2345 McGee Street, Kansas City, Missouri, 64108, United States
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

More about Hyatt Regency Crown Center

A Hotel with a History

by Bwana_Brown about Hyatt Regency Crown Center

The meeting venue was at the Hyatt Regency Crown Center, located in the downtown core of Kansas City. This 45 storey 500 foot high building was built in 1980 and still has a very impressive lobby with a nearby elevated area where I had my breakfasts.

In fact, maybe they got a little too fancy with the architecture because, on July 17, 1981, two 180-foot interior skybridges collapsed due to the weight of people enjoying a function at the hotel. The result was 111 dead and 188 injured in one of the deadliest hotel disasters in American history.

That being said, I found the services and room themselves to be first rate. The hotel has a full health club (free weights, exercise cycles, steppers, stair climbers and rowers), an all-weather pool, whirlpool & sauna as well as two lighted tennis courts. If the weather is not cooperating, there is a glass-enclosed walkway to the nearby Crown Center shopping complex as well as Union Station.

Restaurant prices are not cheap and I paid US$119 per night (US$137 with taxes).

Decent Hotel, Decent Location

by TripAdvisor Member Scout1919

I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Crown Center on business numerous times. The staff are very helpful, friendly, and attentive. They are very quick to help out with any need you may have.

The location is very good for people who would like to be close to a shopping center (Crown Center) and near the historic train station and science center. Access to all of these areas is obtained through skywalks that connect one to another, as well as to the hotel.

The rooms are extremely clean as are the bathrooms. The bed is very large and plush, very comfortable. My only complaint about the rooms I have stayed in is the level of background noise that I have heard. You can lie in bed and hear the people in the room above you in the bathroom. Shower noise is also excessive as are flushing toilets. Aside from the noise, the rooms are quite nice.

The gym is nicely equiped but can get very crowded at peak times. The pool is out of doors, but remains open until the temperature reaches 20 degrees F.

There are many different dining options within the hotel (4 including a revolving restaurant on the top floor) but I have not tried them all so cannot comment on them. All in all, a decent hotel, but if background noise bothers you it could pose a problem.

Great bed!! Great Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member LdyMercy

Wow...I loved it here. We stayed at the hotel over Labor Day weekend. We drove in from Denver to see a band playing at the Irish Festival in the Crown Center Plaza. The hotel staff was great.. They warned us about the 13 dollar a night parking fee so we could move our car to the adjacent UMB Bank Building for the weekend. The parking was free there for the weekend. The staff was accomodating and wonderful on all accounts..my one complaint was that the maid didn't refil the mini bar after our first night...but oh well. We ate at the terrace resturant and at the bar..both were very good, but over priced as most hotels are. I cannot rave enough about the bed..it was SO wonderful I didn't want to leave. I have NEVER slept on a more comfortable bed in a hotel in my life. All in all a comfortable wonderful easy stay. I would definately go back again.

A Grand Holiday Getaway!

by TripAdvisor Member ValettaC

This hotel is a wonderful place for a large convention. I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency for 2 Christmases now, as part of a Chinese Christian Retreat group (I'm an American who works in childcare while the parents are in meetings). To my knowledge, the group rates the hotel offers have been quite reasonable, and the level of service has excelled above all of the hotels we've held the retreat in over the past years. (Including several large hotels in Jefferson City, Columbia, and Kansas City). The rooms we use for the children's classes (Empire A & B) are generously sized, well supplied with ice cold drinking water, and in a good location. We had a problem last year with the handwashing sinks in the bathrooms running only scalding hot water, but the staff was quick to fix the problem. Our sleeping room started out with a broken lamp, but that problem, too, was fixed right away. The rooms we use for eating and the rooms the adults use for their meetings are also well-lit, beautifully decorated, and spacious. Last year, we fell in love with another feature as well - the Wi-Fi hotspots the hotel has. Just look for the areas where you see people tapping away on their laptops - the hotspots aren't widely advertised. The television selections are good, staff are friendly, the hotel is beautiful on a grand scale, and the location in downtown in KC affords an awesome view. If you choose to take the elevated walkways, you're only a skip and a hop from the Crown Center, with a downstairs mall that's bustling with excitement and colorful performances during the holiday season. The restaurants there are unique and widely varied. Also near the hotel during the holidays is a very large Christmas tree and oversized ornamental display, at street level. If you are thinking about this hotel for a group gathering or for a family, go for it! You'll have a delightful stay and a lot of headache saved. Perhaps some money, too.

The Hyatt Hotel Chain has much better hotels than this one

We've stayed at this hotel several times (when the Westin next door is not available) and the rooms are your average Holiday Inn, middle of the road accomodations. It is average hotel, with below average customer service. You may/or may not be able to park your car in their garage (the hotel's banquet facilities apparently take precident) the staff is rude and the hotel is very loud on the weekends. On the weekends, you can stay downtown at one of the luxury business hotels and get a far greater bargain... the Hotel Phillips has small, beautifully appointed rooms with and exceptional 24 hour staff. It's no shock that when all the other hotels in town are booked... there is ussualy still room at the Hyatt.... not terrible, just not up to the usual Hyatt standards

Fabulous Staff!

by TripAdvisor Member zephyr011

I was kind of expecting a 3 star hotel at 4 star prices after reading the reviews, but I was happily surprised.
You couldn't ask for a more accomodating hotel staff(when I stay at a "HOTEL" I use the staff). The bellmen were great holding our baggage before and after our check out, even my foam cup for the trip home! ha ha Check-in is at 3:00pm. We were traveling by Amtrak, so we arrived(to a bomb threat in Union Station)at 7:30 am. The hotel was booked solid the night before or we could have check in at 8:30. As it was we got our room by 10:45(we stayed on the 24th floor, but they were going to put us in the 35th floor due to my request for the highest possible floor without a rate change, but it would have been about 30 minutes more and we were tired).
The consierge was wonderful and worked out a bus route to the Harley Davidson plant 22 miles away. Yes, if you read the Harley site they are just north of downtown.ha! A taxi ride there and back is about $70.00 round trip. Because of time or the lack of (they only give tours until 1:00 pm) we had to end up taking a taxi.( A rental car and directions in a strange city doesn't add up to a good time for us.)
The Hyatt's staff did these things and so much more. They brought us more towels(granted they weren't as soft as the one under the sink, but I got the soft one so it didn't matter). If it is important to everyone in the room just ask.
The rooms weren't huge but the beds were wonderful and the pillows were great.
It has a peaceful feel to the place.
The only problem I had with the room was that there was no frig. I eat a little at a time often. I couldn't keep my food fresh which added up to quite a bit of money I would have liked to save.
Skies on top of the hotel is great for dessert or a drink. Very pricey menu.
Great for a weekend trip.
It's also nice that the Westin and the Hyatt share thier services too.

Hyatt Regency Crown CenterHyatt Regency Crown Center