2050 S US 41, Marquette, Michigan, 49855, United States

Portside Sign and Bar photoPortside Sign and Bar photo

whitewaterwhitewater

General Question

by BrianWeb

Back in the mid 70's there was a bar/rest. that served the best home made fries. It was called Paps Pub, I'm coming back to the UP next summer when I retire and was wondering if it is still in town. If anyone has any tips now days where there might be a great place to stay for a week,(that won't break the bank) please let me know. A place with a nice view would be great. Thank You, Brian.

Re: General Question

by KimberlyAnn

Hi Brian, I have been to Marquette quite often, and have not heard of the Paps Pub, but this doesn't necessarily mean it is no longer in town. I would suggest that you email Chet (yooperprof). Yooperprof (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/3447f) lives in Marquette, and if he hasn't heard of it, he could at least look in his phone book to see if it is listed.

I can't help you with the place to stay question, as we always stay on our boat or at a friends camp. Maybe Chet can help you there also, although I have found, being from a tourist town myself, that since I never use the motels/hotels, I don't know as much about them as I should. Still, maybe he knows enough to help you out.

I hope you enjoy your stay in the UP, Marquette is a very nice town, with lovely beaches, and historic buildings.

Re: General Question

by yooperprof

Hi! Let me ask my friends about Paps - I'm pretty sure someone will know what happened to the place.

Summer is of course our "high season" so I hope you can find a reasonably priced place to stay! I have directed friends to the Econo Lodge, which is a nice motel right across from the Lake:

Travel Tips for Marquette

What to see, where to find out about it.

by KimberlyAnn

Begin your trip at the Marquette Chamber of Commerce, where you will find maps, and many helpful pamphlets. These pamphlets range from information for tourists visiting Marquette and other areas in the Upper Peninsula, as well as pamphlets to help people who are relocating to Marquette. There is staff on hand to answer your questions, as well as postcards for sale. The Chamber of Commerce is Monday through Saturday, and is closed Sundays. Be sure to visit the lakeshore and take in the Maritime Museum.

Web : www.marquette.org
Phone: 888-578-6489
Address: 501 S. Front Road Sailing to Marquette (see my travelogue "Sailing to Marquette With Our Surprise Visitor") where we spent a few days on our way to the Picture Rocks National Lakeshore, we discovered that we had accidentally arrived during their Seafood Fest being held in the Harbor Park near the marina. During this Sea Food Fest weekend we had a great time listening to bands and sampling a wide variety of seafood at very reasonable prices. Also that summer the citizens of Marquette had been invited to create “family” poles to line the walks in the park. These poles would remain in place through out the summer and fall. Some of these were very creative. In 2007 the park was again decorated with local art, this time doors honoring women were lining the Harbor Park walkways. Photo 2 shows one of the 2007 doors in the park. (See my travelogue, “Summer Art In Mattson Lower Harbor Park“for photos of the family poles and additional doors.)

Presque Isle - a Frederick Law Olmsted gem

by yooperprof

The first stop for Marquette visitors ought to be Presque Isle park, at the end of Lakeshore Blvd. It's only a few minutes from the center of town, but it contains some beautiful natural features that begin to suggest the dramatic scenery of this area. It was deeded to the city of Marquette in the nineteenth century by a well-known Native American leader, Charlie Kawbagam, who is buried there. The landscape design for the park was created by the great Frederick Law Olmsted, of Central Park fame. There are some dramatic cliffs overlooking the lake, old rock formations billions of years old, and a pleasant beach. There is a one-lane road around the island, but you should walk the 2 mile circumfrence path if it is at all possible. Best of all, go to 'Inspiration Point' on a warm summer's eve for the sunset.

What is That Big Structure In the Lake?

by KimberlyAnn

In 2006 we spent two weeks in Marquette, at a friend’s dock near the Lower Harbor Park, and I discovered that many tourist come down to take pictures of the structure in my photo. I was also asked a number of times what it was. What you see in the photo, is the historic, Lower Harbor Ore Dock. At one time railroad cars moved onto this dock to unload iron ore into waiting ships. This ore was unloaded into the ship’s holds through chutes (also know as pockets). The rail tracks that use to carry iron ore to this ore dock have been removed, leaving behind this enormous landmark.

Farther down the lake near Presque Isle is a newer ore dock that is still in use today, often lowering its chutes to load taconite, a concentrated form of iron bearing rock, into the holds of large ships. (See photos 2 and 3). This steel-framed ore dock runs out into Lake Superior for almost a quarter of a mile, stands 75 feet above the water, and has about 200 pockets (chutes). A rail track, running about a mile over an earth embankment, carries rail cars bringing taconite pellets from the Cleveland Cliffs Iron’s taconite processing facility, which is located near a large open pit mine just south of the communities of Ishpeming and Negaunee. The rail cars move along the top of the ore dock and empty the pellets down through the ore dock’s pockets. About 20 to 30 large ore carriers come through Marquette each month to take on a load of taconite. The size of these large ships is usually in the 600 foot range. It is interesting to watch the ship’s loading. The chutes are lowered into the ship’s cargo hold, and then the taconite noisily pours into the hold. The boat then moves 20 or 30 feet and a new pocket is lowered and the taconite is emptied into the hold again. Sometimes you see a ship that is around a thousand feet in size. If you do, this is probably a ship that has come to Marquette to unload coal.

Red Sandstone Buildings

by yooperprof

Downtown Marquette has a strong concentration of interesting buildings, most of which are constructed with our local red sandstone - called Jacobsville Sandstone, for the region in the Keewenaw Peninsula where it was first discovered. There are outcropings of Jacobsville Sandstone at Presque Isle within the city limits, as well as at Little Preqsue Isle nearby. The Vierling Restaurant shown here is only one of our many sandstone constructions.

Marquette County Courthouse

by yooperprof

A source of civic pride, this courthouse was one of the authentic locations used in the 1959 film "Anatomy of a Murder." Old-timers still cherish the memory of the time that Hollywood came to the u.p. to film local author James Voelker's courtroom drama. I've talked with local residents who still remember when Jimmy Stewart and Lee Remick sat down for beers at a local tavern. The great director Otto Preminger cast local people as extras in the court scenes. And jazz legend Duke Ellington and his band also came to town to be part of the film. It was Marquette's moment of fame. Interesting note: in the summer of 2007, the Marquette County Courthouse was chosen to be the location for the First Day Issue (a big deal in the philately world!) of the Official Jimmy Stewart Commemorative Stamp. It was a fun event - our local congressman was there to help things along, and the Post Office even hired a Jimmy Stewart impersonator to sign autographys. Look inside for photos!

Comments