Inn On Ferry Street

Inn on Ferry Street
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Inn On Ferry Street

Best in the City

Hands down the best of the best!! From check-in to check-out the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. This is the only place I'll stay in the City of Detroit. AND I LIVE HERE!! The room was immaculate and cozy. Just the right ambience to celebrate an anniversary. Delicious continental breakfast.

Perfect for a get-together with friends!

by TripAdvisor Member Melanieann

Just back from a relaxing weekend at The Inn. This place does not disappoint in any way. We met four friends there to see "Hairspray".
Enjoyed a fun lunch at Traffic Jam and Snug, just a short drive away. Then for dinner we had an early reservation at Mario's, a favorite. The shuttle from the Inn dropped us at 5:30pm at restaurant. We had a fantastic meal and we were then taken by Mario's shuttle bus to theater. Mario's was there to take us back to the restaurant for free buffet, music and dancing. Mario's then used the bus to take us back to the Inn at 1am.
We enjoyed a great hot breakfast, with Starbucks coffee (not weak at all).Over breakfast we all said we had slept well in big comfortable beds with fine linen and fluffy quilts. Don't miss this place! You deserve the best!

Highly Recommended--Especially for Lovers of History and Culture!

The Inn on Ferry Street is a truly wonderful establishment. The historic group of homes have been masterfully restored and decorated, the staff is courteous, and the amenities are a-plenty. There are so many nice details, it's hard to even remember them all: great breakfast, complete with fresh fruit, make-for-yourself waffles, Starbucks coffee and Tazo tea; very comfortable beds and linens; a music selection in each room; and lots of extra local-info reading, magazines, and books. The grounds are well landscaped, and the parking was clean and well lit at night. I’m sure work is continuing, but it would be nice if the back alley behind the parking lot was better masked by trees and vines.

We stayed in the John R carriage house, which is simply designed in the Arts and Crafts style, and our room was quiet and comfortable. The night security fella made a not-so-tasteful comment about needing sunglasses to look at the bed covering in our particular room, but we thought the multi-colored velvet Pottery Barn comforter was wonderful. Next time I'll try to see if we can get the other carriage house, which looks incredibly charming! I especially like how the individual homes are decorated slightly differently, from Victorian to Arts and Crafts, depending on the architecture of the house—but all keeping with style of the era in which they were built.

For those not familiar with the area, this Midtown, Cultural Center of Detroit is experiencing a renaissance. This block of beautiful homes that is the Inn on Ferry is located just down the street from some of the most impressive mansions around. You must explore the area! (There are still a good number of vacant lots and dilapidated homes spotting the area as well, and I wouldn’t recommend walking too far north or east from this particular street late at night.) The restoration work and new projects transforming the area are exciting and inspiring.

Right now (summer 2005) there is much construction in the immediate vicinity, but overall the Inn is located in a terrific area--the cultural center of Detroit—and will be especially appreciated by lovers of culture and history! Within walking distance are the Detroit Institute of Arts, The Detroit Science Center, the Museum of African American History, Detroit Historical Museum, and the main branch of the Detroit Public Library. There are also a good number of nearby restaurants, bars, and activities for families. The Hard Rock Café and Comerica Park are also within a longer walk or short drive.

This place comes very highly recommended!

if you like self serve you'll love it

if you like luging your own bags up stairs it's your place!
if you like walking a block to get ice you'll love it!
if you like bad a/c you'll love it!
if you like bad maid service you'll like it!
if you like no security at night in a bad area of detroit you'll love it!
if you like no vending service you'll love it!
if you like bad room sevice from a resturant 3 miles away you'll love it!
i was there for the all star game. they have no idea how to take care of customers if you plan on going there for the super bowl you better think about. i made my reservation 4 months in advance and they still gave me the wrong room, and charged me the higher price! it is strictly self serve sleeping rooms. don't expect much and you won't be dissapionted as i was.
the only response i got for my wrong room was sorry too bad we gave your room to someone else.
i really can't think of any reason to stay here!!!!!!!
i was duped by other reviews.

