Mall Of America Grand Hotel

Fountain, GaviidaeFountain, Gaviidae

Winchell TrailWinchell Trail

Mom is getting out!!!

by Sadiesmom

Two mid-30's women are ditching the husbands and kid and heading into Minneapolis for three days at the end of August. We'll do a perfunctory cruise through the Mall, some shopping in Uptown and have breakfast at Hell's Kitchen.
Where else should we go? Specifically, what are some great restaurants for gossiping and giggling and catching up over drinks? I know that we'll eat at Chino Latino one night, but that leaves two other dinners and lunches and I need some inspiration.
Thanks!

by goodfish

Sounds like fun - can I come?? If you are downtown, you MUST have at least one drink on the rooftop deck at Brits. I just wrote about it on my pages so check it out. The Local is also great - lots of cozy "snugs" and corners to relax in (on my pages too). Hit early happy hour (4-6) at McCormick and Schmick, grab a table outside and indulge in the best happy hour appetizer menu in town ($1.99 - $3.99 - menu changes daily). We often make dinner out of this stuff! My husband tells me that Masa has great food - haven't been there yet.

The Minneapolis Institute of Art is really good, if you like art. We love to walk the riverfront (near the new Guthrie Theater, downtown). Even if you don't have Guthrie tickets, stop in and take the elevator to the fabulous outdoor observation deck. It has great views of the river! If there's a matinee or show going on, you can get a drink at the bar and enjoy it while you lounge outside. If you're close to Uptown, take a walk around Lake of the Isles or Lake Calhoun - very pretty!!! Have fun!!

by lhforrette

I'm also in my mid-30's and I have a 3 week old so I know the feeling of needing out but I'm years from your situation I imagine(as I need to put in ALOT more time before I'm let out for a weekend.

My Minneapolis suggestions....

Best vibe in Minneapolis for a breakfast is Cafe Barbette. Somehow it's really hip but unpretentious at the same time. Perfect for Minnesota. Come as you are.

I'm also a fan of Bar Salut in Edina....if it's not too hot it's nice to sit outside...

If you want wonderful Greek food go here to the Minneapolis location...

If you would like to drink outside on a sunny day surrounded by Oak trees there is only one place to do it in Minneapolis. Oh yeah...fresh seafood too.... and the sound of Minnehaha falls in the background.

Enjoy your time off. I'm certain you deserve it. Laying these places out has been bittersweet....I can't wait under my daughter is old enough to come along to them!

Lucien

by laforstraveller

While you are at MOA, make sure to eat lunch at Tucci Bennuch. They have wonderful Italian food at a decent price. My favorite--the veal parmesan. Their desserts are wonderful too! They also have a pretty decent wine list.

Uptown has a lot of wonderful restaurants--Chino Latino as you already know--is a favorite with the locals.

A fun place to eat is the Melting Pot--a place for fondue. Their website is www.meltingpot.com.

I would also suggest checking out the City Pages for additional restaurant suggestions. You can look for exactly what you're in the mood for, and get some unbiased reviews. www.citypages.com

Have fun!

Travel Tips for Minneapolis

Oh my Coldness! 40 below...

by Summerwind

Oh my Coldness! 40 below Annoka hennepin County Juniorhighschool working with Bill Buth a german-teacher as an amity-aide exchange-student living with two guest-families. Paul and cathy Kulas at WestRiverroad by the Mississippi Concerts / One Million-Dollar-Hotel (like in the Film of Wim Wenders) / Nanou/Helen/Claudia/Mathu/Gisela/ Trip to Chicago/Florida

The mighty Mississippi

by acemj

The mighty Mississippi starts in Minnesota and divides the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Unfortunately, the water is a bit too rough here for swimming, but it makes great photos and is still a major commercial thoroughfare.

tipping at restaurants and anywhere else

by Faracy

We tip, but we are not huge tippers... It is definantly customary to leave a 10 - 15 percent tip for your server at a restaurant, but very rarely more.. and often less.
Realize that your friendly server is probably making less than 5.00 dollars an hour wage, and needs this money to live. Yes, there are some very rich servers, but this is only because people loosen up a little with their cash at some places more than others... probably the ones most VTers will not be dining in because they are too expensive.
For those from non-tipping societies.. America is a service society.. you get the service you pay for.. which is good and bad.
You will be considered rude if you don´t tip at at least sit down restaurants. you have to alot money for it.

Xcel Energy Center Home of the WILD(NHL)

by lkdahl

O.K. so the 2004-05 season doesn't look like it's happening with the "lock out". But in normal years the Minnesota Wild take to the ice on this state of the art arena.

The arena was built to accomadate the expansion Wild and has spurned a rebirth in a once dead downtown St. Paul. Tickets are extremely hard to come by for the Wild games so you may have to pay a premium, if you know what I mean. ;(

Besides NHL hockey, the arena also has a professional Lacrosse team that plays here, hosts the WCHA Final 5 college hockey tournament, NCAA hockey tournament, and the VERY popular State High School Hockey Tournament. One of Minnesota's mottos is "The State of Hockey".

The arena was also rated as one of the top venues for concerts and regulary books the TOP acts. Noteable acts that have played here are, Prince, Pavarotti, Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan and The Eagles and many more.

Bunker Lake

by laforstraveller

Bunker Lake Park is an amazing area to explore. My family and I have lived just 10-15 minutes away for the past 5 years, yet we just discovered the fun to be had there. There is Bunker Beach which is a water park that has a wonderful kiddie play pool, the largest wave pool in MN, and a handful of slides for the older crowd. They also have a sand play area for the little ones--keeps my 3 year old busy for at least an hour.

There are a couple of playground areas, a Veteran's Memorial, several picnic pavillions, hiking/biking trails, horse trail rides, camping, golfing, etc. There is so much to see and do there.

There is a $5.00 entrance fee (or you can pay $25 for a year's pass to all of the Anoka County Parks) for the park itself. Bunker Beach charges additional fees--they offer a hefty discount after 4 pm closing at 7 pm. I don't know what the fee is to camp there.

To get there, take 35 W North to Hwy 10. Go West on Hwy 10, exit on Main St (Cty Hwy 242). Go right on Main St.. It's just a mile or so past Hanson Blvd on your left. If you reach Hwy 65 (Central Ave), then you've gone too far.

Comments