350 Canal Park Drive, Duluth, Minnesota, 55802, United States
Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com Travelocity

More about The Inn On Lake Superior

Great stay

by TripAdvisor Member chinkling ice

We have stayed at the Inn many times and we are always anxious to return. We always get a lakeside room and Lake Superior couldn't be much closer so boat watching is easy. You are also right by the Lake Walk and there are endless activities there. In Canal Park you can shop, go to galleries, rent pedal vehicles, go on Segue Tours and much more. The hotel has great facilities and you can even enjoy a "smore" treat (you roast your own marshmallows) and story time in the evening. They also have a huge buffet breakfast each morning that is included in the price of the room. What more could you want?

Would NEVER Stay Here Again

by TripAdvisor Member mikie12

Three nights in this hotel was more than anyone should have to put up with. I cannot see what all the hype is about.

The beds are terrible, maid service non existant, and the "gourmet" breakfast was a joke.

Would not recommend this to anyone.

Fantastic, family and pet friendly A+

by TripAdvisor Member The_Magic_Chef

Over the years we have stayed in numerous hotels in Canal Park: Comfort Inn and Suites, Hampton Inn and now the Inn on Lake Superior. What can I say other than it was fantastic! The other hotels mentioned were great too but the Inn is a notch above.

We had a room overlooking the lake and on this trip we brought our dog along so this time, we were in a "pet room" - other than being called a pet room, it was just as nice, just as clean and just as well kept up as the other rooms in the hotel. The staff even gives you a doggie care package which included some treats, a bandana, a toy, a dish and a tag for your poochies collar in case he or she was lost. They also give you a loaner blanket which is logoed just for your pet ("A place to rest your weary paws").

The rooms and bathrooms were very clean and very comfortable. There is nothing else to say about that. Clean.

Service at the desk was GREAT and there were many benefits to the guests that helped save us money. Every night (yes EVERY night) year round they fire up a gas fire pit behind the hotel on the lake walk and provide supplies to make 'smores. FREE!

On certain nights they have a gas grill set up and the staff will give you hot dogs and chips. FREE!

All day long you can get coffee and hot chocolate. FREE!

The breakfast offered in the morning is the usual standard fare (rolls, toast, juice, cereal, waffles, etc) but again, FREE! For a large family, these perks add up.

There are two pools, one inside, one ON THE ROOF which is kept at 100*+ year round so you can swim outside when the lake is frozen solid!

I believe there are exercise facilities as well as internet stations available for use too. Daily information is provided with regards to ship arrivals and departures.

They also offer free use of wagons and bicycles for both adults and kids. Great location, clean, pet friendly and close to everything in Canal Park.

A+!

One of the best places on the lake!

This is one of the best hotels on Lake Superior in Duluth! I come here around 6 times a year with my family, and trust me, this is by far the best place to stay! The location is excellent (right on the boardwalk), the rooms are great, and the breakfasts are amazing.
If traveling with children, summer is the best. Every night there is a campfire complete with stories and you get to make your own s'mores there as well... yes, everyone can, not just the kids!
I would recommend this to anyone!

Fun hotel for families

by TripAdvisor Member OUZ

We rented a two-room family suite for 4 adults and 2 kids. The room overlooked Lake Superior and even though it was the dead of winter, the view is still great. The hotel was packed, but our family thought the staff did a nice job of keeping up with the crowds. There were always plenty of towels in both pool areas. The rooftop pool is not big, maybe 15x15. I would question whether the water temp was really 102.5 as the hotel claims. But the water was warm enough even in 15 degree weather, and the kids thought it was pretty cool swimming outside in the winter. The breakfast area is a step above the standard continental type. They have 3 waffle makers, yogurt, fresh fruit, 5+ types of dry cereals, a couple types of coffee, two juice machines with several flavors, lots of doughnuts, bagels, and the like. Even with all the people, there were two attendants constantly refilling things.
The fitness room is nice. There are 3 commercial grade treadmills, 3 stationary bicycles and a rack of dumbbells up to 40 lbs.
The hotel puts a couple complimentary cans of soda and bottles of water in the room refrigerators. Also, kids can have a "pet guppy" during their stay (a fish in a jar). The biggest hit with the kids was the nightly s'mores. The hotel has a "bonfire" (gas fired circular pit)outside and they put out graham crackers, marshmallows, and Hershey bars. The location is great, near restaurants, shops, sightseeing options, etc. Inn on Lake Superior is a great family getaway hotel.

