The Locks Make the Town
"The Locks Are the Anchor"
The locks were built starting in 1700's by a Canadian fur company to manage the rough rapids. They were destroyed in War of 1812, and then others were built, but not substantial. Over they years since around 1870's, they expanded and others were added to meet the needs of the larger ships coming through the locks.
"Lakes are Big and Long"
The lakes were treacherous for years and even in 1890 there were 1891 ships wrecks in the lakes, with 291 lives lost
"Tower of History"
This was built in 1968 by the Catholic Bishops that thought they would have a large complex for drawing people to its church and reverence. In 1980, they dedicated the site to the city which since has made it a tour mecca for the views of 1200 miles (they say) of the region. It is 210 feet high and a panorama of the city and locks.