900 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55415, United States

Orbitz.com Aloft.com Booking.com

• Disappointing

The first thing I look for in a hotel is whether or not it's clean and Aloft definitely was- other than that though, I did not have a great experience here. There is a night club in the lobby of the building- I was on the second floor and was awoken at 11:30 pm to LOUD, THROBBING BASS, dance music coming into my room. I called the front desk to inquire and they said they would "see about turning it down". I knew that was never going to happen so I tried to go back to sleep. Impossible. I called again to ask what time the music was going to end, the phone rang about 15 times until someone finally answered, the person I spoke to said it ended at 1 am and then promptly hung up on me. At 1:15 the music was still going strong so I called again- this time I was told it ended at 1:30 am. I asked the person if perhaps they thought it was worth mentioning to customers when they check in that their room will be directly over a night club- his response "well we've only gotten complaints tonight from 2 rooms". Hmmm.... don't you think that's two rooms too many? I was finally able to go to sleep around 2am- great way to start my trip.

Some other things that weren't a huge deal but I think are worth mentioning: The lights in the rooms were just crazy. Sometimes certain lights- the ones in the bathroom for example- just didn't turn on after a certain time. If you had to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom you were going to have to do it in the dark. Maybe there was a trick to turning them on, but I never found it. Also- the parking spot they assigned me was a handicapped spot. I mentioned it to them and they said it was fine for me to park there, but I just felt like a jerk everytime I did.

I suppose if you're someone who enjoys having a night club in your hotel, goes to bed super late and doesn't have children traveling with you, this would be a great hotel for you.

Directions: Close to downtown.

• Cool, trendy, on-budget

Trendy & cool design, but not pricey! Friendly staff, well-designed rooms, funky atmosphere and just round the corner from the absolutely fabulous Guthrie Theater (worth a visit whether or not you "do" theater and the Seachange restaurant is also great). The hotel is a welcome change from over-priced uber-trendy and corporate suit-styel hotels. I'd go back.

Unique Quality: Good use of design. Pleasant environment to be in.

Directions: By Guthrie Theater and Metrodome. Close walking distance from Light Rail station, then 1 or 2 stop on Minneapolis's excellent transit system to downtown.

Comments