1500 Town Ctr, Southfield, MI 48075

Westin.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

• TRimer's Profile Photo

A Westin That Needs Polishing

Usually when I visit our offices in Southfield, I stay at the Westin as it is connected to our office building. I have to admit- I really don't like staying here. While the lobby looks perfectly lovely and the staff is very nice, the rooms are just not up to date and often not very clean. I seriously wear my shoes in the room at night because I am afraid what is on the carpets. And one of my pet peeves- the cleaning staff ALWAYS leave the tub plug down so when you turn on the shower in the morning it fills up the tub- yuck. I have learned my lesson and made sure now that they do not give me one of their handicapp rooms- with no vanity and no real shower. Except for their heavenly beds it is difficult to tell that this is a Westin.

More about The Westin Southfield Detroit

Best Reunion Ever at the Westin Southfield

Our Family Reunion was the best ever. We enjoyed the entire hotel and the staff was went beyond our expectations. Usually we stay in St. Louis or Atlanta this year was Detroit's turn and we had a larger than normal turnout. The food was excellent, the guest rooms had all new beds, and the restaurant looked brand new. The staff was always waiting on us and we did not encounted any issues. Thank you Westin Southfield for giving our Family a Fabulous Experience.

unpleasantly not surprised

by TripAdvisor Member daqattaq

I guess I wrote my previous review too soon!!!! I just reviewed my credit card statement to find that the Westin Southfield charged us for our breakfasts at $20 per person. The problem is that our rooms had breakfasts included. We asked 3 times to make sure the breakfasts were included: once at check-in, once at breakfast and once more at check-out. All 3 times we were told that it was included. And they stilled billed us. So now we are in fight to have them remove the charges and they are not cooperating. We will NEVER stay at this hotel again. Avoid at all costs!!!!

Horrible service, staff has sticky fingers.

by TripAdvisor Member kellyeberry

This was a terrible stay. When we went to check in, the staff was extremely discourteous and unhelpful. We had a pair of shoes and a jacket stolen from our room. Not only was the front desk RUDE when we reported this, the manager was as well. We definitely did not feel safe here. I would recommend staying anywhere but here. I usually like staying at Westin hotels. Don't judge all Westin hotels based on this location...they are usually top notch.

Westin declines with the city

by TripAdvisor Member shikahgo

I have been to the Southfield Westin a dozen times over the past two years. Although the beds are always extremely comfortable, this hotel is in need of attention to level of service and it could definitely use periodic inspections of the rooms to correct small problems.

Virtually every single room I have been in has problems that I think would be so easy to detect and correct: chipped furniture, leaky coffee makers, non-working bath stops, inadequate cleaning, etc. It's easy to overlook these kind of problems when staff is exceptional. Unfortunately, service is truly substandard. In all of my visits, I have only encountered one person, Barbara, at the front desk who seemed really friendly and thorough. The best part of my visits there is when Joe, the doorman greets me and says "welcome back, how is your mother doing." Now that is what a frequent visitor wants to see. But not everyone is that talented. So, Westin, if you can't get your staff to give great friendly service, then at the very least, fix the rooms.

Although the location is convenient, I do not think this hotel lives up to the Westin standard and I have increasingly been staying at other hotels in the area when I am in Detroit. That is unfortunate. Because this would be my absolute first choice.

If only management would focus on attention to customer service - greet guests in the hall when you see them and say good morning -- focus on details in the rooms -- fix em. If they do, this hotel will truly be a great value.

The worst Westin I've ever stayed at

by TripAdvisor Member mustangcynth

I am a business traveler and have stayed at many different kinds of hotels. This by far was the worst hotel due mainly to the incredibly poor service starting at the front desk and all the way down to the bartender. The room I stayed at had orange rust stains all over the bedskirt. The "heavenly bath" was more like hell. The shower had black mold in the crevices of the caulk. There was nothing special about the bathroom or shower. The area/location of this hotel is shady, it's a very old outdated Westin. I have stayed at many Westin's and this one was really the worst. I would not recommend it. Their breakfast buffet was even horrible. At a Westin you should at least expect a nice array of fresh fruits, meats, cheeses as well as the standard breakfast items. I had a better breakfast at the Hampton Inn in small town West Virginia last week.

Good luck if you pick this hotel. And if you do, I'd love to see your review.

Not bad - but not up to Westin par, either

by TripAdvisor Member Chicago75

I got my room for $72/night with Hotwire, which made my stay a great value. Clean, comfortable bed, courteous staff, prompt room service. On the down side, the carpeting was stained, the elevators were slow (I was told that one group became stuck in one while I was there), and my room had a slight musty odor. Had I paid normal Westin prices I would be extremely upset. However, for what I paid this was a great value. Definitely not up to the standards of what you would find at a Westin in New York, L.A., or Chicago, though.

Fair enough

by TripAdvisor Member ladydocinchitown

I stayed on a business trip in late June and again in July. The hotel is in need of some updating, but was fine for the most part.

The people at the front desk were friendly enough.

The restaurant has a few challenges to work out. Whether in the AM, at lunch, or at dinner, service takes forever and a day. Even with only two or three other tables, you can count on spending more than hour for something as simple as scrambled eggs or a salad (depending on the time of day). The food however, is good for hotel fare.

Overall the hotel is okay, but I would not say that it is on par with other Westin's I have visited.

Service needs attention

by TripAdvisor Member markds

When we arrived we were given a room that smelled of cigarette smoke (eventhough it is supposed to be a non-smoking hotel). We called the front desk and was told that they "would send up an ozone machine". This was not an acceptable response. Eventually, but after being kept on hold a long time, they agreed to give us another room. The process of transferring after that was NOT smooth.

The next day we left at about 10:15 AM. When we returned at 5:30 tired and wanting to rest for the evening our room was first in the process of being cleaned! Another strike against the hotel. The hotel has a "in need of renovation" look.

Three weeks prior we stayed at a Courtyard by Mariott in Farmington, MI. It was $30 dollars a night cheaper and an overall much better hotel.

Good for people with pets

by TripAdvisor Member petchia

The hotel itself was okay. Definitely nice and clean. We stayed for one night with nothing to complain about. Also there is a starbucks in the lobby which is probably good for business travelers.

Our room was kind of narrow and across from the ice machine. Also the view was overlooking the freeway so nothing to write home about for sure. But noise didn't end up being a problem.

The best thing was that this Westin allows pets without an extra fee or deposit, so we could have our dog with us! =) This was the best part of the whole trip!

So nothing to complain about, and loved the pet policy.

Comments