401 Ward Pkwy, Kansas City, Missouri, 64112, United States

Terrible hotel

by TripAdvisor Member alchu

This hotel is supposed to be one of American Expresses
fine hotels.
Well, obviously they haven't visited lately.
The rooms are ragged. We had a room on the concierge
level an upgraded suite, the furniture was tattered falling
apart, the curtains were shredded. Pillows made of rubber.
The help is like they are non committal. The only
thing nice about the hotel area was the concierge level
club room, it is what is left of the Ritz Carlton from before.
I heard complaints from everyone about their rooms
being bad with mold in showers, wall paper hanging
from the walls, etc.
The only redeeming thing for this hotel is it is
located in a great spot across from the Plaza.
I wish I had read the trip advisor before booking.

Better than Ratings

by TripAdvisor Member abqrascal

After reading so many bad reviews I was hesitant to book our rooms there, but was glad I did go ahead. The hotel is older and has some wear issues, but those were more than offset by the excellent service, large rooms and elegant decor. My bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept on. The fluffy duvet and mounds of fluffy pillows reminded me of sleeping in a feather bed. The rooms were surprisingly quiet and we were not bothered by any showers, door slamming or other noises from adjacent rooms. The cheerful staff was most helpful, especially in helping us find directions to out of the way places. I would definitely stay there again.

Stay away!

by TripAdvisor Member BEDSOLE

Oh this place is bad. The hype was tremendous for this century city location and I was not impressed. The room was dirty and noisey. I had to call 4 times to get an iron that wasnt caked with crud. No gift shop. The bathroom was filthy and falling apart. Never again. It's also a very long haul to the airport, FYI.

Good value

by TripAdvisor Member JanetinVancouver

I stayed at the Intercontinental for 1 night. $229 for a king. The hotel has a great location....overlooks the country club plaza. The building is a bit older, but the decor is quite nice. My room was very nice, clean and the king bed was heaven! The staff were all suberb...friendly, mature and elegant. I had a great view overlooking the plaza. I dined at the restaurant and had an amazing steak and salad. Again, good value approx. $65 for wine and dinner.

Can a hotel really be this dirty? Gross, Gross, Gross

by TripAdvisor Member TwoGirlsFromChicago

Dates: Sept 13-16
Rate: $189
Room: Larger, older King on 6th floor
Experience: SCARY
When you arrive at this property, you can definitely appreciate the location which is an easy walk across a bridge to the Plaza. That being said, the hotel doesn't have the market cornered on location as there are other hotels equally blessed by location. As we pulled into the front of the hotel I noticed that the outside of the buildings were worn and the balconies dated. Of course, what should this matter if the inside is clean and well-cared for. Unfortunately, it turns out that the outside IS the nice part of the property. Upon check-in we were met with a disgustingly musty odor at the front desk. As the carpet and walls were filthy, this no doubt played into the uncomfortable aroma that hung over the lobby. Since the hotel is "under renovation", there were many poster boards showing the specifics of the new rooms. Our request for a newly renovated room was meet with the answer that those rooms had no views. Since this was my first time in KC, we went with a view room after assurances that the view rooms while older, were very nice. Arriving at our room on the 6th floor, the view was in fact nice, although nothing really special and the balcony had a VERY dated look that gave me cause to stay off of it. The room itself was larger than your average city hotel room but that is where the positive ends. The furniture was very worn and battered-much like something to be expected in a small town super budget motel. The carpet was dirty to the point that we never took our shoes off which was good since the bathroom floor appeared not to have been cleaned in months. The kicker though was the duvet which had dirt smudges and multiple holes (I kid you not). Our request for a replacement duvet took two phone calls. After sort of unpacking (we were concerned about placing our clothes in the dirty drawers), we headed to the Oak Room restaurant to confirm our reservation for brunch with relatives for Sunday morning. As we walked through the doors of the Oak Room, I looked down and noticed what I thought was just more dirt. However, upon closer review by my partner the dirt was discovered to be a squished cockroach! After we jumped back in disgust, we laughed out loud...the level of disgust of this hotel had now reached the absurd. I mean really now, how many hotel restaurants have dead cockroaches sitting precisely at their entrance. The amazing thing is that this hotel seems to have so many staff running all around and yet everyone seems to miss opportunities to address dirt at every turn. That poor cockroach was probably there for hours. How do I know this? Well, on our last morning when we went out for a jog we came upon areas where someone had thrown up in little piles on the carpet just off the elevator in the lobby. We discovered this at 8:30am and when we checked out at 11, it was still there. When I mentioned this while checking out and asked how something so obvious could go unnoticed for so long I was told "You're probably the first person to say anything" which is a ridiculous statement when you consider that I witnessed a bellman step over it when we came back from our jog. Bottomline on this hotel: Think long and hard about your tolerance for dirt and disgust before booking this property. There is a reason for its poor ranking on TripAdvisor. I wish I had properly considered the negative reviews of others so that I could have saved myself the grief that is this hotel.

