SpringHill Suites St. Louis Park Minneapolis

More about Minneapolis

Lake Calhoun, Minneapolis, MN, US 1978Lake Calhoun, Minneapolis, MN, US 1978

© Wade DeNero© Wade DeNero

Crystal Court, ChristmastimeCrystal Court, Christmastime

Section of park along the waySection of park along the way

Do i need to claim my baggage and recheck in with my through ticket

by drivefun

I bought a through ticket from Appleton WI to Shanghai mainland China by way of Minneapolis and Tokyo. I want to made sure that do i need to claim my baggage and recheck in at Minneapolis airport when i proceed to get my connecting flight there? Thank you?

by DSwede

on international departures, you do not need to re-claim luggage on connections if the airlines have a joint baggage agreement (99% of all airlines will check bags through to other carriers provided you have a verifiable ticket). Your bags should be checked all the way through to Shanghai.

by drivefun

Thank you! DSwede, the carriers of these flights are the same personal NWA. Does that mean that my baggage would have cleared customs at Appleton airport since no baggage recollection is required in flight connection at Minneapolis?

by OiKnow

If all of the flights are on the same airline, you should not need to claim and recheck bags going out. When you check in for the first flight, make sure that they check your bags through to Shanghai.

On outgoing international flights from the USA, the bags are cleared by TSA (security) at the airport you check in at, and may be rescanned before loading on the international flight, but that is all done behind the sceenes and there is nothing that you have to do with that unless they find something in the bags that is illegal to take out of the country (such as illegal drugs, undeclared weapons.) There is no need to present bags leaving the USA to customs for inspection.

David

by ellielou

Just so you know, it's a different ballgame returning to the US. You will have to get your bags and go through customs and immigration at your first point of entry back into the USA. So, if you fly from Shanghai to Appleton, but transit back through Mnpls, you'll have to collect your baggage, go through all the formalities, and then recheck it, even if traveling on the same airline.

by DSwede

I'd reply back to your follow up, but looks like others beat me to it. Have fun in China! Wave when you fly over me here...

by Jamesr3939

Returning depends on the airport and airlines as to exactly what you will have to do. You will have to claim your bags at your first US airport upon returning and then take them and you through Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) inspection.

However, on our recent return from Sweden via Seattle connecting to Sacramento, we just carried our bags over to a cart just outside ICE and dropped them. They had already been checked all the way through to Sacramento when we left Sweden, so we did not have to get them tagged or even leave the security area.

It was really very painless.

by drivefun

Thank you, all the above nice and warm-hearted guys. Your replies are very helpful. I have arrived in Shanghai without a hitch.

Travel Tips for Minneapolis

Avoid Rush Hour Downtown

by BLSM

If you can avoid driving downtown in the early morning and late afternoon. It is also a good idea to plot your way on a map before you get there. There are many one way streets and with the constant consturction there can be traffic jams.

Fun Facts:The New York Times...

by ladyfisher

Fun Facts:The New York Times reported that Mall of America attracts more visitors annually than Disney World, Graceland and the Grand Canyon combined.

Wondering how long it would take to shop at every store at Mall of America? Thinking about relocating Mount Rushmore, the Washington Monument and the Eiffel Tower? Or just curious about the number of couples who have tied the knot at the nation's largest retail and entertainment center? Listed below are answers to some of the world's most sought after questions. Read on - it's sure to amaze you. Did you know?

If a shopper spent 10 minutes browsing at every store it would take them more than 86 hours to complete their visit to Mall of America.

258 Statue of Libertys could lay inside the Mall.

67 Washington Monuments could lay inside the Mall.

If Mall of America had a retractable roof (and it is where an old baseball stadium used to stand), nine Eiffel Towers could stand inside.

If Mount Rushmore was divided into individual monuments, a president could reside in each of the Mall's four courts.

If the Mall had a retractable roof, two King Khufu Pyramids, the world's largest pyramid, would fit inside.

Mall of America's 4.2 million square feet would hold 24,336 school buses.

More than 45 miles of US West phone lines are strung throughout Mall of America.

Mall of America is big enough to hold 32 Boeing 747s.

More than 56 million rides have been given at Camp Snoopy since opening.

More than 2,500 couples have been married at Mall of America since opening in August, 1992.

No need for heat - Mall of America's guests, along with miles of lights, provide enough warmth to keep the entire complex toasty warm even during the cool winter season (only the entrances from parking ramps are heated).

More than 3,000 individuals are registered in the 'Mall Walker' program. The 1996 Mall Walker of the Year walked off 140 pounds.

In its first five years, the Mall generated 34,700 tons of waste. Through innovative programs the Mall now successfully recycles more than 50 percent of its annual waste.

The LEGO® Imagination Center blimp is constructed from 138,240 LEGO bricks. Did you know a set of six lego bricks can be put together in 103 million different combinations?

Must Learn To Speak Minnesotan!!

by ForestWolf

If you are going to spend ANY time in Minnesota, you must learn how to speak Minnesotan or you run the risk of really upsetting the locals. I must say that I have never personally seen an angry Minnesotan, as they are very slow to anger and wouldn't show you anyways, but I can say I do not want to see one - EVER! Pick up the handy, dandy "How To Talk Minnesotan" Simple Audio Guide put out by the Prairie Home Companion!!!

Take a Hike in Minnehaha Park

by Stephen-KarenConn

On a beautiful Sunday morning in late April Karen and I discovered the 193 acre Minnehaha Park and found it to be a great place to take a hike. The trees were just beginning to leaf out and the forest floor was covered with early spring wildflowers. I took pictures of my favorites: bluebells and wood anemones (see photos).

Wide graded trails wind along Minnehaha Creek and a paved pathway suitable for both hiking and biking also leads several miles along the Mississippi River to Fort Snelling Historic Site. We did not have the time to hike all the way Fort Snelling, but we did drive there for a visit and found it very rewarding. Since Fort Snelling is actually in St. Paul and not Minneapolis I will post my tips for the fort on my St. Paul page. A comfortable pair of walking shoes and a sense of adventure - with appropriate dress for the weather.

A Waterfall in the Heart of the City

by etfromnc

Minnehaha Creek flows through Minneapolis and into the Mississippi River. You have probably heard of Minnehaha Falls even if you have never been to Minnesota because they were immortalized in a Longfellow poem in 1853. Interestingly, he had never been there either.

Minnehaha Regional Park in south Minneapolis is part of the Mississippi National River and Recreation Area and houses the highest waterfall in Minnesota outside of the Northshore Area of Lake Superior. (See my Duluth and Grand Portage pages for more info on some of those waterfalls.) Minnehaha Creek drops 53 feet at Minnehaha Falls and shortly afterward joins the Mississippi River still within the Park. In addition to this very unusual site for a large city, the park also houses the Longfellow House Hospitality Center, picnic areas, and a major section of the Grand Rounds, the first National Scenic Byway located completely within one urban area.

Comments