Basaic Gaylord Page
"Otsego County Courthouse"
The town of Gaylord is located in North Central Michigan, has a population of over 4000, and is the county seat of Otsego County. The town was settled in 1874 by the Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw Railroad and named for Augustine Smith Gaylord a lawyer for the company. Gaylord started the Saginaw School System in 1851, became a lawyer in 1856, was appointed to the Michigan House of representatives in 1862, and served as an attorney in the Department of the Interior under President Theodore Roosevelt from 1875 until his death in 1877. Otsego County is named after a lake and a county in New York State. Gaylord is a sister city to Pontresina, Switzerland and has adopted the Alpine style of architecture for many downtown building including the county courthouse.
There are a number of architecturally and historically interesting building in the Gaylord Historic District.
One of the symbols for the town is the bear. There are sculptures of bears on display around the town including these by the courthouse.