400 N Lamar Blvd, Oxford, MS, 38655
Downtown Oxford Inn
Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Oxford

btyant hall globebtyant hall globe

miss maude faulkner housemiss maude faulkner house

union general a. j. "whiskey" smithunion general a. j. "whiskey" smith

Ventress Hall - Liberal Arts admin. buildingVentress Hall - Liberal Arts admin. building

Travel Tips for Oxford

Oxford...an Odd Mix of Academia and Big Hair

by Small_World

Almost every year a friend I've known since I was three meet in Mississippi for a small-town tour of Mississippi. We always have the most amazing experiences...this year was no exception.

We don't really do anything touristy; we simply stroll around the towns and interact with the locals and soak in the atmosphere. And believe me, in Mississippi there's as much atmosphere as there is humidity.

This year we chose to visit Oxford, and I think it may be our new favorite town. Which is pretty hard for us to admit since we both grew up in Starkville, the home of MSU, the university that is the arch rival of Oxford's Ole Miss.

We were here the weekend that Ole Miss was playing Texas for the baseball championship series, so the place was unbelievably crowded. We could barely find a parking place downtown. Ok. So yeah. You may have noticed (I just noticed it myself) that in the picture above there's a parking place we must have missed. Right in front of the place we were wanting to go. It's attention to details like that that make me so good at my job as copy editor. grr.

Oxford is the home of William Faulkner, and its natives are proud of that and feel the importance of carrying on that literary tradition. So it doesn't surprise me that the most popular store in town is Square Books. But what did surprise me was the big-hair factor. Women there look as if they just stepped out of a salon (a Dallas salon, I mean), and many of them were wearing dresses and nice slacks, not like typical Americans in shorts and T-shirts.

Comments