5601 West 78th St., Bloomington, Minnesota, 55439, United States
Sheraton Bloomingt Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Sofitel Minneapolis

Liked Sofitel

The Sofitel is visually striking and enjoyable. I think my stay was affected by my getting an excellent deal through Priceline. My room was obviously not recently refurbished. Unencouraged by me, the clerk wanted to move me to a nicer room, but her supervisor came over and overruled her. I don't know why, but given my reservation through Priceline and the condition of my room, I can guess what her reasoning might have been. The tv was small--if you're hoping to stay in and watch a movie, this might not be the place for you. However, the room had a nice king size bed, desk, and sitting area. Room service was very good and, if you use discretion, it can be reasonably priced. The bed and linens were extremely comfortable. The hotel was fairly quiet, although the rooms facing the lobby are within earshot of 24-7 lobby music. The personnel were generally friendly and attentive. I appreciated the free parking; it's hard to get at nice hotels in Minneapolis.

Beware- 2 star vs 4 star!!

by TripAdvisor Member jeonyc

Here is the deal, only stay here if you will be in a renovated room. Otherwise the unrenovated rooms look like your grandma's home from the 1970's. A real scam! When I asked for a renovated room they said they would give me a free room upgrade- what a joke!

BEWARE! They are super tricky and the rooms and this hotel should be rerated!!

Very nice

I booked directly through the hotel Web site. My room was on the sixth floor, and the windows overlooked the hotel's chic, dim (dim in a good way) lobby. The room was very modern, comfortable and well-appointed. The king size bed and linens were very comfy. Everything was clean and very new-looking. I ordered room service four times -- breakfast twice and dinner twice -- and everything was fabulous each time. When I was checking out, I asked the clerk why the breakfasts weren't on my bill, and she said they were included in the room price. Nice! I don't know if they always have this deal, but it's worth it so keep your eye out for it -- you know how expensive room service can be.

One caveat -- there's nothing around this hotel, really. It's definitely a business destination, not a tourist destination (although the Mall of America is about 10 minutes away, if you're interested). When I say nothing, I mean nothing but chain restaurants, gas station, and a freeway. I wanted the freeway access, since I was there on business but didn't need to go to the downtown area. Overall, I'd recommend this to business travelers, but not recreational travelers.

Misleading pictures

I recently booked a reservation at the Sofitel through hotels.com. The pictures on the website were beautiful. The information stated that there were 2 double beds and a pull out couch. There were two double beds, but only a small wooden couch. The room was very run down and dated. We were put in the basement of the hotel and did not see any other guests down there. The ice machine was through a closed door in a hallway that was obviously in the process of being remodeled.

Remodeled and Quite Nice

by TripAdvisor Member KathleenWhite

The previous reviews were quite surprising, but obviously written before this hotel's remodeling. Spent three nights here on business travel and found the environ to be upscale, the staff superb and the room extremely comfortable, albeit sans microwave or an ensuite coffee maker (a major drawback, but room service was great). The beds were the most comfortable found since my last stay at a Four Seasons and while the furnishings are European (more simple in design, but offers all required), the room's spaciousness was appreciated.

I most highly recommend this Sofitel, but must advise one without a car to plan on scheduling a limo or taxi as it is not within walkiing distance of anything.

For a business traveler, this Sofitel offers all one needs for wireless access, good restaurants, etc.

Highly recommended.

Fabulous Rooms!

by TripAdvisor Member SBCDSM

My 8-year old daughter summed it up as we entered the room - "What a fancy room!" We had a recently refurbished double on the main floor. Double doors lead into a gorgeous beige tiled bathroom with granite countertops and chocolate wood accents, along with bamboo in the requisite clear glass vase with stones. A cherry, oak and dark wood headboard sprawls across the wall behind both beds, which feature comfy featherbeds and down comforters (very plush - we both overslept). There was a huge flat screen TV and a curved-back chaise in addition to a desk and chair. The overall feel of the room was art deco with a zen twist. The view was of the parking lot, but I asked for and received a quiet room. The entire room was spotless.

I used to stay at the Sofitel frequently for business almost 10 years ago and wasn't sure what to expect, but the room was amazing and the staff was as gracious and polite as I remembered. There isn't much to do in the immediate hotel area, but I don't mind going a bit out of my way for a great hotel. It still has easy access to the Interstate and you're just 15 minutes away from most things if you don't get caught up in rush hour.

Over 12 & Can't Stay in Same Room as Parent

I tried to make reservations for myself and twin daughters who are 13 years old at the Sofitel. I was told it was their policy that if your children are over 12 years old only one of them can stay in a double room with a parent!! They said I would have to book a second room for my two 13 year old CHILDREN to stay in by themselves. Is it me or would you let your 13 year old stay in a room by themselves & you in a different room by yourself? There are two beds in a double room!! Is this policy even legal? I then called the Country Inn Suites Mall of America and reserved one double room with two queen beds for my two daughters and myself with no problem. Forget the Sofitel, they are not a child friendly hotel.

Outraged Mother

Anticipating this July visit

by TripAdvisor Member notopsebring

We stayed at the Sofitel for our anniversary last July, and we have had reservations for a repeat weekend getaway this year.

Yes, this is a business traveler's dream during the week, right off of I-494; the only places within walking distance are the Sheraton and TGI Friday's....there are many newer hotels in the area, and various other chain restaurants....and I almost hate giving this review as most of us locals know what a wonderful weekend the Sofitel can provide!

Beautiful,refurbished rooms.....attentive service.....French cuisine.....away from the hustle and bustle of downtown and the Mall of America, yet so close if you wish to be there.....

In other words, a treat of a retreat from the usual in the Midwest without airfare and currency exchange!

Listen to the negative reviews if you wish, or make your weekend what you want it to be at the Sofitel. My husband and I love the rooms (comfy beds and pillows, spacious bathrooms in deluxe king rooms), the service, the Friday and Saturday night dinners at La Fougasse, the Saturday morning breakfast at Chez Collette, the live jazz on Friday and Saturday nights, and most of all, the wonderful Sunday morning brunch at La Fougasse featuring homemade Sangria, a bounty of food, and flamenco dancing.

I am counting the days until we are there again!

Very classy and accomodating

Stayed late June to early July.

Good food. Hamburger and pizza were quite wonderful. Clean rooms (though they gave me a room that wasn't made up and promptly changed me to another room within minutes with no hassle). Most people like the beds though I didn't. I rarely like hotel beds as I have a select comfort and find hotel beds too hard. Nice touch of offering a ton of pillows. One odd european thing is that they offer a small silver metal bucket for a bathroom waste paper basket. I didn't know if it was to [------] in at first but then realized it was a waste basket. Very odd, but i did like the Roger Gallet soap, shampoo and conditioner. You can even bring dogs if you like as some had their dogs with them. the gym was also well appointed for a hotel. They had weight machines and dumb bells.

Overall, the staff was very nice and courteous. I even got a free hamburger when they forgot that I ordered it (i don't think it takes the french 30 mins to make a hamburger). I recommend staying in one if you have the opportunity.

Very Nice Hotel

The remodeled rooms are very nice. Sylish and elegant. I was told that all rooms are remodeled now, and all rooms are non-smoking. Very nice LG flat screen television. The feather topped beds are the best. Very nice bathroom and shower. Staff is courteous. We stayed in a 3rd floor room with 2 double beds. Plenty of parking. Would stay there again.

Comments