Ahern's Belle of the Bends

508 Klein Street, Vicksburg, Mississippi, 39180, United States

More about Ahern's Belle of the Bends

The Belle is the Bomb!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member melmadcal

Our anniversary stay at the Belle was a dream! When I described our weekend to my 7-year old daughter,she said, "You and Daddy were King and Queen!" Indeed, it felt that way! Breakfast was outstanding and Dan and Mary Lee are wonderful host. The Belle is a great weekend getaway.

Number One for a reason

My husband and I just returned from celebrating our 11th anniversary at the Belle of the Bends. We enjoy staying at B&B's and have visited inns from the Wine Country in California, the New England states, Martha's Vineyard, the Amish Country in Pennsylvania, and many others in between. I must say that this home is one of the most beautiful, if not THE most beautiful, that we've ever visited. From the moment we arrived I could hardly take my eyes off of the mouldings, chandeliers, and exquisite furnishings. The 13 and a half foot ceilings of the home contribute to the feelings of grandeur and spaciousness. We stayed in, and loved, the Rose Haven room but after touring the home realized all of the rooms were beautiful and unique.

We felt the warmth and hospitality of the innkeepers, Mary and Dan, right away. The breakfasts were absolutely outstanding. It's not hard to see why the Belle of the Bends is rated Number One in Vicksburg. We cannot imagine wanting to stay anywhere else here. The attention to the small details that make an experience so memorable was not overlooked. We had the romance package and Mary graciously wrapped the flowers so we could bring them home. They are still fresh and beautiful, five days later.

Vicksburg's Five Star Southern Hospitality and Charm B & B

Romance, charm, Southern hospitality all wrapped into one palatial, Victorian mansion is what Mary and Dan Lee have done with their home, Belle of the Bends in Vicksburg, MS. From the time of your arrival until your departure (work forced me to part company), you are not only made to feel welcome but as if you've been adopted into their family.
The Belle is surrounded with delightful gardens to enjoy and sits atop a bluff overlooking the Miss River (perfect for sunset viewing from the gallery). The grandeur of the home exceeded my expectations and the bedrooms are of legendary romantic elegance with the perfect blending of modern day amenities. The breakfast was a work of art, love and Southern quantity, served by the innkeepers with tantalizing wit and wisdom for good measure. Their signature "treats" each evening, placed ever so discreetly in my room was the perfect end to each day as I slipped back into a slower paced era where guests were and still are treated like royalty at The Belle.
Highly recommend this B & B whether romanticing, vacationing or work related travel!

Wonderful Bed and Breakfast

Belle of the Bends Bed and Breakfast was my first experience with a bed and breakfast. This one is first class. My new husband and I wanted the comfort of home and had no idea how at home we would feel or be treated. Dan and Mary have a beautiful home they have opened to share with all that enter. From the time Karen opened the door, we felt welcome, and like we were a part of the family. Breakfast could not have been better. It was like one big family sitting down to eat together and catching up on the latest. The owner and employee (Karen) joined us each morning for breakfast. There were 2 other couples there the same time we were and it was as I said like one big family. This was a wonderful way to start our new life together as newlyweds. We are already talking about returning for a visit. If you have never experienced a bed and breakfast, I highly recommend visiting Belle of the Bends.

Wonderful Bed and Breakfast

Recently,my wife and I celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary with Dan and Mary at their wonderful home, Belle of the Bends. Both Dan and Mary made us feel at home from from the time we arrived. We stayed in The Josephine Suite. This room was wonderfully decorated with a king size bed and beautiful antique furnishings. Each night we received a wonderful treat with our bed turned down. The morning breakfast was incredible and consist of homemade muffins and sweet breads. Other delicious items were fresh fruits, coffee, homemade quiche sausage, bacon and eggs and fried potatoes, and croissant french toast. Each morning Mary would take time to sit and visit with us after breakfast to share some interesting facts about Vicksburg and The Belle. We espeically enjoyed the swings on the veranda. Each morning we would drink coffee on the veranda enjoying the view of the river and the quiteness of a small town. We would certainly recommend this bed and breakfast. The house is amazing but Dan and Mary make the whole experience come together.

