P.O. Box 178, Mackinac Island, Michigan 49757, United States

• KidRock's Profile Photo

Spring Summer Fall - Best Stay!

The Main Street Inn has been our Lodging since they opened 4 years ago. They are perhaps the cleanest, most friendly, and conveniently located Hotel of all.

Unique Quality: Hugh rooms, luxuary suites. Modern rooms with era theme decor.

Directions: Can't miss it - right across the street from the ferry docks.

• rikutsumi's Profile Photo

very quaint

To say the least when we payed $90.00 I was expecting... well a bit more. I don't mean to sound greedy but I've been in $60.00 hotels and have gotten rooms with a lot more space and a pool. The room itself is very quaint and has more of a homey feel to it than other hotels I've been to so it still has that uniqueness that is featured on Mackinac island.

Obviously, being on an island it's going to be a bit more expensive and the staff is really friendly. However, if you're more into the experience ect. for $50.00 more you can get a lot better room.

Over all our stay has been very comfortable and I wouldn't have minded it so much except there's not much to do here on the island after 9 p.m. so being in a hotel with out a pool in a small room, not for families with kids with limitless energy XD if you're a younger couple with limited funds and you want to go to a beautiful island, this is probably the best place for you.

I just searched through their pictures and some of their other rooms are a lot more spacious so just be sure to check the pictures on the website and you should be just fine. ^^

Unique Quality: In most hotels you don't generally get that home like quality to the rooms. Ours have quilts for the bed covers (and the shower curtain has the same pattern) and most of the room has older style furniture. The only modern style things in the room are a medium sized flat screen, a phone, and a digital clock. Even the lamps and the dresser look like they're from the old western times (only eastern style). Very homey very unique, it was my favorite part by far.

Directions: (from the Arnold ferry) Turn left onto the main street and walk about a block and a half. It is on your right and signs point to the lobby as it is mixed in with some shops.

More about Main Street Inn and Suites

Terrible Customer Service

by TripAdvisor Member LowerMichJones

I am not one to complain about the little things but when your entire stay is one "little thing" after another your vacation is soon ruined. We arrived, after having called ahead to confirm, and were greeted with an unheard of wait time in line. The front desk clerk was short with us and did not welcome us or give us the impression that she wanted us to be there in any way. After finally getting up to our room we found the accommodations to be "less than acceptable" as there was even trash still in the trash can in the bathroom. We still tried to remain in high spirits and went out to explore the Island. After a long day we returned to simply get some sleep and were up all night with children running through the hall and the noise from the TV next door. After calling down to the front desk several times with no results we decided to cut our losses and check out early the next morning. When we explained our situation we were treated with little to no compassion and offered no compensation. We will never return and have already warned our large circle of friends.

Perfect location, great service, excellent rooms

by TripAdvisor Member mom_and_traveler

Our family loved this bright, clean hotel, right in the middle of the action on Mackinac Island. We stayed in a room with two queen beds and a window. There was plenty of space for our family of four and all the stuff that accompanies two small children.

The room was decorated beautifully, as were the two other rooms we saw (we met other family members on the island for the Fourth of July). Everything was clean -- I certainly didn't worry about walking on the carpet or tile floors in my bare feet as I do at some other hotels.

Housekeeping was thorough and playful, leaving us notes and arranging the children's stuffed animals and blankets in fun poses each day.

Our room was at the back of the hotel, not facing the street, so we didn't have any noise problems. The location is great -- an easy walk to any of the ferry docks, shops and restaurants. We rented bikes just across the street at OrrKids and explored the island one morning.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member gselby

My wife and I just returned from a one night stay at the Main Street Inn on Mackinac Island. It was an excellent hotel, with an excellent location.

The hotel location is right across the street from the Shepler's ferry dock and so whether you carry your own bags or have a bell-hop carry them for you it is very convenient.

We had a one bedroom suite which was an excellent room. It was quiet, clean, had a balcony overlooking Main Street and came with a complimentary serving of fudge.

Although the room was expensive, I'd highly recommend it to anybody looking for a high quality accommodations on Main Street.

Great Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member katiehyden

I stayed here for my anniversary over Memorial Day weekend. The hotel was great! The bed was super comfy, and we had a small kitchen and seperate sitting room. We also had a balcony, which was nice to sit on to relax and just watch what was happening on Main Street. The staff was very friendly and we got a small box of fudge with our free turn-down service. We also were able to store our bikes in the basement, which was very nice! It was a little more pricey, partly because I splurged on a King balcony room, but it was worth it! Also, I heard the front desk speaking with the cleaning staff about cleaning the comforters - it sounds like they do it very regularly...which was nice to hear considering some hotels hardly ever clean them! The location was also great. We didn't have to carry our luggage all over, because you are near the ferry docks. You are also right near all of the restaurants, etc. I will definitely stay here next time I go!

Nice place, but not perfect

by TripAdvisor Member jenlion

This is a very convenient place to stay, right across from the Shipler's ferry dock. It's a new place, so none of the problems you can get with an older building. The people we talked to were all extremely helpful and friendly, and even brought gifts for my baby!

