1001 Marquette Ave S, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55403-2440, United States

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hilton Minneapolis

So Close to So Much

by DueSer about Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington

I don't usually mention chain hotels in my tips but this is the exception. This is a nice hotel - your typical hotel but it is so perfectly situated that it makes a stay in the Twin Cities area one hundred times simpler than staying anywhere else, especially if you don't have a car.

I'll talk about all that under Unique Qualities but let me just talk a little about the hotel itself. There's a nice waterfall in the lobby and the rooms are very comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

The only things I don't really like about the hotel are that it's a Hilton so they charge for everything (no free computer to use in the lobby, no free breakfast buffet in the mornings) and the hotel restaurant (Mr. Chef, please put down the salt!) but those are minor quibbles when you have amazing soft sheets, comfy beds, and Crabtree & Evelyn amenities in the bathroom (oh, and HDTVs in the rooms).

And, thankfully, they take pets:-) So what makes this place so special? It's location.

1) It is literally across the road from one of the best places in Minnesota - the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. If you even mildly like nature you need to go here (see my Things to Do tip about this wonderful place) but if you love nature, staying at this hotel allows you to easily run over to the MVNWR at great times, like early in the morning or late in the evening when there are more animals to see.

2) It is just a couple minutes from the Mall of America and the airport and the hotel offers free shuttle buses to both. Again, see my Things to Do tip about how to survive the Mall of America (and if you should even attempt to go at all) but if you do go, their shuttle service makes it so much easier. Even if you have a car, you don't really need it at this hotel.

3) It is a short walk (5 minutes at the most) over to the Hiawatha Light Rail system that connects you from there to the rest of the area. For example, when you're in Bloomington, you are a LONG ways from downtown Minneapolis and all the shopping, sporting events, etc. that offers but just hop on the rail line and you'll be there in no time and once you get there, you won't need to search for a parking place. The light rail's website is www.metrotransit.org/light-rail.aspx.

The Hilton is good but Hell's Kitchen is fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member azone

We recently stayed at the Hilton Minneapolis which is conveniently located to the convention center and downtown. However, if you want a terrific breakfast rather than the standard buffet breakfast the hotel serves walk across the street and just around the corner to Hell's Kitchen. Wow! Fantastic! Terrific! What can I say. . . everyone was amazing . . . the bucket of bread. . . the caramel pecan rolls. . . the rosti potatoes. BIG cups of coffee . . . homemade. . . yes, homemade ketchup and peanut butter. And the price is darn good too.

Convenient Location, Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member princesschloe

We stayed at the Hilton Minneapolis Downtown hotel for a weekend trip to the Twin Cities. It is a nice hotel with a great location to all the downtown attractions. It's right on the skyway system only about 5 minutes to the Convention Center.
We did what Hilton calls a Bounceback weekend rate which includes breakfast for only $10 more per night. We thought this was a great deal because the breakfast they give you is worth $14 per person in the restaurant. The hotel restaurant, the Skywater, is good, with helpful staff and a varied menu.
The common areas of the hotel are nice, and the place has been newly remodelled. The rooms are average, although nicely decorated, with a beautiful bathroom. The desk has a Herman Miller chair, and the bed is not bad, with nice linens and plenty of down pillows.
The negatives: Check-in time is 3pm. We arrived around 4pm and waited until around 5:30 for our room to be ready. We wanted to check our later than noon and they wanted to charge us $75 for a late check out.
Parking is hard to find on the weekend. There were no spots our first spin through the parking ramp, and our second round through we found one that was fairly convenient, but it certainly wasn't plentiful. It's also $12/day to park. They've got valet parking for $8 more per day, but there's a limit on size of vehicle they'll park. The parking ramp is pretty tight too, so be careful if you have a full size pickup.
Another negative was that they didn't replenish our towels when they cleaned our room, so I had to call housekeeping and get towels brought up to us, so although it wasn't a big deal, I'm glad I noticed before hopping in the shower.
Overall, the Hilton is a nice hotel, but it's really nothing special for the price you pay. We paid $180/night and I guess I expected more for my money. I think I'd try another hotel next time I travel to the Cities.

Don't stay in the same hotel with the Campus Crusade for Christ

by TripAdvisor Member ArtsAnne

Our family -- my husband and son, mother in law, sister- and brother in law and their daughter -- have gathered in Minneapolis each winter for the past five or six years. Since we live in Madison, WI, and they live in rural western Minnesota, this trip has always been a much loved tradition which gives us a chance to spend time together and have some fun in the big city. This past winter, however, our trip was marred by dire circumstances at the Minneapolis Hilton and Towers.

We had stayed in the hotel in the past and had really enjoyed it. Alas, this year our family trip coincided with the annual regional Campus Crusade for Christ convention. The 1000+ college students staying in the hotel were polite enough during the day, although it was mildly irritating having to step over them praying in the hallways in the afternoon, but nightmares ensued at night. The partying was nonstop and the noise level was deafening. We did complain and switched rooms one night, to try to get away from the noise, to no avail, since the students pretty much filled the entire hotel. On the last night of our stay, my 84 year old mother in law resorted to calling security at 3 am to try to get the students to shut up, or at least party inside their rooms. They didn't, and we all ended up sleepless the entire night.

