106 W 12th Street, Kansas City, Missouri, 64105, United States
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Hotel Phillips

Love the Hotel Phillips

I stayed at the Hotel Phillips for the second time this weekend and had another wonderful experience. The first time I booked this hotel, I was very impressed with the size and quality of the room. The beds have down comforters, the decor is great, and I love the faucets in the bathroom. I was a little nervous this time however because I booked a room for a friend a few months ago through priceline for her anniversary and it didn't turn out well. I "bragged up" the Hotel Phillips to her. She was very disappointed and said that their room was very small. I wondered if they had stuck her in a small room because it was booked through priceline. I booked through priceline this time and recieved the Hotel Phillips again. I was traveling with a group of people and I was in charge of the rooms. I was worried that we would be stuck in small rooms like my friend. I went ahead and paid $15 to upgrade to a suite. Of course, I only gave $45 through priceline so it was still cheap. Our adjoining suites were spacious and just as I remembered. I wonder what our room would have looked like if we hadn't upgraded however. I am not sure if I had a suite the first time. I know I didn't book it that way. I remember the room being big, but I think these were bigger.

Hotel Phillips has very upscale shampoo's, soaps, and etc. My room had Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo, conditioner and body soap. I fell in love with it, smuggled all I could back, and now I am addicted and I am going to have to pay $50 to get a bottle.

The staff was very courteous, except for a receptionist on the night shift. I came back seperate from some of our other group members and had given my key to my brother (I didn't have any pockets). She was not going to give me a key to the room because she assumed that my name was not on the room. After I explained the situation and told her that I had booked the room myself and told her to look it up, she did give me a key, but was not very happy about it. I figure they stick her on nightshift so she doesn't have to deal with many people.

The only negative things I can think of about the Hotel Phillips is that the parking sucks. Unless you want to pay $15 a day to valet park, your only other option is to find an open space along the street. The neighborhood gets kind of scary a few blocks away. There is no pool or hottub at the hotel, only a fitness center. The Hotel also does not have rooms with double beds, but you can upgrade to a King size bed with a Queen pull out for $15. This Hotel caters more to business travelers and couples looking for a nice getaway.

The Kansas City Lyric Opera is within walking distance, so is the convention center and a few other "arts and music" type establishments. The Country Club plaza is a 2-3 mile drive straight south and is easy to get to from the hotel, as is Westport Plaza. If you aren't from K.C. or have never been to K.C. The Country Club Plaza is worth the drive. There are many upscale shops and restraunts. It is a quaint area where people walk around, take carriage rides, and dine. Sometimes there is people playing music on the streets and at Christmas time, the Plaza is all "lit up". Otherwise there is not a lot of nightlife around the Hotel and walking around downtown of an evening did not appear to be to safe.

If you love historic hotels with a lot of character. You will love the Hotel Phillips. The staircase is amazing. If you are traveling with children, stay somewhere with a pool.

Just a little note of advise. If you want to stay at the Hotel Phillips, but don't want to pay the hefty price. Go through priceline. Select the "downtown" area only and 4 star only. I would almost guarentee you will get the Hotel Phillips and if you don't the Marriot and Mulebach are nice also. I believe it is the only one that is rated 4 stars in the downtown area. You can get it for $40-$50 and then pay $15 to upgrade.....

Hope this review was helpful

Hotel Phillips Was A Quaint Hotel

The staff at the Hotel Philips made checking in quick and friendly. The ride up to the hotel room in cars that resemble the old Empire State Building elevators sets the mood in this hotel built in 1931 and renovated for $20M in 2001 (though it's kept its 30s charm).

The Queen Superior room was smallish, but comfortable with slightly more than half of the room housing a queen bed with a very comfortable down comforter and the other half of the room housing a desk and couch. The room is divided in half not by any half walls, but by beautiful crown molding which is divided near the center of the room, giving it a "two room" feel.

