286 Grand Ave, , Michigan, 49757, United States

Historic Hotels Travelocity

Costs 83% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• tarced's Profile Photo

A Must Do Once

Unique Quality: This hotel takes you back in time. Even though it is pricey, I recommend staying here at least once. The atmosphere cannot be duplicated. They have a sprawling lawn where you can play bocce ball or croquet, a large pool, and a flower garden where you can take some amazing pictures. The lobby has a harpist who plays while you can relax in one of the many chairs with a drink while the long porch which looks out over the lawns and has a view of the water has a number of rocking chairs to sit in with servers who are attentive, but do not bother you when your drink is still half full. It is peaceful and truly takes you away from the pressures of every day life. Dinner and breakfast is included and enjoyable. If you are traveling with children, a kids' club is available.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

High End Old Luxury-an Era gone by

It sits on top of the hill; the highest point on the island; and is impressive. It is from 1887 when the steamship companies knew the could make good money for tourists to come and stay on the island. People came mostly from large eastern cities back then to get away from heat-but up here had bugs and gnats, and only a couple 2-3 months are pleasant, then it turns cooler. Room rates then were $3-5. Now they run $400-700 a nite. WOW. The hotel is only open for stays in the spring/summer months.
    It is not that nice to pay such high rates, but I guess you pay for fame and history to say you sat on the the longest porch in the US.

Commoners can stroll inside and see the halls and sites without any problem, after you pay an entry fee of $10. It is like a museum, but after seeing the lobby ans some areas, not much to see and the tour may be about 15 minutes at most. The fee keeps out thousands of tourists coming to see the hotel magnificence.

• Gypsygirl05's Profile Photo

America's Best Summer Resort

The Grand Hotel is easily one of the most distinguishable landmarks and buildings on the island. Its sweeping wooden porch dominates its surroundings, and the grounds in front of it are always covered in a stunning array of vibrantly colored flowers. The lobby inside is decked out in a multitude of different styles, and the dining room holds a classical elegance. The rooms are all decorated in different styles, and are complete with intriguing lamps, old-fashioned (but extremely comfortable) beds and a surprisingly modern bathroom. Unfortunately a small TV is usually included in the room, but it is easily overlooked.

Unique Quality: The food at the Grand is superb, consisting of about five courses. A tip: When using silverwear, go from the outside in, because you'll have 11 untensils for dinner alone. The pool is a great place to relax, and the views from the record-holding porch are spectacular.

The overall feeling of the Grand Hotel is one of times long passed. Old meshes with new to create a totally unique environment, and although many of the facilities are quite modern, they retain the quality of antique comfort that only Mackinac is capable of achieving.

Directions: Head south down Market Street and turn left on Cadotte Avenue. Go past the few businesses and the Grand Hotel is impossible to miss.

• Travler409's Profile Photo

Island Granduer

It's not just a trip to somewhere in time, it is a trip back in time. The modern day life is given a glimpse of a posh life from two centuries ago.

Unique Quality: The swimming pool on the grounds of the hotel was built during the heyday of Hollywood musicals for legendary actress/swimmer Esther Williams. Over the years some improvements have been made, such as the addition of a sleek, stainless steel hottub. During the mid afternoon, kids line up to make their own snow cones available poolside. A full workout room and shower facilities are available.

Directions: Take a ferry from either Mackinaw City or St. Ignace.

• Simonneeddy's Profile Photo

The biggest and the best

We did not stay here as we were on a tour for one day.
    but I thought you should see how RICH PEOPLE LIVE
    $1000 to $3000 for a suite for one night

Unique Quality: High class

• rossandkelli's Profile Photo

The Grand Hotel

Very Expensive, I never stayed here. It's beautifully historical but out of my price range!

$195-$600+

Unique Quality: At 660 feet, Grand Hotel's front porch is the world's longest, and is visible as you approach the Island from Lake Michigan.

No motorized vehicles are allowed on Michigan's Mackinac Island. All transportation is provided by horse and carriage or bicycle. Mackinac Island is accessible only by ferry boat or plane.

While more than 1 million people visit Mackinac Island each year, the Island has only 600 year-round residents.

It takes 500,000 gallons of water to fill Grand Hotel's swimming pool, which was named for actress Esther Williams when she starred in the 1949 movie 'This Time for Keeps', shot at Grand Hotel.

