MGM Grand Detroit

1777 Third Street formerly "MGM Grand Detroit Hotel & Casino" Detroit, Michigan 48226, United States
Expedia.com Orbitz.com MGM Grand Detroit

More about MGM Grand Detroit

A touch of Vegas

by midnight_mike about MGM Grand Detroit Casino

If you are the type of person who goes to Las Vegas strictly for gambling, you will find the MGM Grand Detroit Casino more than adequate. It is a full-size casino with the slots and table games your wallet can handle.

by truesunn about MGM Grand Casino

Owned by MGM-Mirage, whom also owns the MGM Grand Vegas, Golden Nugget, Mirage, NYNY and Treasure Island. If you currently hold a players club card for any of these casinos, you can also use your points here in Detroit!

I finally had an opportunity to visit the MGM recently, and BY FAR it is the best casino of the 3 in Detroit. It is the only Detroit casino that even comes close to resembling a Vegas class establishment. Very spacious and tastefully decorated. My friend won $80 playing the slots last time, but lost this time, while I came home with $50 playing the $10 Black Jack tables ;)

MGM Grand Detroit Has 4 eateries on the premesis:

*Java Coast - Fast and Fresh 24 hours a day!

*MGM GRAND Buffet - Michigan's Grandest buffet!

*Venti Uno - Fresh Northern and Southern Italian cuisine

*Hollywood Brown Derby - The Best on Prime Beef and Seafood

There is no hotel in this casino. I would wear dress slacks and a collared shirt for men, and something a bit dressy for the ladies.

Sean working the grillSean working the grill

THE FOUNTAINTHE FOUNTAIN

Wintergarden AtriumWintergarden Atrium

The New ParthenonThe New Parthenon

Interview

by SSobyaOwais

Hi,
I'm travelling to Detroit for the first time for an interview. My interview's at a building on Moross Road. They've recommended a few hotels in Roseville, most of which are 10-15 mins away from the info I've been sent. I was wondering what the best way would be to get from DTW airport to this area? What if I took a cab? How much would that cost me? I'm not too keen on the idea of renting a car since I'm flying back the very next day. And any feedback of any of the hotels in the Roseville area would be great too.
Thanks.

by valerie7277

What city is your interview in? You mention it's on Moross, which runs through Harper Woods and Grosse Pointe Farms (both cities are next to Roseville). Roseville is about 35-40 miles from the airport. There is a lot of construction on the main expressway (I-94) right now, which you will need to take to get out to where you're going. My commute time has been doubled due to some of this construction, so just a note if you're watching your time. I've never taken a cab there before, but a car service (Metro Cars) will cost about $60-70 one-way to that area. Renting a car would be the most economical choice, but the car service or cab would be easiest.

by Dymphna1

Check to see if any of the hotels have a shuttle.

by SSobyaOwais

Thanks so much for the info, Valerie. My interview is at a hospital off the I-94. It says Detroit in their address, but I think it's nearer Gross Pointe, though the hotels they've suggested are in Roseville.

by valerie7277

St. John's on Moross? I think their address is Detroit, but it's really on the border with Grosse Pointe Farms. Roseville is probably the best bet for a hotel for you....I think there is a Holiday Inn Express on Little Mack that isn't too far away. There are also some great hotels in downtown Detroit which would be about a 15-20 minute commute.

by Bunsch

We always used an airport shuttle service -- I see they are now listed at (586)744-3168 and one-way from DTW to Detroit is $49.00. We used to take it to the Parkcrest Motor Lodge in Harper Woods (just off I-94 on the service road between Moross and Eight Mile), but it now gets terrible reviews. Check out other Harper Woods hotel/motels before you decide on Roseville, though.

by Bunsch

To clarify -- I mean the PARKCREST gets terrible reviews!

by SSobyaOwais

Yeah, it is St. John's! I have been looking into a few hotels in the Roseville area, including the Holiday Inn Express. Any idea about the Red Roof Inn there? I read some mixed reviews.

by SSobyaOwais

Haha! I got it. The airport shuttle sounds like a good idea. Thanks for listing their number, and I'll be sure to check out the Harper Woods area too. I'm just looking to spend a comfortable night before the interview and get a good breakfast in the morning, and to be honest, not spend too much in the process since I have to hop to a few more cities for more interviews!

by SSobyaOwais

Great idea, thanks so much! I had been wondering about that, none of the ones I checked had it on their websites, but I'll ask them anyway

Travel Tips for Detroit

It's too bad that the original...

by Quazz88

It's too bad that the original Tiger Stadium was closed down last season because I would have said that. Now I'd have to say Greektown. Many Greek and other style restaurants. When I leave Detroit, the things I miss most are the Detroit Free Press, Vernor's Ginger Ale, and The Rock and Roll Radio Stations. These things are the BEST things about Detroit.

MARINERS' CHURCH

by LoriPori

As soon as you emerge from the Detroit/Windsor Tunnel, you will see on your left (west) the wonderful Michigan Historic Site MARINERS' CHURCH.

The Plaque in front of the Church reads:

"In 1842, according to the will of Julia Ann Anderson, Mariners' Church was organized to serve the spiritual needs of Great Lakes Seamen. Anderson had come to Detroit in 1818 with her husband John, a Brevet Lieutenant Colonel with the U.S. Topographical Engineers. Designed by Calvin Otis of Buffalo, New York, the Gothic Revival Church was built in 1849 on the northwest corner of Woodward Avenue and Woodbridge Street. In 1955 the Church was moved to make room for the Civic Center Plaza. Hauled 880 feet along steel rails to this site, the 3,000-ton limestone structure blocked Woodward Avenue traffic for 21 days.
The Church was immortalized in the 1975 ballad "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" as the "cathedral" where "the church bell chimed 'til it rang 29 times."
Mariners' Church is in the National Register of Historic Places." Located at 170 East Jefferson, Detroit Michigan 48226
Phone: 313-259-2206
Website: www.marinerschurchofdetroit.org

LET'S JUST COME OUT AND SAY IT!!

by dtownkitty

Folks from Detroit and the Detroit area love to talk about Detroit. We love to criticize as well as hope and the best blessings and worst cursings come from our very lips. There are a lot of suburbanites that despise the city. Let me clarify. I mean white suburbanites (not all of course). They will tell you how horrible the city is. What they are really saying (and sometimes they will come right out and say it) is that they judge how safe an area is by the black/white ratio. The more black people, the worse it must be. This is so ridiculous and it is the very attitude that has held Detroit back. Take things you hear with a grain of salt.

Comments