2501 Tittabawassee Rd, Saginaw, MI 48604
Booking.com HIExpress.com Expedia.com

More about Holiday Inn Express Suites Saginaw

Campground on Lake Huron

by Stephen-KarenConn about Harrisville State Park

We stayed here for three memorable nights within sight of Lake Huron. When the first light woke us in the mornings, we took our lawn chairs and walked barefoot through the sand a few steps out onto the beach, drank our tea, and watched the sun rise over the lake. This is a beautiful campground in an unusually scenic setting. Sites are level and mostly shaded with electrical hookups. Even though we were in a tent, we still used the electricity for lights and a hotplate for cooking. There is also a playground and clean restrooms with hot showers. The cost of buying our tent and the campground fee together was less than we've paid for a single night at some hotels, and most hotels aren't this much fun. Besides, we still have the tent.

Sleeping in Seattle and other places.

by dutch_anna

We travelled through the USA in May/June and in October. We always managed to have a hotel accomodation, without booking in advance. It takes more time to find something in the weekends and on special long weekends like Labor Day.
We had all kinds of hotels, motels, inns, etc., but it was always good. Cheap and "basic", or more expensive.
There is a booklet, free available at gas stations, rest areas and travelers centers: Roomsaver. It has coupons, giving discount on hotel prices, usually from Monday through Friday.

On the island

by tarced

On Mackinac Island, you cannot use a car. The hotels have horses and carriages, there are horse and carriage "taxis" and tours, and the most popular form of transport is a bicycle (which you can rent on the island). The horse and carriage you take to and from your hotel will not contain your luggage. Your luggage will arrive separately which can be convenient or not depending upon your perspective.

Packing List

by forensics1

Camping: Backpacks or duffle bags
Hotels: suitcases big enough for anything you want to add when you go home shorts;pants;sandels;sneakers;light coat (south) winter coat (north); bathing suits, tee-shirts. long sleeve shirts etc. SOAP, tooth paste, asprin, band-aids zoom lenses and wide angle tents, flashlights, sandels, bathing suit. mesh shorts, sunscreen, towels, sneakers, water bottles SUNGLASSES and SUNSCREEN

VIA RAIL ACROSS CANADA

by Davelyn

Spring & Fall Travel by Train across Canada are just wonderful as well as colourful. A 12 day Canrail Pass or even a 30 day North American Rail Pass are also available. Halifax to Vancouver in approx. 5 day with stops inbetween. Quebec City, Ottawa, Niagara Falls, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Jasper & on to Vancouver. The Skeena from Jasper to Prince George & Prince Rupert is a 2 day trip with an overnite in P.G. If you are thinking about taking the Skeena, book well in advance. You'll never forget that trip. B&B, Hotels a wonderful friendship all along the Canadian Way.

internet cafe

by phil1340

i was trying to look up in the online yellow pages internet cafe in adrian and detroit come up negitive they maybe called something else can someone help me on put me in the right direction

RE: internet cafe

by KalamazooJohn

I doubt there is an internet cafe in Adrian, and perhaps not in Detroit, either. Most people have access to their own computers and now most cafes have free wireless access. So bring your own computer and use it. We never had the internet cafes like in so many places. Public libraries usually have internet access for locals without their own computers.

RE: internet cafe

by UrbanFem

The only internet cafe I know of in Detroit is a Russian place in Hamtramck called Akson Service Center (3526 Caniff).

RE: RE: internet cafe

by CONNOROBRIAN

Any Kinko's or other big copy shop have internet available for people traveling for business. Many hotels have a set up in the lobby as well.

Where to stay near Mackinac Island....

by krizt

I am planning a trip to Mackinac Island and would like to stay at The Grand Hotel for one night. since it's so expensive I need a cheaper place to stay for the other two nights. I was wondering how long of a boat ride it is to the island, how much it costs, where it docks on the main land and if there are any nice hotels near the dock. Or, could stay on the island if there is a cheaper place to stay. Thanks!

by shdw100

The ferry from the mainland to the island is about 40 minutes, and costs $17 per person, rt.
As for the other hotels, there are others on the island that are not quite as expensive, around the 100-125 range, that are just as nice. Without having any cars on the island, I would suggest packing lightly as you will have to either take a carriage ride or bike/walk it to wherever you want to go on the island.
I would suggest doing a search in Google for Mackinaw Island, as it will probably be a little more informative.

