701 S. Lake Ave., Duluth, Minnesota, 55802, United States

South Pier Inn on the Canal
Booking.com Priceline.com

• Zero Privacy - South Pier Inn Duluth MN

People I never felt so compelled to warn other people about hotel, so I'm writing this review. I want to start out by saying that I have stayed at many hotels in my years as a Fortune 1000 executive. However, I'm a realistic person and know a good or bad thing when I experience it. I was so excited to be so close to the bridge at South Pier. I wanted to be as close as possible to the boats. The rooms are clean and location is great. All rooms other than the large corner suite will have the terrible situation I will describe.

Every room has a main window and a smaller (but still large) window facing either the bridge or harbor. The smaller window allows the guests in the next room to look right into your room. I don't mean a little look, their view faces right in your door and all of your other windows. This was the poorest architecture I have ever seen. They can see your ENTIRE room including a full view of your bed. Two separate neighbors in two separate nights and my wife caught them looking in at her and our room multiple times. They were probably unintentional but you can't even enjoy your stay. Your neighbors come to that window when they see boats, so you will see them multiple times daily/nightly.

We had to close the blinds! There was no way to know when your neighbor would be at their window, so you couldn't relax at all. If you choose to stay there after reading this, you were warned. Trust me you will never stay there again due to this terrible window placement. Once you walk in the room and view your neighbor's window facing right at your room. It's a total invasion of privacy. If you choose to pay the very high price to stay your nightmare will begin when you see the window that I'm talking about. Within 1 hour you will see someone looking at a boat but also looking at you and what you're doing. I found 3 other posts describing this situation online. Take my advice on this one.

All the best,

Mike

Unique Quality: close to bridge

Directions: next to lift bridge

• BrendaSonnabend's Profile Photo

Stay Right Down on the Water at South Pier Inn!

This motel was brand new the spring of 2002. It is located right across the ariel lift bridge on Park Point. They have regular motel rooms which face Park Point and they have suites that face the harbor and the bridge with private balconies. The view is absolutely gorgeous and wonderful to be able to see ships pass right by your room. Eash room is equipped with a refrigerator and some with microwaves too. They have an excellent continental breakfast with fresh pastries from Johnson's Bakery, fresh fruit, flavored coffees, cocoa and lots of different juices. They offer high speed internet in each room and also have a laptop available in the lobby for guests too use. The staff is wonderful and always willing to help with anything.

Unique Quality: We stayed in the the corner suite with a view of the bridge and the harbor. It had a seperate bedroom with a King bed and a window to the harbor; a queen pull out sofa in the living room; a fireplace and jacuzzi; a microwave and a refrigerator. Because we were on the top floor we also had vaulted ceilings and a terrific view to the bridge.

Directions: Just on the other side of the ariel lift bridge on Park Point.

Comments