Wish you were at The INN

by TripAdvisor Member GILLEN2724

Nice place. Loved the rooftop pool. Good breakfast. Only downside - the cleaning crew didn't vaccuum daily, forgot coffee and towels once too. But, again, we'll try again. Great view of lake too!

Needs a face-lift......

This place has been so popular and well used by families since it opened that it already needs some of the rooms re-done. The one they tried to give me had old carpeting, almost worn out in several areas. The room reeked of Febreeze so bad I had to vacate. There were crumbs in the chairs and on the floor and a huge spray of something across the wall (pop or champagne I hope). The bed spreads were unclean looking and were unraveling around the seams. To get to the room I had to walk down hallways filled with huge 3-4 ft bags of soiled linen. The maid looked like a druggie - there's no easy way to say that, but that's what I thought the minute I saw her staring at me. The front desk staff was SUPER HELPFUL though. It was very busy and they handled everything fairly quickly and professionally. This place has been over used and under cleaned and maintained.

Probably wouldn't stay again.

by TripAdvisor Member cbrugg

We stayed at The Inn on Lake Superior July 2-5.

Cons:

1. Our check-in experience was a nightmare! We arrived at 3:00 pm to find a line 30 people long. We stood in this line for an hour. When we finally arrive at the front desk, we were told our room was not yet clean and to have a seat in the lobby. We sat there another 1/2 hour before we were finally called back up to the front desk. Everyone else, including many people behind us in line, already had their rooms. After observing many other guests being offered gift certificates for the inconvenience, my husband inquired about this and we were given a gift certificate for a very nice local Italian restaurant. We were told the wait was due to a shortage of help in the laundry. Apparently, the shortage of help is an ongoing problem since I observed the same thing happening each day at check-in time.

2. Housekeeping was seriously lacking. On the afternoon of the second day, the housekeeper asked if we needed our room serviced. When I told her yes, she asked if I just needed clean towels. I replied that I would like fresh linens also. Well, that was exactly what she did. She did not vacuum or scrub the bathroom floor.

3. The indoor pool was nice, but the pool area was so hot that it was very uncomfortable if you were not swimming. (I was in there supervising my 8 year old) There was an ongoing shortage of pool towels (I only saw towels on the shelves one time).

4. The continental breakfast boasts over 30 items. What they don't tell you is: There are really only about 15 different items. They just have 2 different serving areas, each contain identical items.

Pros:

1. The guest rooms were quite nice. The linens looked to be very new and the beds (including the sleep sofa) were very comfortable.

2. The rooftop pool was the place to be. Not many people made use of this pool, so it was quiet and the weather was perfect during our stay.

3. The hotel provided free use of bicycles. Our family took advantage of this several times.

4. There was always lemonade, hot chocolate and coffee available throughout the day. There was also fresh fruit available in the breakfast areas all day. The smores served each night were also a nice treat.

5. The hotel is very convenient to the Canal Park area of Duluth, although it can be a bit noisy at night.

Although this hotel did have a lot of good points, in our opinion, the negatives outweigh the positives. We probably won't stay here again.

We had a great stay during Grandma's Marathon

by TripAdvisor Member Hibbing1

Family of four spent three nights during the big Grandma's Marathon weekend in June. I was lucky enough to book the room a month earlier. Our room was on the ground floor lakeside. The staff was great. The cleaning people were curtious. We have stayed at several of the Canal Park hotels over the years and love the Inn. The location, the extras, the view, and the personnel all add to our enjoyment of this hotel. The proximity to the finish line is also a positive.

We liked it so much we booked again for next year.

Great Stay, Good Price

by TripAdvisor Member Happy_TravelerMPLS

We stayed at the property on December 25th while in Duluth visiting family for Christmas.

We were able to check in early, the staff was friendly and helpful. At night, there was a fire outside to enjoy cocoa and smores by the lake.

Our spacious room had a small balcony which we enjoyed looking at the city and the lake. We also took a quick dip in the outdoor pool at night, just for fun.

The bed was VERY comfortable.

The drawbacks of the property; thinish walls as we heard noise from other rooms / hallways, and I wasn't able to figure out how to work the fan for constant white noise. The breakfast was good, but the selection was a bit thin. One nice touch is that they provide "Breakfast to Go" bags for guests not wanting to take the time to sit and eat.

Last year we stayed at the South Pier Inn, which has better decor, and is much more quiet and romantic, but was more expensive with a lot fewer amenities (pools, breakfast, fireplace outside).

All in all, a good experience and we will stay there again next year at Christmas!

Comments