Rip Off!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Carpediem8509

PROS:
1. Great view of the plaza & great location
2. Super comfortable bed & pillows
3. Closet included nice bathrobe
4. Bathoom had makeup mirror- very convenient!
5. Very friendly wait staff- the valet brought stuff up to our room that we forgot in the car. The waitress at the bar even brought food up to our room b/c I wasn't feeling well and wanted to go upstairs.

CONS: this place will nickle & dime you
1. No free-wireless!! We paid ~$300/night - I think it's ridiculous there's no internet included- even cheap $49/night motels give you free Wi-Fi.
2. They definitely try to rip you off here. We were here for a business meeting and they charged us $150 for internet hookup in one of the salons for 1 hour (yes, 1 hour!!), $150 for setting up a screen for a projector, and best of all- $350 to hook up a tele-conference phone for 1 hour (no, these are not typos- this is what they wanted to charge us). When we requested the phone, the tech guy was, "Sure, no problem, right away" - completely omitting the fact that it would cost us an arm & a leg.
(We made a big complaint to the manager & got our bill slashed in half, but it was such a hassel!!!)
3. Breakfast: I went down to the Oak Room for breakfast and ordered from the menu. As I was waiting for my food, one of the wait staff told me to help myself to the buffet, so I went up there to get some fruit and a small muffin. The check came & I was charged $15 for eating from the buffet. $15 for 3 pieces of fruit and one small muffin. I guess I should have asked, but I totally felt misled- someone should have told me.

Tip: even if you didn't get breakfast w/ your room, just go up to the front desk and say, "I thought I got breakfast w/ my room." Just demand your breakfast & they'll give you some free coupons. I wish I knew this, b/c I ended paying $35 for so-so breakfast. Just always ask for prices of things- this place will try to suck money out of you.

Good thing a renovation is underway!

by TripAdvisor Member Sparrowe

Stayed two nights in the IC for a conference; group rate was $129 per night. As other reviewers have noted, the location is convenient to the Plaza. The property is undergoing renovations in the rooms and they are about 2/3 of the way. Friendly and efficient check-in service, and the food served our group was better than the usual fare for modestly-priced conference properties.

My room on the 2nd floor had not been renovated; although the bed was comfortable and the linens were nice the room itself was run down. And there were other problems: I (an other guests) were woken up at 2:00 am by the pounding of carpet installers. My key cards didn't work, so I had to go back down to the lobby for replacements. The shower curtain barely reached the top of the tub, so it was easy to spray water all over the bathroom floor. Signage in the parking garage was horrible - no directions to exits when you need them, and no guidelines about how to get to the lobby.

At the group rate some problems can be tolerated. But I sure would be unhappy had I paid over $150/night.

Good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sweetiedahling

I really love the Intercontinental Hotels and try to stay at them when I travel if possible. I have stayed at this location several times.

Location: The location of this hotel is great. It is right on the Country Club Plaza and is in walking distance to alot of great shopping and restaurants and bars. Ladies: make sure to check out Halls Department Store for great upscale and hard to find merchandise.

Service: All of the employees at this location are very helpful and freindly. No problems.

Rooms: The rooms all have balconies. The beds have down comforters and nice soft sheets. I usually get a room with a small living room area, so there is lots of extra room. Decorated okay.

Restaurant/Room Service: I haven't eaten at the restaurant because there are so many great restaurants within walking distance. The bar is wonderful, with a large martini menu and live music, nice crowd. I usually get room service for breakfast...very good.

Pool/gym: The pool is nice, but is quite crowded on a hot day. The gym is on the small side but had never had more than one other person in it when I was there. It has everyting you will need for a good workout.

The only reason I didn't give this hotel an excellent rating is because it is about time for a remodel, there is nothing terribly wrong but it just isn't up to par with other Intercontinentals.

Very Average Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BillF

This is a hotel that is severly understaffed for the occupancy. They are full, but only one person at the desk. One Bellman, no concerage. Rooms are nice, small, modern. There are other options on the Plaza at the Marriott and Sheraton.

Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LeslieOC

The Plaza area was recommended by a friend we were visiting in Springfield.
I had never been to Kansas City and must say I was quite impressed with its upscale shopping, dining and natural beauty. This hotel was a real treasure- very upscale in every way in a great location. We walked everywhere from it- To museums, dinner at the capitol grill,
shopping, etc. Cocktails on the patio overlooking the pool/city was a magical experience, (and it was packed, so everyone else knew it was too!). Our room was huge - The size of a suite in most hotels.
The lobby was gorgeous-All marble, dark wood and fresh flowers-
unbelievable for 99.00 on a saturday night with my AAA discount.

Comments