Best Western The Normandy Inn & Suites

Price and Rating Equal to similar hotels

See Travelers Recommended Hotels
CMIRily's Profile Photo

Anniversary weekend ruined...

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 10, 2014

August 17, 2014 at 3:19am, hotel phone rings, I answer to a man who informs me that we are not authorized to be in our hotel room and brusquely says "What's your name?" Afraid it was an elaborate scam, I wasn't about to tell him my name. I hand the phone to my husband. The man on the phone proceeds to vocally accost my husband and notifies him that security would be sent to our room. Knock, knock...a huge, hairy goon arrives dressed in a black suit and red tie looking like a reject from The Sopranos. My husband asks for an ID, goon refuses, so he would not open the door to this complete stranger in an unfamiliar city. The stranger leaves. My husband eventually, at 4:00am, goes to the front desk to clear up the situation demanding to see the registration form that he had signed upon our arrival. The front desk clerk doesn't bother to look for it and my husband is again treated like a criminal squatter and threatened with police action and our immediate eviction. Meanwhile I sit in the room, in tears, trying to wrap my head around this unprecedented turn of events. My husband returns to the room and tells me to try to get some sleep but we're unsure if there will be another knock on the door from Mr. Goon or police.
Epilogue: Our misplaced paperwork was later discovered and a new employee was blamed for not checking us in properly. The whole incident was handled atrociously and only after insisting to speak with the manager were we comped our two night stay. (Note: the hotel itself made no overture to "make things right." It was only at our insistence that we weren't charged.)
Did I mention this was our 34th anniversary getaway? You're right, we aren't teenagers. We're in our 60s. Instead of remembering our wonderful weekend, I recall spending an entire Sunday trying to catch up on the sleep we lost from the trauma rather than enjoying the sights of Minneapolis. The main thing we asked for was an apology from the night clerk who treated us despicably. Not a word, verbally or written was offered.
It's difficult to give a review on the facility itself after this whole affair. My recommendation would be...ALWAYS ASK FOR A COPY OF YOUR REGISTRATION. You never know if you'll need it at 3:19 in the morning!

Redlats's Profile Photo

We used VT advertising!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 7, 2002

We found a 3 star (Best Western) motel in South Saint Paul for $76US per night for four people using the internet motel site advertised on VT. How's that for using the Virtual Tourist sponsors!

We tried shopping for a B&B using the internet, but when I actually phoned some of them, none could accommodate four people without going to renting two rooms. And even if we fit in one room, there are certainly no bargains in the B&B world compared to our motel.

Unique Quality: In 2001, it was a brand new hotel, with breakfast included.

Directions: South Saint Paul

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Minneapolis Travel Forum

Need advice about Minneapolis, Minnesota? Visit the Travel Forum for Minneapolis and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Minneapolis hotel reviews

Information / Sources
Lakes / Rivers
Lakewood Cemetery
Things to Do
Riverfront: Mill City Museum; what's inside?
Things to Do
Uptown: a little bit of everything
Shopping