612 Devil's Pool Road, Ridgedale, Missouri, 65739, United States

Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

• suzer's Profile Photo

Upscale "Dirty Dancing" Resort

Lovely large Adironacks style resort. Perfect for those of us who love the outdoors with perks; reminiscent of Kellermans for those of us who watch too many 80's movies.

This was a last-minute choice after Hurricane Charley cancelled our Florida trip, and we were very pleasantly surprised. Service, room, facilities, grounds were impressive. Would be a good place to take the family.

Unique Quality: Beautiful lake view, 3 pools, mini golf, horseback riding, hiking, tennis, marina, several restuarants, quick shuttle service (it's a big place but you can leave your car parked).

Food was good but not great. This is the Ozarks, after all.

Directions: Highway 65 to MO 86, 30 min. South of Branson.

More about Big Cedar Lodge

Big Cedar Lodge

We had an absolutely wonderful vacation while our kids were at the Kanakuk Camps. We stayed at the Cabins and had such great service we would have done anything to stay. The food was excellent at Worman's and Devil's pool and I could have stayed in Brushy Creek all day long. This resort totally caters to all their guests and makes every effort to make sure everyone is comfortable. We rented a boat twice and had a blast tubing and skiing. The attendants were very helpful and funny. Like every vacation, you will need some cash for the extras, but this is by far one of the nicest vacations I have ever been on and we have been all over the United States. We will definately be back next summer when our kids go to camp, if not before. Thanks Big Cedar, we had a GREAT time.!

Rustic Setting

by suzanka46 about Big Cedar Lodge

Lodge on lake in a secluded woods setting--(log) main lodge and rustic individual cabins.-bed and breakfast pkgs-or individual nights--restaurant in the Big Lodge.honeymoon deals facities for the lake activities-pool-fitness centreromantic setting with the rustic log buildings-bed and breakfasr plan

Lots more than a show town

by Simonneeddy

( See travelogues below as well) Visit the 'Fish Hatchery' and be sure to visit 'Big cedar lodge'. A great place to stay or just have Sunday Brunch. Have breakfast at Big Cedar lodge. Seeing shows at theaters of which there are so many now. All the big artists now have thier own theater here in Branson.

Camping for Yuppies

by TripAdvisor Member dweebe

Big Cedar Lodge is an extremely nice facility. The prices are high but that's reflected in the quality of the grounds and all the detail put into the place. From the waterfalls (most are manmade) to the signs and the lighting nothing is overlooked.

However I couldn't get over the feeling this is the type of place for people who want to go to the country but don't want to deal with anything. Everything just seemed a little too forced and fake. I do appreciate the attention to details and the care that was given by all the staff, but it just seemed too Disneyesque.

Dined a couple of times and various restaurants. During and after college I worked in restuarants and bars so I know what it's like to be on the service side: I tend to be extremely forgiving of any issues. However at the price for staying there and charged at the restaurants there were too many issues. I know the staff was trying, but they just kept coming up short.

Also: most of the beds in the rooms and cabins are full size. Does not work when you're over 6 foot tall. In addition, hot water is a problem in the mornings. Showers before noon are cool to cold.

(Big Cedar Lodge is camping for yuppies. This was reflected by the people and the vehicles they drove. I was waiting one time by the registration building and watched the vehicles drive in. Over a space of 10 minutes I counted 14 SUVs, 6 pickup trucks, 2 cars and 4 motorcycles drive by.)

Do Not Recommend Buying The Wilderness Club Package!

by TripAdvisor Member not2woryluv

If you take the 60 minute Wilderness Tour experience, be sure you know how to say NO, get your $100 and scram. The sales people are slick and keep taking you from one venue to the other. My husband and I got so feed up with their "routine" we finally bought one of the "try me" packages.

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge during the week and it was very nice. The closest restaurants are actually at the Big Cedar Lodge and are fairly pricey, especially for families with children or those on a budget.

The rooms at Wilderness Lodge are extremely nice, but BEWARE of the other vacation "opportunities" in this group. We travel extensively and most of the places they have are dumps. They are unclean, are located in no-man's-land and reminded us of very cheap apartment complexes.

I'd recommend buy only if you want to stay at the Wilderness Lodge at Big Cedar.

