Gulfport is located in Harrison County on the Gulf of Mexico. It lies near Biloxi along Highway 90. William H. Hardy and Joseph T. Jones were Gulfport's founders. Between them they wanted to create a port town and a railroad to draw on all the acres of pine in southern Mississippi. Jones invested several million dollars in the project and Gulfport was incorporated in 1898. The harbour became a working seaport in 1902. Financial problems prevented the railroad being completed though.
Today Gulfport is a residential community with a diversified economy and the fast growing in the State. It is the 2nd largest city in Mississippi and has nearly 7 miles of man-made beach along the Gulf of Mexico. Gulfport is home of the annual “Worlds Largest Fishing Rodeo”.
Photos which are taken by myself and all headings are copyright and digitally marked. Please do not use them without permission. Thanks.© keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)