In addition, the hotel was undergoing construction on several floors, and I was awakened one morning during our stay at 5:30 am to the faint but distinct and insistent sounds of drilling and sawing directly overhead.

The response of the hotel front desk staff to these troubles was one of mild-very mild-concern, if that. I didn't hear anything like an apology when I went downstairs at 5:30 am to ask that the construction stop, and there were only half hearted apologies when we complained about the students' partying. The staff was adamant that they couldn't refund our room payments, since we had booked through Expedia. I guess I do understand that policy, but I think it's very bad customer relations.

And so....the Minneapolis Hilton has lost our entire family as customers. Even though we would be sure not to ever again take our vacation at the same time as the annual Campus Crusade convention, we all have bad enough feelings about our experience that we would not consider returning.

Good to Average but great beds and pillows

by TripAdvisor Member Terriv

Room isn't much more than the standard hotel room. Nice amenities such as a silver ice bucket, full sized coffee maker, AWESOME pillows and bedding. Probably the softest bedding I have ever slept on and I buy quality linens.

Had to obtain receipt for check out at front desk as a letter outside of the room in the morning stated my folio would not fit under the door. Not convenient when you are in a rush and used to having express check out.

Exec floor lounge was nice, nothing posh or to brag about, but the selection of beverages was decent and the continental breakfast was great, huge, fresh muffins and fresh fruit were delish.

Best Bed in the World!

by TripAdvisor Member Crysha

I stayed at this hotel during one of the coldest, rainiest days ever. Despite the weather and a complicated parking situation, the hotel was fantastic! The check-in process was quick. The room and view was great. The heating system was fantastic! And the bed was heavenly! I have never slept so well in my life. I will pay again and again to sleep in their beds. The hotel was centrally located so that you could walk to places to eat if you did not want to eat in the expensive restaurant. In the morning, the restaturant is busy and the waitresses slightly rude, but it seems to be a well-oiled machine. I ordered a dinner meal in the hotel restaurant and the waiter got the order wrong, but he had such a good sense of humor, it didn't really bother me. I will stay here again.

Lovely hotel in downtown Minneapolis

by TripAdvisor Member JGP4

I spent two nights at the Hilton as part of a business trip. The public areas are spacious and the lobby is a large open area. Staff were very friendly and for the most part, helpful. My room was on the 22nd floor (Hilton Honors - Gold) and I had a nice view of downtown Minneapolis. The room was what you would expect of a Hilton - comfortable. Exceptionally wonderful bed with neck pillows (nice touch). Room was clean, everything worked.

The hotel is connected to the skyway system which makes it comfortable to explore the downtown area in winter as you are indoors the whole time.

Hotel restaurant had good food and exceptionally good staff for a hotel restaurant.

No minuses at all. It was a very comfortable stay.

Needs Cleaning!

by TripAdvisor Member dekalb692000

We stayed at the Mpls Hilton in Dec. 06 during a convention. I couldn't believe how dirty the hotel room was. The bathroom had a dirty film on all of the stainless, on the ledge in front of the counter and toilet tank. The toilet had something smeared all over the side and even on the seat (you can imagine what it was!). There was something that had run down the wall by the table and never cleaned up and the glass on the pictures looked like liquid had dried all over it. Not to mention that the lamp shades had so much dust on them that they looked furry! I felt it was extremely dirty! The beds looked like they were going to be very comfortable...but.....looks are deceiving! Unfortunately these reservations were booked through the company and there was not another room available. When I told the desk clerk, upon checkout, she just mumbled "Sorry". I didn't fill out a complaint form because I was afraid it wouldn't get to management but I did e-mail management the next day and never heard back from anyone.

Convenient to downtown

by TripAdvisor Member trs333

I stayed at this hotel because I got a group rate for attending the Women's Expo at the convention center. It is so nice to be able to walk indoors (skyways) to the convention center and also to a bunch of really great bars and restaurants (must try Market BBQ with the bright neon light flashing - looks like a big pig).
Parking is located below the hotel (but beware it does cost $12 for a 24 hour period). I called ahead and asked for an early checkin and they got me in by 12noon which was much appreciated. Check-in was quick and easy, the clerk was from the DR and all of the employees from other countries have a name tag that says where they are formerly from. I thought that that was really interesting, they spoke perfect English and were very polite. The next thing that I noticed after checkin was that the bellboys stading by the front door (street side) of the hotel are the most kind and considerated that I have ever seen in any hotel. In the evening while waiting for a taxi there was a woman in a cute little dress outside smoking a cigarette, she was obviously cold so the belloboy actually let her wear his big overcoat.
The escelator to the lower level parking lot was broken all weekend, but you can use the elevators. The swimming pool and hot tub are ok sized (but only 5ft deep), and are made out of stainless steel, the sauna is outside of the pool room in the excercise room.
We did not eat at the restaurant or order room service because the prices are ridiculous.
Our room was nice (but small) no complaints about the room. We had a nice view of the city (which I requested). The shower was the best ! very high water pressure. The bathroom had lots of extra little goodies and they were quality products.
Bring your own pillow. Theirs are nice but they are all really big and fluffy but of course that is a matter of preference.
The lobby is full of mirrors which I found to be very spooky and ugly at the same time. The coffe shop never opened the whole weekend but I suppose that it is there for the business crowds during the week.
Overall it was ok, but not the best. I would only stay again if the rates were lower.

Comments