroit as the crow flys, driving it's about 30-35 miles. Last time I checked the 73rd floor was still under construction and was closed during this construction.

Directions: The Renaissance Center is hard to miss downtown, take Jefferson Avenue to Bates Street and make a right, make a left on Atwater to Ren Cen Drive West to the hotel enterance.

More about Detroit Marriott Renaissance Center

Seamless stay at the Marriott Renaissance Center

I generally prefer small hotels due to the personal service, but the proximity of the Marriott to my meeting the next day was the determining factor in my choice.

I was pleasantly surprised at the nice service. The expansive lobby was spotless, yet empty, when I arrived on the Monday night of Thanksgiving week. I was immediately greeted by a smiling face behind the registration desk. I asked for a non-smoking floor and was immediately upgraded, free of charge, to one of Marriott's concierge levels due to the low occupancy that night. She put me in a 59th floor. The elevator was fast and smooth. The room offered a great view of Windsor and the Detroit River.

The room was ample size, and was very clean and comfortable. The room included a huge L-shaped work station, a comfortable arm chair with ottoman, and a very comfortable bed with lots of pillow choices. The bathroom was standard sized, but nice. The room was quiet, but again, occupancy was low that night, and I was on the opposite side of the floor where the ice machines were.

A call to the front desk was promptly answered by a friendly, personalized greeting. The 56th floor concierge lounge was very comfortable with complimentary newspapers, TV, soft drinks, and desserts. A free breakfast was offered (I got up too late to partake). Check-out was a breeze as the bill was placed under the door. All was correct.

Great Stay at RenCen Marriott

by TripAdvisor Member jjctraveler

I stayed at the Marriott Renaissance Center over Memorial Day weekend. I am an architecture nut, and had always wanted to stay at this John Portman designed hotel, so this was a fantasy for me.

The positives - Room 5015 had spectacular views of Detroit and the River. Even though the adjacent office building blocked the direct view, the side views were great. The elevators were very fast and I rarely had to wait more than 20 seconds. The trip up to 50 never took very long. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. For a cylindrical hotel, the room was spacious. Renaissance Center has great restaurants, a few shops and a food court. Beware that many shops and parts of the food court are closed on Sunday.

The problems - Finding the hotel entrance is a challenge. Read the hotel directions carefully. The entrance was very congested and not nearly big enough for all the cars. I wanted to self park, which I discovered is in the independent garage across the street, not affiliated with the hotel. I had no problems in the garage, but you have to haul your luggage across a busy street to get to the hotel. Forget valet parking, the wait and congestion are not worth it.
Once in the hotel you enter a motor lobby, but it is not the hotel lobby. You have to go up the very crowded and slow elevators to the main lobby two floors up. Once in the lobby, I had a 10 minute wait to get checked in, even though I had Marriott Rewards. The actual checkin took another 20 minutes. I was using Marriott Rewards for two days and 1 day I was paying for. Apparently this was too complicated for the clerk. While hauling my luggage into the hotel I discovered you could skip the lobby elevators and go through unmarked doors to the left, straight into Renaissance Center and then take the hotel elevators up to your room floor. They don't like you doing this, but it saves 5 minutes.
The hotel restaurant was OK. Great views of the river, but overpriced and slow for breakfast.

Other Comments - Renaissance Center has very nice restaurants facing the river and a large food court in the lower level. The food court is great, but it takes some effort to get there from the hotel.
While Detroit has a reputation as a dangerous city, I felt perfectly safe in Renaissance Center and the river promenade. I walked the surrounding streets until 9pm and had no problems. I would not recommend walking in downtown Detroit after dark, and in general you just need to be careful in the downtown area.
Renaissance Center allows the public to wander in the atrium, and photography is allowed (no tripods). The security guards are very friendly and very visible. Unfortunately, the GM renovation has not solved the circulation problems of the large circular atrium. It is still very confusing and difficult to find stores and move between floors. It took me three days to find the movie theaters! The hotel ballrooms are all on the upper floor next to the skylight, somewhat isolated from the public floors. There is direct elevator access from the ballroom floors to all hotel floors. The pool is gone (now the winter garden) but there is a health club on the 40th floor.
Note that GM films commercials and other videos in RenCen so certain parts become inaccessible when filming.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again, but I would not pay more than about $120 a night.

Great Place!

by TripAdvisor Member signature500

Had a little wait to check in, but it's a large hotel, what do you expect?

This is one massive hotel. Was in town for Red Bull Dragster Day and spent the night and had a pleasant stay. Clean room, friendly staff, just an overall cool place.

The restaurant for dinner tried to be upscale but never really got there. Food was good but not enough to knock my socks off.

Breakfast was another story! Their buffet for breakfast was the best I've seen in a long time.

Valet parking people were really cool and helped us find our way on several occasions.

Located next to the entrance for the tunnel to Windsor, Ontario Canada (take the shuttle)

Overall, I'll be back the next time I'm in Detroit

Detroit Airport to Detroit Marriott Renaissance Center

by Corbama

Can someone give me details on how to catch a bus from the airport to the Marriott hotel. How much would it cost if I catch a taxi instead? I am trying to get there cheaply and fast enough to make a meet someone at hotel to catch a ride. I have about 1 hour and 30 minutes form the time I arrive to the airport to the time my meeting. Do you think I can make it by catching a bus. Pleasee help.
Tahnks

RE: Detroit Airport to Detroit Marriott Renaissance Center

by GottaTry

It is about 20 miles from the airport to your hotel.
You can take the SMART bus, it is cheap but I don't know if you could make it in time. Detroit does not have good public transportation.
To look up the schedule times go to http://www.smartbus.org and checkout the schedule for route 125.
I haven't done a cab in awhile but would guess it is about $40.
You might contact the hotel and see if they have any other options.

Comments