300 South Highway 3

Christian pours me a Bass AleChristian pours me a Bass Ale

Travel Tips for Northfield

Senator Wellstone's Green Bus

by zrim

The late Senator Paul Wellstone (or Paul as he preferred) lived in Northfield for much of his adult life. He came to Carleton College as a political science professor in the late 1960s. A position he kept until winning a dramatic upset victory to claim a United States Senate seat in 1990.

Paul ran a low budget grass roots campaign and shocked not only the Minnesota GOP but also the nation. This green bus was used by Paul to crisscross our large state. He would hold political rallies from the back of the bus and stump through the state much as candidates stumped their way across the nation by train in the 1800s through the early 1950s.

The town of Northfield, the state of Minnesota and indeed the nation suffered a tragic blow when Paul, his wife Sheila, his daughter Marcia, and five others lost their lives when their chartered aircraft went down in the woods near Eveleth, Minnesota.

Paul was a champion of the underdog and the common man. He was honest and decent. The testimonials that came from Capitol Hill were truly touching as great Congressmen and common security guards, cooks and doormen recalled stories of a man they called friend. The great thing about Paul was that he was truly interested in every single person he met. He was never too busy to visit with a constituent and made a person proud to have spent time with him.

We miss our friend Paul and hope to honor his legacy by treating all people with dignity and respect.

My favorite tree

by zrim

This tree anchors the quaint bucolic setting of Central Park on the east side of town. Some years ago the city fathers wanted to bulldoze Central Park and add unsightly construction and pavement. The citizens from the neighborhood rose together to fight against the idea and Northfield is left with a pretty green spot which is lovingly tended to by the local garden club.

My Town

by zrim

Northfield is a pleasant little city located 40 miles south of Minneapolis/St. Paul. It is the home to two very fine liberal arts colleges, a company that makes wet and dry cereal (Malt-O-Meal) and several high tech industries. More importantly, this is the spot that the infamous Jessie James Gang was routed by townsfolk upset that these guys would attempt to rob their bank.

The town's trademark is "Cows, Colleges and Contentment." Usually the pace of life here is a bit slower than urban areas and generally people are very friendly.

I love to travel and see the world. Any place that I go is an adventure. But the best part of any trip is walking through the front door when I get back home. Northfield is my home--I am most content when I wake up here.

Comments