Anchuca Historic Mansion & Inn

1010 First East Street, Vicksburg, Mississippi, 39183, United States

• Excellent Experience!

We liked the personal service and exquisite food along with the impeccable furnishings. Our hosts Tom and Chris made our stay a pleasure from start to finish. We highly recommend dining at Cafe Anchuca. The mixed grill was absolutely amazing! WOW! This B & B will be a regular vacation destination.

Unique Quality: The wonderful plantation breakfast and first class service. Also, Cafe Anchuca is open for lunch, dinner a few days a week and Sunday brunch.

Directions: Close to the Mississippi River

• What a low !

I already went there 2 years ago, and enjoyed a lovely stay. This is why my girlfriend and I decided to go back there. We did not expect this place had change that much ...

When we arrived at the Anchuca we were directed to the room the travel agency had reserved. The room was tiny, the main AC was broken, so they had to put a mobile AC unit as well as an extra fan and we were recommended not to use both the AC and the hair dryer at the same time or the fuse would blow … As it was not enough, we discovered that the room was also used as storage, as we spotted cartons full of carpet squares under the bed. Of course, we just could not accept this situation and complained to the office.

We talked about this to Tom Pharr, and he agreed the room was usually reserved for the short stays (1-2 nights) and was not suited for a longer stay. He also justified the storage by the fact that an other room was in renovation and no other storage room was available. He proposed us a corporate apartment, traditionally reserved for salesmen or public servants in duty but not for tourists, he owned nearby for the same price and promised us we would have a room in the mansion in less than two days. As we had no choice we accepted.

When we arrived at the corporate apartment, we soon realize we had left an uneasy situation for an other one ! The floor was stained, there were dustbunnies under the beds. If it was not enough, we soon realized that, if there were two bedrooms, they were equipped with one 54x75 bed in each which is , as we are both tall (6 and 5.6), unsuitable for two persons. So, not only could not we sleep in the same bed, but not even in the same room … For the furnitures, well, we were far from the 1830’s mansion we expected and was normally reserved. But we still naively thought it was for a short time and that Tom Pharr would keep his word.
    Well, he never told us again about an other room, what a surprise … not. During our stay, the floor has never been cleaned, neither even swept, the beds randomly made. In other words, we we had just been dropped there like numbers and certainly not guests.

At this point, you can easily imagine we were seriously disappointed with our stay, but our deception was not over. As we had to leave early on the 6th, we checked out in the evening on the day before. I gave my credit card to the clerk at the office. First news, I was charged $825 (150/nigh before taxes) and, when I asked for a bill, he was unable to provide something more than a “post-it”. Now, enough was enough, and I asked some serious explanation about this mess. The clerk was unable to find any, and so I told him I would be back in the 2 following hours and expected a real bill. Two hours later, we came back at the office, and a real bill was awaiting us, this time for a $135/night before charges. I understood there was no point to argue with people with such a bad faith and and dropped the case, in this place where fooling foreigners seems to be the national sport.

• Vicksburg's best kept treasure

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the stay at Anchuca. The house is lovely and the hospitality was heart warming.

The breakfasts were amazing, and I am looking forward to trying some of the recipes. I bought a jar of the chutney to give to my Mother. I know she will love it as much as I do!

I will tell all my friends of this beautiful Inn and how much I enjoyed the trip. I am also looking forward to using that coupon in the cookbook for a return visit this fall.

Unique Quality: Beautiful gardens and pool area. Intimate and romantic setting. exceptional linens.

Directions: "Old Town" Vicksburgs most historic neighborhood. Walking distanct to gift shops, museums, fine dining, casinos and more.

Comments