Steele County Courthouse
from the historical marker in front:
"Steele County was officially established in February of 1855 and was named in honor of Franklin Steele, a government contractor and a man of prominence in the territory. Owatonna was then platted out as the county seat. In 1860, the population of the county was 2,863. At the centennial celebration of the Steele County Courthouse in 1991, the population was 30,729.
This is the site of the second County Courthouse which was built in 1891 at an approximate cost of $50,000. The general style of the structure is Romanesque, with the three figures representing Mercy, Justice and Law gracing the niche over the main entrance."