Wonderful Place to Unwind

by TripAdvisor Member cheriem

My husband and I needed a break from our jobs, and a way to celebrate our 35 years together, and we've wanted to take a trip to Vicksburg for a long time. We are both history buffs and we love the architecture of older homes. I especially like the area around Vicksburg and Natchez (having been there years ago). We elected to stay at a B&B, something out of the ordinary for us, and after seeing the Belle of the Bends on several searches, we decided that's where we'd like to stay. We arrived on a Tuesday afternoon, to a wonderful, homey greeting by Karen, the Belle's fill-in hostess. Karen checked us in and gave us a tour of the home, all the while answering any questions we threw at her. If she didn't know the answer, she said she'd find out from Mary (the owner, along with Dan). We were guests of the Lee's for two nights, and two delicious, home-cooked breakfasts! Seriously, the breakfast is enough to last most of the day! The home is clean, beautifully decorated, quiet (except for the occasional train nearby, which didn't bother us a bit) and very homey. We opted for one of their package deals, which introduced us to Vicksburg and places we might have not taken advantage of otherwise. Very good deal.
Many thanks to Dan and Mary (and Karen) for an enjoyable couple of days!

First B&B Experience was Wonderful at Belle of the Bends

by TripAdvisor Member gma42boys

This was our first experience staying at any B&B. We researched on the internet and after reading great reviews about The Belle, we decided to stay there in Vicksburg. Mary and Dan are lovely hosts and the home is kept in wonderfully clean condition. The chocolate strawberries and the freshly baked cookies were great surprises awaiting us when we returned back to the home in the afternoons. We enjoyed viewing the videos about the civil war and Vicksburg. Delicious breakfasts were served by Mary both days we stayed at The Belle. I must say that this experience was wonderful!

Loved the authenticity of the mansion

We just returned from our first visit to Vicksburg and I do not think we could have stayed in a more inviting bed & breakfast. The home was beautiful with all of Mary and Dan's personal touches throughout and the warm hospitality that they share. You can truly tell that they enjoy what they do each day to make your visit special. If you are looking for rest and relaxation this is the bed & breakfast to stay at with the large veranda's. Don't forget to visit Mary's gift shop during your stay.

Loved this B and B

My husband and I stayed at Belle of the Bends for a long weekend in July. The home is beautiful, immaculate, and furnished in the appropriate period. Rooms are large and comfortable, and the hosts are charming. Breakfasts were tasty and bountiful, served promptly at nine (coffee is available by 7 AM) on beautiful china and crystal. The turndown service was excellent - left on the beds were chocolate dipped strawberries one night, and chocolate chip cookies the next. Even the gift shop is cute! Vicksburg is a great place for a getaway if you are into Civil War history. The battlefield, the museums, and the many buildings on the National Historic Register are all very well preserved and interesting. We were there to track down ancestral graves and homes, and found everyone to be quite helpful and friendly. However, Vicksburg seems to suffer from a shortage of upscale restaurants - our breakfast on the second morning was the best meal we had, in my opinion (my husband is a chef, so food is important to us)!

Quality experience in beautiful home

My husband and I stayed for two nights at Belle of the Bends, a postbellum home in Vicksburg. We got a glimpse of life back in the 1800s with oldtime Southern hospitality and modern comforts, as we enjoyed a romantic relaxing stay. The home is well cared for and clean, as the Lees live and work there daily to maintain the excellent condition of this beautiful house and seek to improve the building and grounds to create one of the finest choices for B & B stays that we have ever experienced. The owners give great attention to detail in packages offered, services provided, and personal touches that make this home wonderful. The tour, gift shop, southern breakfast, and candid advice about sightseeing made us happily comfortable and provided us with history, momentos, and great experiences while we did our dining and sightseeing around the historic town. I loved learning about the owners, architectural details, and magnificent furnishings of the exterior and interior of the place, and discovered that the few owners over the last century have been key in maintaining the beauty of it. Our host Mary was a great cook, a pleasant help in booking reservations for our river boat tour and dinner at Cedar Grove, and an excellent guide as she taught us about the place and its history, furniture, artwork, and existence under her care. We enjoyed privacy, sitting on the veranda in the porch swing, a library of videos to choose from, a bouquet of pink roses and chilled champagne in the Josephine Suite, and secure parking on the property. It is within walking distance of other historic homes and we could see the Yazoo River, and a working mill at the foot of the hill. Trains on the nearby railroad tracks came through several times, and the blowing of the whistle took us back in time. Earplugs were provided for us to use if needed, but after a day of exploring tour homes and Civil War Battlegrounds, we had no trouble sleeping in our cool air conditioned bedroom, especially after having delicious meals at local restaurants. We enjoyed the nighttime treats left on our spacious king sized bed and conversations at breakfast with the owners, an industrious and caring married couple. Overall, our stay was a very memorable and pleasing experience and it was extremely evident to us as guests, that running this B & B is a true labor of love for its owners.

memorial archmemorial arch

Front view-Go inside to appreciate the glassFront view-Go inside to appreciate the glass

Union Tunnel to Thayer's ApproachUnion Tunnel to Thayer's Approach