'Somewhere in Time', starring Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, and Christopher Plummer, was filmed on location at Grand Hotel in 1979. The movie now has a huge following and fan club that meets yearly at Grand Hotel in late October.

Five U.S. Presidents have stayed at Grand Hotel. Presidents Clinton, Bush, Ford, Kennedy and Truman have all resided at Grand Hotel.

There are more than 500 horses on Mackinac Island.

More than 50,000 Grand Pecan Balls, the Hotel's most popular dessert, are consumed each season.

The Grand Hotel's famous front porch flowers include 2,000 geraniums in 260 planting boxes with seven tons of potting soil.

One ton of bulbs are planted in the fall, including 24,000 tulips and 3,000 daffodils.

More than 105,000 bedding plants (annuals) are used to create the many gardens on Grand Hotel grounds.

More about Grand Hotel

It Really is Grand

by DueSer about Grand Hotel Mackinac Island

This was fun. It was a gift from my mother after graduating with my Masters' degree. She knows I like to travel and this was the perfect gift because while I do travel a lot, I don't travel at quite this level of elegance ever. And the Grand Hotel *is* elegant, old-school elegant (it was built in 1887 and people like Mark Twain have stayed here). The whole island is like travelling back in time and this hotel definitely fits in that theme.

The rooms are comfortable, the mints they put on your pillow are FANTASTIC, the meals are wonderful (more on that in a moment), and you have to dress for dinner. I think that's cool. Coming from Southern California where everything is casual, going somewhere that required dressing for dinner I just found extremely classy and fun. They have a pool and other activities and they can provide a picnic lunch if you request it, but it's not included in the price.

What is included in the price is dinner and breakfast. Breakfast was fine. Dinner was mind-blowing. Write this down - Grand Pecan Ball. Seriously. It is amazing. The island is known for its fudge and so here is this huge thing that they bring out to you for dessert. It's a softball-size ball of ice cream rolled in pecans and sitting in a bed of Mackinac chocolate fudge. It was mind-blowing. Really. It has the longest front porch, so they claim, and the view from there is pretty impressive. They also have an art gallery in the hotel so if you're every looking for something to do, you can wander over there (it's near the dining room) and see what exhibit they have on display.

The Grand Hotel is Grand

by TripAdvisor Member SusaB

We just returned from a three night stay at the Grand Hotel (October 3, 4, 5) and everything exceeded my expectations. I had read some of the previous reports and I was ready for a small room, small TV, no air conditioning, and overworked wait staff. Well we got the small TV, but except for that and the fact that the walls aren't very sound proofed (you could easily hear people talking next door), those were the only negatives. When we arrived in our room, I was delighted in the lovely cottage decor and the size. It had two large beds and a wicker couch and side chairs and coffee table. Then I noticed the ash trays. I called down to inquire if this was a smoking room and was told yes, but that I had gotten a "complimentary upgrade." She said the hotel was nearly full and the available non smoking rooms were much smaller. We opted to stay in this room, which was on the 4th floor and had a nice view out back. That it was a smoking room and/or smoking floor was really not evident until the last night when I could smell some smoke coming from one of the other rooms, but it wasn't overwhelming. The service and food were excellent. After the first night, we opted to eat in the Jockey Club--the building near the first tee of the golf course. This is an intimate little restaurant with fireplace and food is ordered off the menu and served fresh and hot. We felt this was a much better experience than the main dining room. Also more casual attire is allowed here. I'm not sure they allow this in the summer or that it would be possible to get into this restaurant when the golf course and hotel are busier. I did get a chuckle out of the small TV and can't imagine who authorized this but oh well, just mark it up to the charm of the place. We didn't need air conditioning as it was not that warm but our room was equipped with both heater and air conditioner. I just felt the whole ambience of the hotel was something out of the past. We truly enjoyed our stay here and definitely would return. They were offering a fall special with a stay two nights and get one night free, which was a nice bonus. The no tipping policy is nice too though I wonder what motivates the workers to be so polite and helpful. We certainly hope to return again to the Grand.

Loved the Grand Hotel

My husband and I just returned from 3 days on Mackinac Island. We stayed at the Grand Hotel the 1st night and fell in love with the atmosphere. We definitely plan on returning next year for the Somewhere in Time weekend. We are big fans of the movie and discovered the Grand Hotel from the movie. We wanted to see this picturesque hotel, so for our 35th anniversary decided to visit the island. It was like a dream come true and everyone was very gracious and hospitable. We were very pleased with the room accomadations. It really is Somewhere In Time.

not a long enough stay

Our trip was a 3 day total; the bus ride took 1/2 of first day and 1/2 of 3rd day. Our stay at the Island was wonderful.

