Shack Up Inn

Tags

Road Trip Family Travel Historical Travel
See Amenities
ocicat's Profile Photo

The Best Place EVER to Stay!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 27, 2011

Our drive ended in Clarksdale, MS. Our lodgings for the next two nights was at “The Shack Up Inn”. To say it is an unique accommodation is an understatement!

The lodgings are either remodeled sharecropper shacks or rooms in the converted cotton gin on the property.

As we pulled in on the rutted gravel road, Himself said “This doesn’t look like a good neighborhood… are you sure you have the right directions?”

I assured him I did and said to keep driving. We came around the other side of the horseshoe shaped road/driveway to the large cotton bin building and we could see the “lobby” sign.

“We’re staying in a junk yard???!!!”

To keep from laughing, I quickly pointed to a cat in front of us and became totally concerned that he did not run over it as we pulled in. When he parked I told him I had to run in and I would be right back.

Zipping in the doorway, I burst out laughing. Shack Up manager Marc looked up with a smile waiting for me to share the joke with her. Soon she was laughing too!

When I came back out with the key and directed Himself to go back the way we came, he was quite relieved. But it was a very short lived relief as I instructed him to pull in behind one of the middle shacks and said…

“Hi Honey, we’re home!”

Once inside, he saw the coolness of our lodging.

Our shack was the Robert Clay shack. Part of its description is “he had a tractor and seven sons”. We also found out he had a little something else… a moonshine still up in the attic!

Unique Quality: Outstanding characteristics? You've got to see it to believe it!! But for all the "junk" used in decorating, the shacks are very clean and the beds are wonderful.

Everyone working here was a delight.

Check out my blog to see more photos than I could put up here.

BuickMackane's Profile Photo

A fascinating lodging experience!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 19, 2005

Please visit my two travelogues for this page and also the inn's own picture-packed Web site at shackupinn.com. I took so many pictures that I ran out of film!

Whether or not the adventurous lodging at the Shack Up Inn and its latest addition the Cotton Gin Inn are to your personal taste, a visit to the Hopson Plantation is nevertheless a MANDATORY stop during your visit to Clarksdale!

Unique Quality: There are two types of lodging at Hopson Plantation.

Your first choice is one of the authentic sharecroppers' shacks with only closed-circuit blues broadcast via your TV, and a musical instrument in your room. The shacks are warm in the winter, and do feature indoor plumbing (don't let that antique outhouse fool you!). It's an exciting way to get the feel of the Delta, especially if the urge comes upon you to write a song at midnight!

If you crave slightly more conventional amenities, try the rooms in a converted cotton gin building that feature Direct TV and bathrooms with murals painted on them by renowned local artists (yet another Clarksdale curiosity -- we found painted bathrooms nearly everywhere we went). I think Nathalie and I would be more inclined to stay in the Cotton Gin Inn, because she would be very unhappy indeed if she couldn't watch Cartoon Network on vacation!

We got a grand tour of the property by the head housekeeper, and therefore can assure you that these rooms are neat and clean and not so primitive as to be uncomfortable. The staff is friendly and approachable, so don't hesitate to contact them directly with any questions you might have. They're readily accessible online!

Directions: About 2 miles south of the Crossroads marker in Hopson off US Highway 49 South

Nearby Shack Up Inn

Shack Up Inn

• Shack Up Hotel Clarksdale

Address: 001 Commissary Circle, Clarksdale, Mississippi, 38614, United States

6 Photos of Shack Up Inn

Amenities at Shack Up Inn

• Free Parking

Clarksdale Travel Forum

Need advice about Clarksdale, Mississippi? Visit the Travel Forum for Clarksdale and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Clarksdale