88 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55402-1114, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• grayfo's Profile Photo

Resting at the Westin

Originally built in 1941 as Minneapolis’s historic Farmers & Mechanics Bank building, this hotel has an amazing 34 foot high vaulted lobby, restaurant and bar area. The rooms are large and clean, and the beds extremely comfortable.

May 2010

Unique Quality: Wireless High Speed Internet Access (USD 16.96 per day)
    42" HD Plasma Television

Directions: Downtown

More about The Westin Minneapolis

Very Unpleasant Experience at Westin Minneapolis

by TripAdvisor Member wrtoyworks

We thought this would be a fun hotel to try in downtown Minneapolis--we were wrong. We typically reserve "standard" rooms wherever we stay. But this hotel's definition of standard is different from others. We received what the check-in person called a "limited view" room, which he said was their standard room. We assumed limited view meant maybe a lower floor, or maybe a bad view or a building right next to and close to your window, so what the heck, we gave it a try. Nothing that good! Limited view meant NO window to anything on the outside of the building! Actually a small glass pane that looked at a hole with a plastic plant. Very disappointing--have never been given a room before with no view of at least the building next door. Also, the pool they brag about as "stainless steel" truly was stainless steel, but also probably the tiniest and shallowest pool you'll ever encounter in a 4-star hotel (like this supposedly is rated). No redeeming qualties I can think of about this hotel. Stay at the nearby Marquette, Hyatt, Marriott, or one of many others. At least you won't get claustrophobic. Very bad experience overall.

Great Time at the Westin MN!

by TripAdvisor Member ChrissyRDH

My husband and I flew to Minneapolis to see a concert. We arrived on Friday the 2nd of May and came home on the 4th of May. We've had positive visits to the Westin, St. Louis and chose the Westin, MN because of our past experiences. We took the train from the airport and only had to walk about a block and a half or so from the stop to the hotel. The hotel was only blocks from the concert venue and, although we took a cab to the concert on Saturday night, we chose to walk back to the hotel afterwards. I felt perfectly safe. There were a lot of folks out on that Saturday night and it was quite lively.

This hotel was unique in that it used to be a bank. They kept a lot of the original decor inside where the lobby and hotel bar/restaurant are. It was very cool and a creative use of an older building!

Our room was at one of the corners of the building so we had two walls of windows! Loved that! As we've experienced before, the bathroom was spacious and included such perks and multiple shower heads!! (5, to be exact!) There was an HDTV hanging on the wall and it was on a bracket that swivled, allowing you to view it from anywhere in the room. The king sized bed was comfortable and inviting with lots of pillows and cozy covers! I never once heard noise from other rooms or the hallway. It was a quiet hotel.

Our experience at the bar was really great. We arrived early on Friday, and the concert wasn't until Saturday night, so we asked our bartender, Tom where we should eat. He reffered us to a lovely restaurant called the 112 Eatery. It was a fabulous recommendation and if we're back in MN again, we will have another meal there!

Tom was our bartender both Friday and Saturday at the hotel and he also helped us with our walking directions and suggestions about where to spend the time we had before the concert. We also ate at the restaurant that surrounds the bar in the lobby area of the hotel for breakfast on both Saturday and Sunday morning. They have a wonderful buffet for breakfast that is pretty reasonably priced.

Our room was cleaned while we were away each day and always re-stocked with fresh towels. I would definitely stay here again. The city of Minneapolis is absolutely lovely! The people are nice and we are going to plan another stay there soon! We went for the concert and got the added bonus of finding ourselves another lovely place to visit!

Very impressed with the Westin!

by TripAdvisor Member Iowa02

I have never written a review following a hotel stay but after my 2 day visit to the Westin Minneapolis I felt the need to share my enjoyable and memorable stay. This hotel was converted from a bank building so there are very unique and historical touches throughout the hotel which sets it apart from a typical "cookie cutter" hotel. The unique hotel decor combines with the Westin focus on "reviving the senses" to create an overall balance of luxury with a warm and comfortable atmosphere. From the moment I entered the hotel I was impressed with the professionalism and friendliness of the staff. The front desk staff, the restaurant and lounge staff and the housekeepers I met in the hallways were attentive and greeted me with a smile. During our awesome dinner in the BANK Restaurant the Chef stopped by our table and other tables in the restaurant to make sure everyone was enjoying their meals (and we certainly were!). It was evident that he took great pride in what he was serving.
I definately recommend giving this hotel a try if you are in Minneapolis - you won't be sorry!

Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MARYSCHOEPP

The Westin Minneapolis is a beautful hotel. From the moment you pull up you are greeted by very friendly attendants. When you walk in the front door you enter The Bank which is a bar/lounge and resturaunt. The property was an actual Bank that was transformed- It is visually amazing! The old bank vault is now a wine vault! After we checked in we went right back down to the bar to enjoy a glass of wine- We had appetizers- Just so you know like any trendy city place it was expensive- $80.00 for 2 glasses of wine 2 beers and 2 soups. But you pay for the atmosphere and the great service.
The room was beautiful. We chose the King bed room. The room was very modern. Flat screen TV double head shower- Lounge chair- Very clean and white- Our friends had the double bed room, I did not like that room as much, but it was still very pretty. The entire hotel was very clean, fun and beautiful!
The service was great! There is even ann excellent pizza / Italian food resturaunt that delivers until 330am!
The only bad thing is that the rate that they offer was toooo good to be true for the hotel- It was very low compared to other hotels in the area-- HOWEVER once you get your bill they "add on" things that come with the price of other city hotels- Internet, parking etc.
My opinion is they should have a higher rate and have all the extras included. That way no one is surprised. It did not bother me but I am sure some people may not expect that when they get their bill, only because most hotels do include those things in their base rate.
Worth every dime!