I traveled with mom, 84, aunt 82 and another aunt 73 who had problems getting 'into' or 'onto' the taxi wagon. Thankfully a young man named Chad came by, originally from Houghton Lake, he said, and had a low wagon he said was perfect for when his grandmother visited, thus fine for my aunts and mom. Thankfully we requested and got him for our island 'tour' also. He was a colorful talker and did a good job of pointing out the sights. He was knowledgable of the homes, owners, families, dispositions, the stables, cemeteries and such. Incidently, this was my 4th and mom's 8th trip there for the short stay. Although I wished for other evening activities than fudge-bingo or movies, we later enjoyed the music and watching the dancing in the ballroom. It was fun to imagine the 1890's and turn of the century when ladies brought trunks and trunks of clothing and changed gowns each time they turned around - according to the talk we had listened to about the hotel's history. {and at that time, no indoor plumbing...} Listening to this History talk of the Hotel and Island was one of the highlights of the trip. It was given by the hotel historian who told how the hotel was built, - such a high pile of hand hewn lumber, how they got it all over to the island.. explained why some hallways have a ramp effect in some places; they had only hand tools and 3 monthes to build it... starting from both ends and trying to meet in the middle.
The way the taxi service gets all those folks and their luggage to the ferry in time is something of a wonder.
The efficiency and beautiful effects of the flowers, plants and in general,the grounds keeping was also told about in the talk about the Hotel.
The hotel itself had very super staff ! -Waiters and dining attendants were always gracioius and attentive and did their jobs efficiently and with friendliness and kindness. We have always been impressed with the way all the food is prepared in time for consumption of so many at one time...and tastes wonderful also. The kitchen tour was great, and eye opening. I am impressed with the composting and refuse 'system' on the Island.!!
The room service is also efficient and friendly with a small sample of chocolate on the pillow left by room service when ones bed is turned down for the evening.
My husband and I had visited my first time in 1966 when we had just married. We biked around the island. His grandfather, George Nyberg worked as stable master at the turn of the century but I am always disappointed that no records were kept anywhere to prove that fact except that the family knows he was there, and in that capacity.

In reading comments by others concerning the 9 inch tv in the rooms.... I had to laugh. In my opinon, the art work in each room, hallways and the furniture, lamps and fixtures, and just looking up at the ceiling in the parlor to study the lines of the walls or the draperies was entertainment enough for anyone who was after cultural nourishment. Books are ample on the subject of the Hotel, also. The fact that the floral bouquets in the parlor are all fresh flowers is astounding! Another passtime not to be overlooked is to sit in a rocking chair or at a table on the porch and enjoy the sun and fresh air!

I guess there are only two things in which I have been disappointed.
One was observing the 'thinning of trees down the hill from the hotel' so that "folks there could have a better view". That to me was a waste of trees and just didn't seem necessary to me.
The Second was the 'too loud' jazz live music played at the large dining room dinner. EVERY time we have been there it has been "jazz" and every time..too loud. I would always request a table as far away from that orchestra as possible. The music makes table conversation difficult and also is irritating after awhile. Another type of music such as that which they play for the dancing would be much more suitable in my estimation.
I would like to know more about the school there on the island. Perhaps during another trip there, for a longer duration will assist in this.
Thank you. I welcome anyone's reply to my comments.

The Grand Hotel, Mackinac IslandThe Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island

Mackinaw Island FerryMackinaw Island Ferry

Arch in Mackinaw IslandArch in Mackinaw Island

Strolling 'round Mackinaw islandStrolling 'round Mackinaw island

BACHLORETTE PARTY

by gracie1

HI
We are going to Mackinaw Island for my Bachlorette party the third saturday of August
We want to hit the pubs and dance and play a few Bachlorette games.
We are all 24 years old, except my bridesmaid cousin who is 18.
Can she get in the pubs and dance (not drink) or will they make her leave?
Are the Pubs fun?
I am also considering Midland Street in Bay City
But I am not sure the bars there will let an 18 year old in
Any info is welcome

Re: BACHLORETTE PARTY

by CONNOROBRIAN

Yes, she can hang with you, just can't drink. I recommend Horns for a good time. Its about two blocks west of the ferry docks and one block north. Have fun!

Comments