If you like being spooked

The Inn on Ferry Street is beautiful but, only if you like being spooked. My husband and I stayed in the Pung House and I had the worst sleep ever. My husband stated that three times during the night I sat up screaming, which in our 22 year together I have never done once, and he had to try to calm me down. I had horrible visions of screaming demons right in our room. I could see everything around me including my husband next to me.

I questioned the staff the next day and they agreed that they have had people ask if this house was haunted so, if you want a spooking stay in the Pung House. Me, I prefer peaceful sleep so I won't be returning. But, they are clean and beautiful.

beautiful

by TripAdvisor Member hzma

Very nice, historic, retains this victorian taste to it what with decor and style. I think each room is different, ours was more like a studio with two rooms- one with the bed and tv, one with an office desk and sofa bed. very nice, very comfortable. Clean, organized.
Mini library in front of the room. Breakfast is not bad. No late check out.
Also, no elevators- and even first floor has a couple stairs have to climb up so not too handicap friendly though I'm not sure if another room might have been.
Shuttle bus to the HF health systems.
In all, very enjoyable.

Lovely B&B

by TripAdvisor Member Kismet007

I recently stayed at the Inn on Ferry while in Detroit on business. The Inn is delightful, spread over three historic buildings on a quiet residential street. Each room is unique, and each building has beautifully decorated common areas, as well. The rooms are charming with antique decor, nice toiletries, plush towels, iron and ironing board, plenty of space to move around, ample storage, and a coffee maker with Starbucks coffee and Tazo tea. Guests can also expect a complimentary gourmet cookie every night. I especially enjoyed the bedding--divine mattress and delicious sheets! I stayed in Pugh House and, unlike a poster below, did not meet any ghosts and slept like a log.

This is a B&B, not a hotel, so you won't find certain hotel amenities here, but you will find a lot more character and greater personalized attention. There is no gym, no restaurant (although the breakfast is quite nice with a waffle bar, a large selection of cereals and breads, fruit, juices, coffee, and tea in a cozy room off the lobby), no porters, and no vending machines. The rooms (at least in the building I was in) are also not the most soundproof. I don't know if they allow children, but I would not stay here with kids under 10 as they would likely disturb other guests. All rooms and interior spaces are also non-smoking due to local firecodes. Management should set up some ashtrays outside as there were a lot of cigarette butts on the building porches as there is nowhere else to dispose of cigarettes.

I think the Inn on Ferry is great alternative to chain hotels. The Inn has tremendous charm, and would be great for a romantic get-away. Service was friendly and helpful at every turn. I would definitely stay here again.

perfect little getaway

by TripAdvisor Member itgirl_ragdoll

My boyfriend and I stayed a night at the inn as a little valentine's day getaway. We got a deulxe queen suite in the Pung's house with a jacuzzi bath. We just loved it! Every member of the staff we encountered was pleasant and friendly and more than willing to help. The breakfast was delicious...I have never had so much perfect fruit in my life. For out of towners who may need help getting around, they offer a free shuttle. We didn't use it, but thought it was a very nice amenity.

We would absolutely stay at the inn again!

Bad Sneaky

The stay started out bad and got worse. My travel companion was the only good thing about the stay. Booked the stay on Hotels(-) requested a smoking room which was offered, received confirmation of my request. When we arrived at the Inn had to wait a very long time more then fifteen minutes while the clerk finished her conversation on the phone. Then she checked us in and informed us that it was a nonsmoking hotel. Because it was within the noncancellation period had to take the room or be billled for it anyway. Spent the night then left the next morning. Got my credit card bill and was charged by hotels(-) for the room. Next month got another 100 dollar charge for smoking in the room from the Inn. WE DID NOT SMOKE IN THE ROOM. Still trying to resolve the situation. Misrepresentation at its best. Was suppose to be a romantic getaway. Never again at the Inn on Ferry Street as I have told everyone I know

Comments