There were a few issues, though. In a holiday inn or something, I wouldn't worry about it. But, given that this is a pretty pricey place, it matters. Here's what happened in my room:
- I kept stepping on something I couldn't see on the black granite part of the floor. Was driving me nuts. Turned out to be a piece of fudge, nuts still attached, from a previous guest.
- Coke can was half-under the bed.
- Half of the couch in my suite was broken -- could only sit comfortably on the other half
- Tub stopper was broken; could not open drain well enough to shower without filling tub around feet
- (This is just weird) somebody used my hand lotion. I left it in the morning untouched on the sink... came back after breakfast, maids had been through already, and lotion was half-gone. Thanks.

The room that I stayed in was one of the suites with a large balcony. Nice place to watch the ferry come and go, the people walking around and renting bikes, that kind of thing. Nice TVs, if you're staying in the room long. Other members of my family stayed in other suites, and their rooms were quite nice, with none of the problems that my room had (nothing broken, better maid service). They were all absolutely thrilled with their rooms and the game room with pool table.

So, it's a nice enough place to stay. I don't think I'd stay there again at $300+ a night, given the issues I did have -- things like a broken sofa and tub and stuff on the floor shouldn't happen. But, it looks like that wouldn't happen to everyone; I did see a maid in another room carefully cleaning the granite parts of the floor on her hands and knees, and the couches in the two other rooms I was in were just fine. Must be hit and miss (mostly hit given how most reviews are so positive).

Three Generations Return to the Island

by TripAdvisor Member TheVeldermanFamily

Main Street Inn & Suites gives the ultimate taste of Mackinac Island with the location being right downtown on Main Street. There is no substitute for being in the heart of downtown, but not just for the convenience of daytime activities, but instead for the ambience that is Mackinac in the evening when the majority of tourists have left for the day and the town seems to quietly slip back 50 years to the simpler, quieter times, especially as we watched the full moon rise over the harbor. Mornings viewed from the balcony of Main Street Inn offer glimpses of deliveries being made from the boats to the horse drawn wagons and of shop keepers opening for the day.
Rooms at Main Street Inn are plush. If you are able, reserve a suite with a street view/balcony. As my teenage son said when entering Room 210, "I feel like royalty!" The refrigerator and kitchenette helped with our picnic the next day, Hint: take a cooler of picnic items with you or purchase them at Doud's General Store for a lunch along the lakeshore away from the bustle of the crowds and it will be a time to remember skipping rocks and relaxing on the water.

Jane at the front desk was so helpful and accomodating, always with a smile.

Everything at Main Street Inn makes it well worth the price.
Clean, bright, cool, comfortable perfect for families, couples, everyone!

Wonderful Place with Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member KenoshaKathy

We have stayed on the Island every summer for many years. Last June we wed on the Island and had our WHOLE family stay at Main Street Inn and Suites. Everyone was pleased with this hotel. The beds are AWESOME. You will get a good nights sleep, as you will need it for all the biking, hiking and walking that you will do. We have stayed at other hotels and not had a good nights sleep. We have stayed in the Suite and the Deluxe standard. Both are very nice rooms for the price. The location is great- right in town- close to many restaurants and all the shopping. The Pool (Community) Room is a nice place to gather with your friends. In room coffee pot is provided, which is very convenient in the mornings. The indoor bike lockup is wonderful. However, it is in the basement and you have to bring your bikes up a flight of stairs. It did not pose a problem for us, but it may for some people. The maid staff and the check in staff were wonderful as well. We had arrived early and left late, so the staff kept our baggage secure for us. Since we had such a wonderful experience last year we did make our stay in 2007 at Main Street as well.

Nice people, friendly place

by TripAdvisor Member Lisa-OH

Stayed on the island Aug 17-18th 2007 for our 23rd anniversary.
We had room 306, interior with a skylight.
When we got there, our room door was open. It scared me a bit, then I remembered someone told me they did this so you can see what the other rooms look like.
Room was spacious and very clean. The housekeeping staff did a great job keeping up with us. There were 5 of us in that room!
The room across the hall was open-rm 308. It was very nice.
I think it may have been a honeymoon suite.
When we go back we will try to stay in that room. It had a great view of the main street and you could sit on the balcony.

If the staff of Main St. reads this I hope they know how much we appreciated everything.
You all were so friendly and helpful!

Will look forward to coming back home to Mackinac Island and staying at Main Street inn and suites!

Lisa

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member PredWing

Now living out of state, I hadn't been back to the island in a few years, but coming across this "great find," I'm already planning a trip back here next year.

My family had three rooms booked August 10th through 12th for a family wedding. From the dock porter to the front desk staff to the housekeepers.....everyone was personable and seemed happy to be working here.

The doors to the rooms are apparently left open (only when awaiting a guest to check in, not on stayover rooms). This allowed us to take a peek into the other styles of rooms, especially the beautiful suites.

The rooms were spotless. And when I say spotless, I'm a complete neat freak. That being said, my mom is beyond a neat freak, and she was very satisfied with the cleanliness of the rooms.

The air conditioning was wonderful (a rarity on the island, and not even window units, but actual air conditioning throughout the room). We all had mini refrigerators in our rooms, which we filled with beverages purchased at Doud's (the island's grocery store) and the many slabs of fudge we purchased.

Every night there was a turndown service with a complimentary box of fudge. What a treat!

Again, the staff was wonderful. In the short time we were guests, we grew accustomed to the familiar faces at the front desk and had many short but pleasant conversations each time we walked through the lobby to the elevator.

In 2008, I (if not more family members) will return to Mackinac Island for a much longer visit, and we are already debating which style of room to book at Main Street Inn and Suites.

Comments