20 South-West Second Ave., Rochester, Minnesota, 55902-3013, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com KahlerGrandHotel

Satisfaction Average

• OnTheSiouxFallsSub's Profile Photo

Enjoy the pool, But bring your own sheets!

The Kahler isn't the worst place i've stayed, but it's close. The Kahler may have been cool at one time, but it looks like it's really gone downhill. The rooms aren't great, but they work.(it's great if you like hair on your sheets!) The lobby and outside of the place make you think your room is going to be just as spectacular, thats not the case with most of the rooms.

Unique Quality: The place has a pool on it's roof, but the evevator doesn't go up there and you have to walk up 3 flights of stairs in a really spooky stairwell. Once your up there though, the pool is nice and warm, there is a good view of the surronding area, and a dome that chances colors at night. Overall thats about it though.

Directions: It's the old building with the big dome and giant neon sign on the roof, it's hard to miss.

• Jehcekah's Profile Photo

Kahler Grand Hotel-Rochester Most Overrated Hotel

The Kahler is a old hotel. Its beginnings date back to 1896, but the hotel that stands today is from approximately 1921. When the idea of a major hotel near Mayo Clinic was conceived, it actually involved hospital rooms existing above the hotel rooms. Because of Mayo's growth, the hotel was expanded into 730 rooms and suites, as it is today.

The reason why I name it as "Rochester's most overrated hotel," is because it does have some allure as it is so historic, but updates on redecoration did not continue through the 20th and 21st centuries. The carpeting is very old and stained in many places, the wallpaper in some of the rooms is very faded and sometimes peeling off of the walls.

Unique Quality: Prices for a room at the Kahler are between $89 and $150, depending on specials and what night the stay is for.

The Kahler is Rochester's only domed, sky-lit recreation area. It includes a pool, whirlpool, sauna, exercise and game area.

The Kahler is often the venue for conventions and classes that local and visiting businesses hold. There are two ballrooms in the subway level of the hotel that are very average in hotel-ballroom design. However, on the lobby level is a ballroom, which is very classy, but small. Its centerpiece is a marble fireplace.

More about Kahler Grand Hotel

The BEST in Rochester

by TripAdvisor Member yellowroses8122

I just returned from another wonderful stay at the Kahler Grand.
The reservation agent upgraded me to a larger deluxe room, what a PERFECT choice, the room was very bright, a lot of extra space. The beds were super soft and brand new curtains and bed spreads.The room had a WONDERFUL view of a little park across the street at the Methodist Hospital. That was a nice place to sit, relax and meet new people.
The Lord Essex at the Kahler has the BEST PRIME RIB in town, it was nice a juicy, tender and it was served with a loaded Baked Potato. If you are in town, you have to stop in and try it.

Thank you to the Kahler Grand Hotel, for another WONDERFUL stay and making me feel welcome as always.

Pleasantly Surprised

by TripAdvisor Member lovingsummers

We almost cancelled our visit because of the negative reviews, but decided to give it a chance. We had a great time. The room was nice and large, the staff was friendly, and the room service was great. We spent our anniversary weekend there and enjoyed the "great escape" weekend package. The only negative experience was the dining at the Lord Essex in the hotel. We will not eat there again, but there are plenty of other restaurants to choose from. Overall a great experience and we will definately return.:)

Very overrated place----

by TripAdvisor Member Impala guy

We were there for a big car show. Since this was the host hotel we were fooled into thinking it would be special--wrong. Old, weird parking ramp was often full did not help. Then, the gate did not work properly to let you out of the ramp.
Our room had small beds, kinda like bunk beds---whats up with that? No luxury for us. Where I come from they would have knocked down this place long ago.

Dirty & desperately needs remodeling

by TripAdvisor Member redcabrunner

I booked a room at the Kahler for the proximity to the Mayo clinic (which was good), but the hotel itself was a huge disappointment. My room was tiny, dimly lit and smelled vaguely of mold. It apprears that the interiors have not been updated since the 1940s and the ceilings and windows were covered with grime. Also, there was no bathtub and the shower (with it's tacky old tile) was dark and claustrophobic. If I had been paying $40 in a developing country, this would have been okay, but for $90 in Rochester it is definately not worth it.

Bottom line - spend an extra $30/night and stay at the Marriot. It's far nicer and also has a great location.

Poor service at check-in/out

by TripAdvisor Member MKBFT

Older/dated hotel. Terrible customer service at check-in. Very rude and unhelpful staff. Then, even after carefully confirming my credit card was charged correctly - I came home to find I had been charged twice. Won't stay there again. Pay the extra to stay at Radisson or Marriott downtown. Trust me.

Dissapointing

by TripAdvisor Member ls742

Stayed for a conference at the Mayo Clinic while my collegue stayed at the Marriott. The Marriott was infinately better. My room was croweded, dated, and loud (could hear tv/shower next door). Bathroom was tiny, no room to put any tolietries in the shower or sink. Upon leaving, I had asked the front desk staff to arrange for a taxi. I was told to wait outside the door and the taxi driver would call out my room #. After waiting 30 minutes for my taxi, I went in to talk to the front desk to see what was going on and was told that they couldn't help. Ended up walking down to a neighboring hotel and getting a taxi there. Much better hotels in the area and all are within a short walk of the Mayo Clinic.

I thought it was okay.

by TripAdvisor Member PJB2

I stayed for one night, to attend a trade show at the Mayo Civic Center. My room was on the tenth floor, on the older (1922) side of the hotel. The room overlooked the inner courtyard of the hotel. The room was pretty small by current standards (think "European size"), but adequate for a single person. I found it to be acceptably clean and quiet. The room was a non-smoking room and did not have any noticeable cigarette smoke smell.

When I first got upstairs to the room, it was very warm so I turned down the thermostat and opened the windows. Since it was very cold outside, I managed to get the room temperature down to a comfortable level. The bathroom was very small, with a tiny shower stall, but was clean.

They have managed to cram a lot of amenities into a pretty small hotel room: mini-fridge, color TV on wall bracket, ironing board, writing desk, wing-back chair, etc.

If I had been paying for my own lodging that night, I probably would've booked a room at one of the newer, more modern hotels. But overall, I had a positive experience staying at the Kahler Grand: clean sheets, clean room, good night's sleep.

Comments