The bathroom was adequate and featured an interesting sink that seemed to pour the water as if from a jar instead of spraying. The toilet leaked, though not much, and the shower curtain did a poor job of keeping the water in the shower. Shampoo, conditioner, hand soap, body soap, and lotion were provided. The shampoo was a lovely Rosemary Mint scent.

There isn't much nearby except for the Convention Center and some other hotels, so if you're planning on going to The Plaza or to a movie, keep in mind that this will be a 10 to 15 minute drive (although it's very easy to get to by car).

One final suggestion is to stay away from ordering room service. Our ravioli arrived only lukewarm and there was no butter or oil for our bread. (It was delicious and no doubt would have been served piping hot and perfect had we gone down to 12 Baltimore itself to eat it, but arrived almost cold probably due to cooking our appetizer as an afterthought and our ravioli having to wait on it to cook.)

Overall, an above average experience.

Good for the price

I stayed for 2 days. I booked a room on priceline. My one complaint of the room was the tv screen facing perpendicular to the bed. If the bed was facing the tvI'd give it 5 stars. They probably gave me the "priceline" room so you might want to upgrade. The sink was unique, as was the lobby and the shampoo products. I think they use aveda.

I ordered room service around midnight and it was ok. They do have a 24hr menu. I had a bell hop fetch a cab for me. Service was good.

Valet parking is $14. You can park at the Bartle Hall parking lot. You can find it one block to the southwest. It is underground and manned 24 hrs. It cost $10 a day. There are a few pay lots that are unattended and $5 but the neighborhood is not the greatest.

I Love This Hotel

Having traveled extensively throughout the United States, I can say without reservation that the Hotel Phillips is my favorite place to stay. I always feel like I have come home when I check in to this hotel and recommend it highly.

We loved this hotel!!!!!!

My husband & I stayed at the Hotel Phillips on 2/25/05 for our 16th anniversary. Checking in was a pleasure as the two front desk clerks were helpful and very courtious. The lobby is awesome....very nicely restored...beautiful woodwork and the most beautiful lobby staircase.

The elevator cars were like stepping back in time... Small but very quaint! The walls in the elevators were restored with the original brass tiled walls. Very unique I thought. We stayed on the 19th floor. I highly reccommend asking for an upper floor as the views out our windows (of downtown KC) at night was breathtaking!

Our suite was alittle on the small side but very clean and so comfortable. They had everything you need...like extra blankets, sheets, robes & gourmet coffee's and lot's more. The bed was out of this world...the most comfy down comforter...high count sheets and plenty of pillows. It's the most comfy night sleep I have had a hotel so far!

The bathroom was unique...especially the sink faucets where the water seemed to flow out like a babbling brook. A small glass wall seperates the sink area from the shower. Good water pressure, lot's of towels and very clean!

The only bad thing I can say about this hotel is the parking...which is probably the case with most downtown hotels. You can use valet parking which is $14.00, but I would recommend parking around the corner at Wyandotte parking garage for $8.00

If you want more nightlife within walking distance...stay at the Raphael on the Plaza. But this hotel is just as good...if not better in some ways. We would definately stay again!

While in KC I recommend having dinner at Sky's restaurante. It's a spinning restaurante at the top of the Hyatt Regency Hotel on Grand Street. Very pricy, but the amazing views are worth it!

Excellent stay at Hotel Phillips

We just returned from a weekend stay at the Hotel Phillips. It was everything we expected and more! We booked using priceline and got it for $50 a night. Simple and easy, no hassles. The room we received was a standard queen non-smoking. The room was exactly as pictured on the website. It was an extremely comfortable bed (the best ever) a spacious room with a separate sitting area as mentioned in other posts. We did no upgrades or anything and found the room large. The only weird thing was the TV placement perpendicular to everything...not that big of a deal.

The bathroom is very nice, and the faucet is worth mentioning! We showered at diffenent times morning and evening and never ever ran out of hot water. Amazing.

The staff was very helpful and friendly.

We ate dinner at the 12th and Baltimore it was very good.

We will definately return. This was our best hotel experience ever!!!

