Hampton Inn Kansas City-Airport

Hampton Inn Kansas City Airport
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

More about Kansas City

Macky Hall Admin building-circa 1893Macky Hall Admin building-circa 1893

Allied commnders stand tall in Memory HallAllied commnders stand tall in Memory Hall

One Of The Fantastic Trees In Loose ParkOne Of The Fantastic Trees In Loose Park

Street view of the shopsStreet view of the shops

Road trip to Denver from Nashville via KC

by GeneralTsao

Well, it's almost a sure-thing; I'll be taking a quick road trip to Denver from Nashville, TN at the end of May (including Memorial Day weekend).

My travels will take me on Interstates 24, 57, 64, and 70. Approx. 2500 miles r/t and I'm going to try to do it in five days or fewer. Whew! I'm pooped just thinking about it.

Are there any "must-see" places you know of on or near that route?

Anyone want to meet me for lunch (or something), or just wave as I drive by?

General

by GeneralTsao

Hi! Thanks for your response. I really don't know what's enroute--I've never been on I-70 West of St. Louis.

Maybe some on line here have suggestions for this "dead end" kid.

General Tsao

by AcornMan

>>I've never been on I-70 West of St. Louis.<<

I can assure you that you're not missing much. Sad to say, but there's really not anything worth seeing between St. Louis and Denver. I've been on every inch of that highway more times than I could possibly estimate. That being said, if you want a break from the monotony of the typical fast food joints on the highway, I would recommend going to downtown Lawrence for a meal if you happen to pass by at the right time. The northern part of Massachusetts Street has lots of great little places to eat. It's a college town, so it has a good atmosphere. Otherwise, honestly, it's a really boring trip. The highway going through Missouri is always overcrowded and in terrible condition, and while you shouldn't have that problem in Kansas or Colorado it's as boring as any stretch of road anywhere on the planet. I live in Topeka, but I'll be leaving for a trip of my own on May 28 so I'm afraid I can't offer to meet up with you. Enjoy your trip.

by GeneralTsao

Great. Now I'm depressed.

(what emoticon indicates "depressed"?)

by LauraWest

you could stop in St. Louis! I have some good tips on that on my travel pages! Also, the Jazz Museum in Kansas City is supposed to be very good, but I haven't been to KC in years...Columbia, Mo. is also a good University town on 70.

by GeneralTsao

Thank-you. I have been to St. Louis twice in the past few years, so I don't know if a stop there is in order this time around--unless I stop to get a Fat Tire, which was a pretty good beer. :o)

General Tsao

Travel Tips for Kansas City

Kansas City likes water. Not...

by DrewV

Kansas City likes water. Not only is it set upon the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers (convenient, since the city straddles the states of Kansas and Missouri), but the city has constructed an insane amount of fountains. Only Rome has more, according to city boosters. It's remarkable. Everywhere you walk in this town (and there are several nicely walkable areas), you pass by a fountain. Sometimes it's a magnificent work like this one; other times, it's a simple trickle. Either way, it's surprising for the visitor, and gives a nicely relaxing feel to the city.

Sculpture - Lewis and Clark

by yooperprof

In 1804, Merriweather Lewis and William Clark, along with their expedition, passed this point overlooking the junction of the Missouri and Kansas Rivers on the continental expedition.

To commemorate the bicentennial of their journal, the city commissioned this new piece. It's by contemporary (traditional) sculptor Eugene Daub, and depicts Lewis & Clark, Sakakawea, the faithful dog Seaman, and York, Clark's slave (not seen in this view.) The Lewis and Clark memorial is in Case Park, at 8th and Jefferson in the northwest corner of the downtown "Freeway Loop."

Peaceful abbey in rolling hills

by Camille_W

Conception Abbey is a place I find myself returning to every couple of months. It is a Benedictine Abbey located about 75 miles north of Kansas City, set on gently rolling hills and open fields. The grounds always seem quiet and peaceful, and I always feel the presence of God in this sacred place.

The monks at the Abbey still worship with musical offices throughout the day, and it is well worth your time to plan a visit to hear Vespers at sundown.

The Abbey also runs a printing shop that makes holiday cards that you can find at many Christian bookstores. And they have rooms to rent for a very quiet "get away from it all" weekend.

The Plaza is several blocks of...

by slabeaume

The Plaza is several blocks of fine stores and restaurants. It's also very pretty and a very big tourist area. At Christmas time, it's filled with lights. It gets a little difficult to drive around there with all the horse drawn carriages that are driven through there then.

Downtown Nightlife Playground

by yooperprof about Power & Light District

The Power and Light District, opened in late 2007, looks ready to revitalize downtown Kansas City, MO. A project of the Baltimore-based developers, Cordish, the P & L District is the fruit of long-term planning (and hoping). The goal is to encourage the region's far-flung population to once again regard the center of the center as a place worth caring about. Generally, the District is seeking to "piggy-back" upon the adjacent multi-use Sports and Entertainment "Sprint Arena," as well as catering to the day-time population of office-workers and the hoped-for night-time population of bar-hoppers and suburbanites out for a good time.

I haven't been here at night, but I noticed a number of watering holes all sharing a common space in the center where patrons can mingle and meet. My older brother - who has been here after Sprint Center events - says it can be quite a happening space. Apparently, "open containers" are permissable as long as patrons don't leave the "Power and Light" perimeter.

Comments