Dreamy!

by TripAdvisor Member kluttel71

My husband and I had a babysitting offer from grandparents, and we wanted a quick escape from daily routine, so we packed overnight bags and drove six miles to the downtown Minneapolis Westin. A true escape! The reception desk gave us an upgrade (just to be nice) so we ended up on the Starwood members' floor in a really great room. Very modern: clean lines, pale grays, glass, metal, natural fabrics, high ceilings. Fluffy down comforter, wonderfully comfortable bed, large bathroom with all the amenities and a really cool large glass-enclosed shower with two shower heads. The TV was a large flat panel and the windows were huge (looking onto downtown). If I could only stay at Westins for the rest of my life, I'd probably be very happy. The one fault I could find was that the knob on the ice bucket was broken. All the staff from the concierge, maid and doormen to reception clerk were very gracious and friendly but also politely reserved. The lobby is in the cool restaurant/bar B.A.N.K. Super-chic with very good food and drinks. The building is the former grain exchange and they have done a good job incorporating old details into the new building.

TERRIBLE for a Westin, Business Travelers AVOID this Place

by TripAdvisor Member TravelerA2

The Westin brand hotels is used quite extensively by my company for business travel. A co-worker that flies in weekly to Minneapolis for work decided to stay at this hotel (due to great experiences at other Westins).

She had used valet parking the night before, but when she went to pick-up her car in the morning with her valet ticket.....the valet people could not find her car or keys. BASICALLY, THE VALETS LOST HER CAR! (Her rental was an orange colored car - not a common color and not easily overlooked).

The CONCIERGE proceeded to tell her that they couldn't find her car or her keys, did not know where it was, and that SHE would have to PAY OUT OF HER OWN POCKET to take a car service to work! (30 minutes away in a suburb).

When she returned later that evening, the HOTEL MANAGER said that her car had been found - but did not provide any recompense for having inconveinanced her AND GRUDINGLY repaid her for the car service they had FORCED her to take because THE WESTIN LOST HER CAR!!

In addition, she said the room service provided by the in-house restaurant is terrible food. Citypages (the local food and activities weekly) gives the restaurant a very low review.

BUSINESS TRAVELERS BEWARE! Downtown Minneapolis offers other better hotels for your stay...and they are most likely NOT going to lose your car.

No redeeming qualities

by TripAdvisor Member HikerGirl101

As a former Minnesotan, I thought it would be fun to stay four nights in a hotel that was the former bank where most school kids like me had accounts in the 1970s. That the hotel was a Westin was a huge bonus. I was wrong on both accounts. This hotel will not give you the typical Westin feeling and they should sell this place before it ruins their good name.

It is a historical building so they could not make many changes to the exterior. That means the windows are very high in the rooms. If you want to look out, you have to climb up on a chair and on onto a ledge. There are no openings on the windows so no fresh air. In a room with two doubles, one bed is next to the window and the head of the other bed is right at the large air vent. So much morning sun streamed in through the tops of the curtains that it woke me up. The vent was so loud at the other bed that I ended up getting ear plugs.

Housekeeping is abysmal. Part of the bathroom floor that does not get any traffic was dirty upon arrival and never cleaned throughout my stay. Due to the light/vent problems, I slept part of each night in both beds. The blankets were too warm so I'd pile them on one bed then then next. The maid got tired of this and stuffed them into the corner of the room. It was shocking to see when brought up friends before dinner. I called the supervisor who refused to believe I did not put the blankets there. On a morning I left late, housekeeping left a note under the door. I called, said I would be leaving within the hour, and would remove the do not disturb sign when I left. A supervisor came up within a few minutes and knocked on the door. He was very upset that I had not removed the sign yet.

The safe in the room would not lock. They tried to fix it and for some reason asked me to wait. After an hour, they decided to replace it so I left.

The valet area can get congested and confused with Morton's.

Nice stay at the Westin

by TripAdvisor Member TysonsTraveler8

I stayed at this hotel with my husband who was there on business. I had the opportunity to explore the hotel and the surroundings. The hotel was once a bank and it shows--the lobby is very impressive looking and the "vault" is now holding wine. The hotel is connected to the "skyway" in downton Minneapolis. Pretty convenient to the downtown attractions.
On the business end, the hotel was less than satisfactory. While I am not able to comment on that point, I was the happy beneficiary of the hotel's efforts to make amends because the Westin upgraded my husband and I to a suite on the top floor with a patio, which was fabulous in every respect.
The regular hotel room that we stayed in before the upgrade for the first night was fine, albeit a bit on the small side.
All in all, I think I would hesitate booking this hotel for larger business meetings, but I would stay there again for vacation purposes.

Nice & modern. Excellent restaurant.

by TripAdvisor Member njgalinwt

Have stayed here 3 times for work over the past year. Location is excellent and close to everything. Can walk on the skyways to get where you need to go.

The lobby is an old bank and the design is cool to observe, but the lobby is loud and quite a social scene. The check-in was in a wierd location right next to that social scene. I recommend they move to a quieter location. Check in can be slow if you have too many arrivals at once. Once we waited 30 minutes to check in with a line down the hall and only 2 workers for 4 spots.

The rooms are small, but everything is brand new. Bed is "heavenly" and bathoom is modern, but tight. Perfect for business travel in my opinion, but wouldn't bring family as the rooms are just too small.

The clocks need to be removed in room. They require a PhD to figure out. Called the hotel who had to have somone come to my room to change the time (it was wrong) and set it for me. They admitted no one can figure them out and were considering replacing.

The restaurant was perfect and food excellent for breakfast and dinner. Expensive for dinner but worth every penny and has a nice scene while you are eating.

Comments