La Quinta Inns and Suites Kansas city

6901 NW 83rd St, (Formerly Crowne Plaza Somerset Bridgewater), Kansas City, MO 64151, United States
La Quinta Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Kansas City

Construction Update, December 2009Construction Update, December 2009

Skyline of Kansas City rising beyond Union StationSkyline of Kansas City rising beyond Union Station

The neoclassical structure a piece in itself.The neoclassical structure a piece in itself.

Customers lingering around the courtyard centerCustomers lingering around the courtyard center

Good young family neighborhoods near South KC burbs?

by pacificnw1

First, sorry about the cross-posting this question to both KCK and KCMo forums, but I wanted advice about both sides.

My wife, toddlers, and I are thinking about moving back to Kansas City. I grew up in Overland Park, but haven't lived there for almost 20 years now. Ideally, I'm looking for a good middle class income community with new development, young families, and good schools. My parents live in Leawood, but that's too expensive and seems a better fit for older families or retirees (like them).

Can anybody suggest good growth locations that would be within 30 minutes of Leawood? How is Olathe doing now? I hear that Lee's Summit has had a growth boom, too. We're visiting later this summer to look around so any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

by Brick1

Check out Lake of the Forest.

by ReMax66223

Hello, seems your response has been limited. I live in Olathe, my office is in Overland Park. I'm a licensed realtor in both Kansas and Missouri.

Johnson County Kansas is the fastest growing area in the midwest. Overland Park and Leawood have pretty much reached their respective southern boundries. Stanley and Olathe are booming. The major growth path is to the south, 90% of all new construction is south of 135th street (150hwy). Leawood and parts of Overland Park are in the Blue Valley School district. Blue Valley is one of the top school systems in the country, ranking in the top percentile for graduates, ACT/SAT scores, lowest drop-out rates and successful college graduates.

Overland Park is still the cream of the crop for middle income and schools. Newer home prices range from a low of $180,000 up to $500,000+ depending on the particular subdivision. Olathe also has a top notch schools district, new homes are avialable in the same price range depending on amenities. There are some new communities being built in Gardner and Louisburg with 3 bedroom homes from $150,000.

Everything is growing south because it's the only way to go, northern and eastern Johnson County are completely built, the western side is building fast, Desoto is just a few years away from being realistically called "a suburb". Past Desoto is the Douglas county line and Lawrence is a big University town growing in it's own right.

I have newcomer packages for the Blue Valley school district I can mail you if you'ld like. I'll also include some information on demographics and economics statistical data for you. I'd love to help ease your move. Please email me your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Steve Gish
stevegish@remax.net

Re: Re: Good young family neighborhoods near South KC burbs?

by pacificnw1

Thanks for the feedback. We'll probably make a final decision within the next couple months. Steve, I'll hang on to your contact info and get back in touch with you if we do decide to move back. I really appreciate the time and detail you put into your response. Thanks again!

by surfbound

Hello,

I noticed your post and thought I might be able to offer you some advice...I have lived in Lee's Summit for 17 years, it is definitely booming right now. It is a great place to raise a family, great schools, great communities, friendly people, a central location to downtown Kansas City as well as Overland Park, KS.

There seem to be many new housing additions going up everywhere. Hope my advice helps.

Travel Tips for Kansas City

Transamerica Tower

by yooperprof

Downtown Kansas City - inside the freeway loop - has a mix of 1930s art deco buildings and modern office towers from the 1970s and 80s. And maybe there will be another spurt of building sometime soon. New plans are afoot to relocate the world headquarters of H & R Block inside the freeway loop as the anchor of a major redevelopment project. The Transamerica Tower - originally built for AT&T) is my favorite of the newer tall buildings downtown.

People are so nice!

by asturnut

This may seem bizarre to you but...
I come from the east coast where people are generally rude and always in too much of a hurry to even hold the door for you. So I always enjoy the slower pace of things in the midwest and am tickled by how polite everyone is. Well, my fondest memory of Kansas City (or at least one of them) was my first trip to the grocery store. When it came time to check out- the bagger carried my groceries to the car!. I was positively floored!!! We don't even have baggers at my grocery store in NJ. So you can imagine my suprise that a store would bother to supply someone just for this purpose. (I guess you would have to be from Jersey to appreciate how positively astounding this is!)

In the 1930's famous gangster...

by brdwtchr

In the 1930's famous gangster Pretty Boy Floyd was involved in a shoot out that left four law officers dead. It happened out side of Union Station. Not every one knows about that bit of history but you do because you read this page.

Bonner Springs

by BruceDunning

This town is spread out, and mostly a working town environment, with grain processing and hauling being a mainstay. Events close by are its claim to fame. There is Verizon outdoor theater for concerts, and Agricultural Hall of FAme. The town is old and not much preserved structures, but some to see.

75th Street Brewery

by HJ_ about Bars & Taverns

This is a all around great neighborhood place. People bring in their mugs and keep them there lining the walls. They brew their own beer and the food is great. There are local bands that play there alot of nights.

Comments