See all the fountains. Kansas...
See all the fountains. Kansas City has more working fountains than Rome, Italy. Kansas City's first fountains were erected over springs to provide clean drinking water for horses. One of the best known fountains is the JC Nichols Memorial Fountain.' This is the most-photographed of all of the city's fountains. The four equestrian fugures are said to represent four rivers: the Mississippi River (the one with the Indian riding the horse and beating off an alligator), the Volga River (with the bear), the Seine and the Rhine.
Kansas City Wizards Soccer-er Football-no Soccer..
Major League Soccer (MLS) is a first division professional soccer league in the United States. We have had The KC Wizards (formerly KC Wiz) since 1996, but I believe that the interest in soccer did not surge until 2000 when the Wizards had an outstanding year and became MLS champions. It's sort of the equivalent of winning the superbowl of soccer.
Kansas City Wizards, one of the first ten original teams to have been created, is founded by Lamar Hunt who is also the founder of the Kansas City Chiefs and owner of the Columbus Crew (eastern conference).
The Wizards are part of the Western conference which includeds San Jose, Los Angeles, Colorado and Dallas. The Eastern conference houses the Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew, D. C. United, New England Revolution, and the New York/New Jersey MetroStars
Unlike many other professional sports leagues in the United States, MLS is organized as a "single-entity" organization, in which the league contracts directly with the players, in an effort to control spending and maximize exposure. Each team has an owner/investor and the league allows an owner to have more than one team.
Interesting to note that Kansas City Wizards midfielder Chris Klein was selected to be part of the 23-man U.S. Soccer Team. begins preparation for the 2003 FIFA Confederations Cup in France. I guess that's pretty big in the world of soccer.
Prices for tickets starting at
adult -- $12
kids -- $8
Individual Vehicle -- $6 per game
Wizards ticket holder -- $5 per game
Major William Warner House
I had driven by the Major William Warner House on several occasions without realizing its significance. Warner was a congressman and senator from Missouri, and founder of Kansas City Life Insurance Company. His home, located in the 1000 block of Pennsylvania in the Quality Hill District, now houses a Partnership for Children United Way agency. It was constructed in 1865.
Kansas City's old Quality Hill neighborhood has undergone a major reformation in recent years and townhouses and condos in the area are highly desirable.
I went to the free King Tut...
I went to the free King Tut exhibit at Crown Center. The exhibit will end on April 21st, 2002 so you may not be able to see it. There is always some thing happening at Crown Center. I was not allowed to take photos so I scanned this brochure photo.
KC's Top 5 Restaurants-- A Local's Take
If you're visiting town and want some excellent pie, here are the places you can't miss:
1. Johnny C's Pizza, Shawnee KS. Truly unique and unbelievably good. Thin, almost cracker style crust, great cheese blend and spicy pepperoni. Ambience? Dive meets family hangout. I've been going for over half my life. The "Cheers" of pizza joints.
2. Oklahoma Joe's Bar-b-Que, Kansas City, KS. The best barbeque in KC is hiding in a Total gas station at 47th and Mission Road. Lunch lines are daily out the door and definitely worth it. I'm there once a week. Don't miss the ribs, the ZMan sandwich or the fries-- which I've delivered cross country for a friend.
3. Werner's Deli, Mission KS. On Saturday, go to Werners for lunch for fresh grilled Brats, Polish or Italian Sausages. Be prepared to wait a few minutes and whatever you do, don't ask for catsup--you'll get a blast from the cook's water pistol.
4. Town Topic, KCMO. The dive of dives, Town Topic has the best grill in town For breakfast under five bucks, nothing beats their biscuits and gravy or eggs and hashbrowns. Any of their waitresses can beat you in a street fight, but their charm will win you over before you get your food. Save room for pie.
5. Garozzo's, KCMO. The best Italian food on the planet. Get there early for dinner, and keep your eyes peeled for sports stars and heads of state. The Chicken Spedini is legendary, and the service is outstanding. Ask for one of Hershel's tables. You can't go wrong at any of the places.