Dunleith Plantation Hotel

84 Homochitto Street, Natchez, Mississippi, 39204, United States

More about Dunleith Plantation Hotel

Historic Plantation Inn

by counsel14 about Dunleith

I did not stay here. I took a guided tour of the Home and inn. Frankly, I couldn't afford to stay here. I did have lunch at the Castle restaurant. extremely good food, if totally too expensive!

The grounds were magnificent in the early spring. Flowers were in bloom everywhere the eye wandered. This is an historic Plantation of the Old South. Beautifully appointed with vintage furniture and pictures.

Dunleith does not accept children under the age of 14. No Pets. All rooms are non-smoking.

Dunleith is set upon forty acres, which also includes a carriage house, dairy barn, poultry house and three-story brick dependency. The dependency features a nineteenth-century toilet and bathtub, which were considered to be rare amenities for the time.

A Great Choice for Lunch

by Stephen-KarenConn about The Castle Restaurant & Pub

This fine restaurant is on the Dunleith Plantation and directly behind the very impressive white-colonnaded Greek-revival mansion. The "Castle" is a restored 1790s carriage house which offers very good food and service in a fabulous setting at a reasonable price. It was obvious that many local people eat here as well as tourists. We found it to be an excellent choice for one of our lunches in Natchez. Karen opted for a grilled chicken sandwich which she said was good. I couldn't resist the home-style Southern cooking with a fried half-chicken, mustard greens, rice and gravy (see photo). It was a great lunch!

Dining at Dunleith Plantation

by VeronicaG about The Castle Restaurant at Dunleith

For a romantic candlelit meal, we made reservations at The Castle, Dunleith Plantation's restaurant, where we dined in a historic setting. The building, once home to the plantation's horses, has a crenelated top resembling a castle, hence the name.

A young group teens dining before their Prom made for a noisy main dining room, so my husband asked to be seated in a quiet area. We were led to a side room and for most of the evening, we felt like we had been quarantined. Oops, perhaps a bad move on our part!

However, the room had ambience with its bricked walls and cozy dining space, so we enjoyed each other's company...and the silence. The service was ok, but since we had chosen to remove ourselves...it was a bit slow.

We both ordered a juicy, pork tenderloin--I substituted the mashed sweet potatoes and cabbage for au gratin potatoes and vegetable medley. My meal began with a Dunleith salad--mixed greens and oranges ($7.00), while Jim enjoyed an artichoke and crab soup ($7.50). A shared cannoli ended our lovely meal ($6.00).

A wedding was being held at Dunleith this evening, so before our meal we walked about and took pictures of a horse-drawn carriage and the gorgeous mansion. What a divine place to pledge one's vows!

Lunching at Stanton Hall

by VeronicaG about The Carriage House

After touring elegant Stanton Hall, we turned to The Carriage House for lunch. This restaurant is on the plantation grounds and famous for it's fried chicken and mint juleps. When we arrived the dining room was filled to capacity.

Knowing we had reservations at Dunleith Plantation that evening for dinner, we nixed the fried chicken and both selected The Queens Salad which was tomato aspic, potato salad, chicken salad and boiled egg ($8.95). The combo was tasty and served with biscuits that were light-as-air!

Looking about, I noticed several of the tables had ordered mint juleps, so I thought I'd order one, too. The last and only mint julep I had tried was at The Kentucky Derby over 30 years ago, so I thought I'd sample it again. I was hoping it would taste better---nope!

My julep sat pretty well neglected because it still tasted...well, awful! I guess I'm just not a proper sampler for this very popular Southern drink. The waitress told me the julep had two shots of bourbon, mint flavoring and ice. Next time, I'll order ice tea as my husband did.

Dunleith Plantation

by Stephen-KarenConn

Encircled by 26 stately white columns, Dunleith is one of the most beautiful mansions in Natchez. Yet it has a history of tragedy.

The site was originally occupied by another mansion called "Routhland," built during the late 1700s by Job Routh and his wife. They both died and left the house to their daughter, Mary, who was 15 years of age and already a widow. Mary took Charles Dahlgren as her second husband and inherited the house.

In 1855 Routhland was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. Dahlgren built a new mansion (the present one) in its place in 1856. Mary, still a very young woman, only enjoyed the new house for three years when she tragically died. The property was sold for $30,000 in order to settle the estate. The new owner, Alfred Vidal Davis, gave the house the Scottish name of Dunleith.

There has been a succession of owners at Dunleith over the past 150 years. In 1999 it was purchased by Mrs. Edward Worley and her Son, Michael who have done extensive restoration and renovation. The home is presently operated as a bed and breakfast. The 18th century carriage house behind the mansion houses the Castle Restaurant, where Karen and I enjoyed a very good lunch. The forty-acre estate also includes a dairy barn, poultry house and a three-story brick dependency. The dependency has features that were considered rare amenities at the time of their installation - a toilet and bathtub.

Dunleith is open daily for guided tours. Admission for adults is $7.00.

Dunleith PlantationDunleith Plantation

Dunleith Plantation, Natchez, MississippiDunleith Plantation, Natchez, Mississippi

Dunleith Plantation, Side ViewDunleith Plantation, Side View