COMMUNITY OF CHRIST TEMPLE INTERIOR
Theological thought continued to develop throughout Joseph Smith, Jr.'s, life as did the particular role played by temples with regards to those beliefs. Two temples were constructed during Smith's life - Kirtland and Ohio and while looking outwardly similar, inside two different games were at hand. The Community of Christ temple is closer in function, if not exactly in spirit, to the temple in Kirtland. The temple - dedicated in 1994 - was designed by Gyo Obata with a 300 foot metal spire curling upwards from the spiral of a nautiloid. Standing as a house of worship and education dedicated to the pursuit of peace, the temple also contains the church headquarters, archives, a museum and other meeting rooms. The main sanctuary is reached via the Worshipper's Path which you enter via an entry of carved glass evocative of the New York grove where Joseph Smith began his religious experiences. Gently ascending, the path passes by artworks and a fountain allowing a meditative approach to the main room which has seating for 1600. There is a 102 rank, 5685 pipe Casavantes Freres pipe organ at the front of the main room which fills the air inside the shell with appropriate music. A large stained glass wall depicting wheat and rice - "The field is white, ready to Harvest" - is found in the exit foyer. Huge bronze doors carrying the church's seal open onto the World Plaza - a plaza boasting a huge inlaid brick map of the World.
Daily tours: Nov - March Mon-Fri 9 am-4 pm, Sat 10 am-4 pm, Sun 1-4pm; April - Oct Mon-Sat 9 am-5pm, Sun 1-5 pm
There is a daily Prayer for Peace given each day at 1 pm. Organ recitals rotate between the Temple and the Auditorium: Sept - May Sunday 3 pm; June - August daily 3 pm.