European Charm, but A Little Wary to Return

I spent four nights at the Hotel Phillips this past week. The hotel's lobby was quite lovely, with a well-maintained art deco charm. My corner room was very clean, the bathroom was well-stocked with Aveda products, and I appreciated the internet access, et. al. I comfortably walk most places, so at just over a mile, I enjoyed the mild weather and flat, though very undramatic walk to the Crown Center each day.

However, my third night at the Hotel Phillips I was abruptly awoken at midnight by some incredibly boorish neighbors across the hall. In amazement, I watched as literally DOZENS of drunken 20-somethings piled into this room with cases of beer and booze. I called the front desk ASAP, and was told they'd handle it. For the next 45 minutes, the door across the hall loudly swung open-and-shut, the partying continued, and needless to say I got no sleep. I phoned again, insisted that something be done. Some minutes later, I heard a manager (?) issuing a stern warning to the congregants. After his departure, the noise level in the hall dimmed somewhat, but the door to the room kept swinging open, and very audible carrying-on could be heard, both within the room and in the hallway. I called down to the front desk a third time. A manager came up again and issued a stern warning. Some time after he left, I could hear the room's occupants in the hall, discussing taking their party down to the seventh floor. Those poor guests, by this time it was after 2!

The next morning, I complained to the front desk personnel who seemed to have no knowledge of the incident. However, when I returned later that evening I found a significant gift certificate for the hotel's restaurant and room service. Regrettably, I had dinner plans that evening elsewhere, but that night slept peacefully, and ordered a copious amount of room service before checking out the next morning.

In short, the gift certificate was a welcome apology, but I hope the hotel will handle these sorts of unfortunate events immediately rather than over two hours or so later.

Nice hotel, nothing to do...

Personally, the hotel is lovely, and the people working there are average in terms of who you'd find working in a hotel in terms of friendliness and helpfulness. We ate in the restaurant (not the Chophouse, but the other one ?? I forget the name) with 4 other tables seated, and waited over 1/2 hour for soups and sandwiches during a Tuesday lunch. Not happy on a time frame. The neighborhood, if you can call it that, has a very dated steak place (decent steaks though), Starbucks and a few fast food places, all of which close EARLY. The closest nightlife that made me NOT feel that I would be mugged was in the City Market, probably about a mile North and East. Other than that, to avoid people urinating in the alleys, I enjoyed the Plaza area South of the hotel a few miles. Next time for a business trip, I'll probably be staying there. The concierge tried to convince me that downtown is hopping for shopping and dining, but I'm not quite sure if they meant downtown Kansas City. I did notice a few blocks down that you could probably get some sort of illicit fix, however...

Signed,
I'm sticking with the Plaza

Fabulous!

An excellent hotel for comfort, quiet and elegance. We were extremely pleased with our room (very unique, clean) and the friendliness of the staff. We didn't eat at any onsite establishments, but since we knew the area and had a vehicle, this was not a problem. The bed and pillows were fantastic. The photos on the website do not do this hotel justice. This is our new favorite place to stay in KC!

Exquisite!

by TripAdvisor Member 1stvisit

Beautiful Art Deco Architecture has been born again at the Hotel Phillips. This downtown hotel is once again Kansas City's finest. Where other historic hotels typically have small rooms and baths, these will surprise you in their spaciousness. Though it's puzzling with such large rooms why the current reincarnation failed to set aside any two-bedded rooms, all rooms are one-bedded kings. The hotel offers a very romatic environment and seems to draw professionals and couples rather than families, even on weekends. Appreciated by those who don't care for the 'kids eat free' Holiday Inn type of atmosphere. The Hotel Phillips failures in the past have always been bad management rather than the physical property itself. Let's hope this time around a quality operator is more permanent, for the Phillips deserves nothing less. Great Hotel!
Don't forget to visit the remarkable downtown library two block north and the Union Station a short cab ride south.

The Garden Pretty PrettiesThe Garden Pretty Pretties

Local Food In K.C.Local Food In K.C.

Anthony riding on a Harley model.Anthony riding on a Harley model.

Side view of the architectureSide view of the architecture

Comments