Re: Re: Where to stay near Mackinac Island....

by yooperprof

There are two "mainland" ferry terminals, one in Mackinaw City and the other in St. Ignace. The ferry ride from St. Ignace is a little bit shorter - about 20/25 minutes as opposed to 40 from Mackinaw City - but it costs the same. If you're going to be on the island all three days I don't think it makes sense to "commute" every day. There are bed and breakfasts and guest houses on the island that provide their own bicycle- or horse-drawn transportation from one place to another. Enjoy your stay at the Grand - bring nice clothes!

by mdchachi

Check out mackinacisland.org and mackinac.com. There are many bed and breakfasts to choose from.

by Toby_Garbe

OHH Hello ! :) Well i live 30 miles south of Mackinaw and we go there all the time ! haha my second home :) There are plenty of places to stay on the main land and quit a bit cheaper than the Island itself , The Ramada is a nice place thats right in down town Mackinaw City or there are about 30 + hotles and they are all with in a few blocks of the docks , the bout ride is only about 15 minutes and thats half the fun !
When do you plan on going ? We like to go to the Dixie Saloon on Saturday Nights , or the Key Hole but the Dixie is alot of fun . Of course the Bars on the Island are lots of fun as well ! I think they even have T-shirts that say " I Survied the Mackinaw Island Pub Crawl" lol Well let me Know when you are coming and maybe we can have a beer !!! Good luck ohh and make sure to make reservations befor coming . If i dont hear from you , HAVE A GREAT TIME !!!

Skiing in the U. P.

by JRJanuszewski

Hi. I'm in Chicago and I'm thinking of driving up to the U.P. to go skiing from the 1-4th of January. Does anyone know of a good place to stay and ski? There will be two of us. Also, has anyone have any idea of the traffic and road conditions I would encounter?

Thanks!
-Jen

by yooperprof

Jen, I'm really partial to Marquette, which is where I live. It's a pleasant town on Lake Superior, with a lot of local character. (Check out my homepage!) The Landmark Hotel (on Front Street) has some lovely rooms and is a very nice place to stay. The ski hill here is a five minute drive out of town and has a 600 foot vertical drop. There's also excellent cross country ski-ing in the area, including some lighted trails. Road conditions are usually very good - they do amazing things with snow ploughs here - but pay attention to regional weather forecasts. (Marquette is about a 7 hour drive from the Loop - it's interstate up to Green Bay, then mostly 2 lane roads for the last 150 miles.)

by JRJanuszewski

Thanks! I totally forgot about Marquette. Isn't it near a college? Sad, I'm from lower Michigan and I don't even know where anything is in the U.P.

I'll check out your page. I really appreciate your help!

-Jen

by delcity

this might help ( www.goski.com )

by hoser_71

Most of the people I know who went skiiing in the UP would go to the Porcupine Mountains on the west side of the UP, by Ironwood. They have some nice ski hills over there, and you can find plenty of hotels and some cabins to rent too. If you're looking to rent a cabin I'ld check early because they get filled with snowmobiler's. The porcupines get more snow too because of it's location near Lake Superior. The winds pick up moisture over the lake, and then dumps it when it hits the mountains.

Because they deal with so much snow up there, they definately know how to remove it. Unless you're stuck in the middle of a blizzard, they keep the main highways clean of snow and ice. I've usually found that the traffic only gets bad on Memorial Day, the 4th, and Labor Day, so you'll be fine.

Have fun.

by JRJanuszewski

You guys are great! Thanks so much for the info.

by aussiedoug

Jen I think it depends on the level of your skiing to some degree. We've skiied up there a couple of times with our relatives who were then living in West Bend WI and we've skied (&stayed) at Big Sno which is really fun skiing and probably suited mostly to intermediate level skiers. We also skiied (& stayed) over at Whitecap Mountains Ski area which is actually in the top of Wisconsin. It is has a greater variety of skiing than Big Sno and probably caters a bit better for different levels of skiing ability. I loved skiing up there because the people are so genuine and down to earth. Mind you it's no Taos Ski Valley which is my favourite U.S. ski area, but that's a different story.

Comments