1356 W College St, Marshall, MO 65340
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

More about Marshall

A section of the gardensA section of the gardens

Salince County Courthouse, Facade & WW I MemorialSalince County Courthouse, Facade & WW I Memorial

Saline County CourthouseSaline County Courthouse

Jim the Wonder Dog 1925-1937Jim the Wonder Dog 1925-1937

Travel Tips for Marshall

Van Meter State Park

by RedAngel49

Going north out of Marshall on Highway 41, go a few miles out until you see a sign pointing west saying "Van Meter". A great park. Well cared for and a must see if you are in the area. Lots of camping, places for hiking and a lake for fishing.

Marshall, Missouri

by basstbn

"Let's Stop in Marshall..."

...to see if we can find someplace to get a snack, maybe some ice cream. We were headed toward home from a day trip to Arrow Rock, Missouri, and had not planned on stopping in Marshall. In the end we wish we had more time there. We did find a wonderful place to eat ice cream, but some other interesting sites as well. I hope we can find another opportunity to stop in this small town in mid-Missouri.

Mid-Missouri County Seat

by yooperprof

A classic American County Courthouse - late nineteenth century civic pride. Marshall is the seat of Saline County, and has a population of about 12,000. It has a traditional courthouse square, with a one-way traffic pattern that took a while for me to figure out. I didn't notice anything was wrong until I realized that all the parked cars were (slant-wise) going the other way. Fortunately for me, there was no other traffic on it - in the middle of a Saturday afternoon.

The town of Marshall is named after John Marshall, dominant Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court from 1801 to 1835. Not coincidentally, that was the period which saw Missouri achieve statehood; most placenames in this region date from that era. (Two of the main streets that define the Courthouse Square are Jefferson and LaFayette.)

In Marshall, the Courthouse Square is the focal point of the town, even if it seemed awfully sleepy on a Saturday afternoon. Churches, funeral homes, law offices, restaurants, and tool shops congregate around the square. The buildings are all one or two stories in height, with the single exception of this three story construction on the southeast corner.

My Marshall, Missouri Page

by RedAngel49

"Hometown"

I have lived in this town since 1986 and consider it my hometown now. It's a really nice community. Clean, quiet, and peaceful. The people are basically friendly and easy to get along with. We could use a few more stores (a Super Walmart would be nice) but the commerce isn't bad.

Comments