Also, they are adding units like crazy. The new units probably won't have a view of Lake Taneycomo so be sure you know what you are getting into.

The one hour presentation lasted more than 3 hours.....we honestly could not get rid of the salesperson. They are persistent and when they realize they can't make a deal with you they get another agent involved. They won't give you the $100 certificate until they darn well feel like it.

As a side note, you can stay at Big Cedar Lodge without being a member of the Wilderness Club. After everything is said and done, you are probably better off not joing the Club, but rather just booking directly for a room or cottage at the Big Cedar.

Beautiful Resort--Would like to have stayed longer!

by TripAdvisor Member 5campes

We stayed at one of the Lakeside Cabins at Big Cedar over Fathers' Day weekend. We are members of the Disney Vacation Club and could exchange some of our points for time there. We stayed for four nights and would have considered staying longer, if not for another vacation planned later this summer. The cabin was beautiful and clean. We had a comfortable porch with a gas grill that we made use of one night. The view was wonderful. The decor of the cabin was rustic (LOTS of taxidermy!), but the amenities were not (full kitchen with a dishwasher, turn down service with a plate of wonderful gingerbread cookies). Although there were cabins on either side of us, they were set back so that from the porch view off the back you could not tell there was anyone next to you. Sitting out in the early morning and midafternoon was very peaceful. The kids (ages 9, 5 and 4) loved this place and are looking forward to going back.

I will note that the Big Cedar Wilderness Club cabins were located near their indoor pool and lazy river complex (Brushy Creek, I think it is called) and we did not like the way that those cabins were crammed in together. Very little privacy and not that great a view compared with the Devil's Pool and Lakeside cabins. We actually enjoyed both the Devil's Pool and Swimming Hole outdoor pools better than the indoor pool. The views from these pools and the comfortable lounges make them superior to the indoor. They were quieter too.

No one hassled us about taking the Wilderness Club tour, probably because they knew we were there on a Disney timeshare. I enjoyed learning about the history of the place. The kids liked the many activities (fishing, poolside movies, mini golf, croquet etc.), most of which were no charge. The poolside meals were fine for a resort--that is, a little pricey and not exactly gourmet, but fine for their intended purpose. The only thing I found disproportionately overpriced was the soft drinks, which were $1.95 for each 12 ounce glass which frequently was loaded with ice.

While the Branson area is one of my LEAST favorite places in the midwest (we have family in the area which is the reason for our occasional trips), you would never know that you are near it while staying in Big Cedar,a big plus for us. If you like Branson, Big Cedar is conveniently close. For a one week stay you have enough dining options on the premises to not have to leave if you don't want to. The scenery at Big Cedar is truly beautiful and most everything seems very well done with an eye for detail--very similar to the more deluxe resorts at Disney World. We were impressed.

We'll be back next year

We loved Big Cedar. Shows off the beauty of the area.

We traveled with two small children (1 and 3) in May, they loved it. In fact, after our 2 night stay, we stayed on the Branson strip. My 3 year old cried for 30 minutes because she thought the other hotel was awful after staying at Big Cedar. We stayed at the standard rooms in valley view. Why stay on the Branson strip when you can stay at Big Cedar (especially in low-peak season)?

Cons:
1) Food is a little pricey, especially for dinner (entrees started around $17 for dinner).
2) playground was built for older kids (5-12). It was not safe for my 3 year old.
3) only one indoor pool (beautiful). Signs posted all over say diapered children are not allowed (indoor only). This policy was not enforced (4 diapered infants swam the evening we were there). I understand the sanitary reasons why this is the policy; however, I thought it was rude not to provide an alternate indoor kiddie pool.

Activities our 3 year old loved
1) pony ride
2) wagon ride and campfire roast
3) mini-golf
4) indoor lincoln log table in lobby
5) scenery (especially waterfalls)

We'll be back next year and hope to make this an annual trip.

What a vacation!

by TripAdvisor Member Darbo

We stayed at James Lodge (part of the Wilderness Club). Had a great time! Went paddle boating and canoeing for free, Rented a pontoon boat and jet skis, and husband fished on Table Rock Lake. I would say it can be expensive though. We went horseback riding elsewhere for $10 cheaper then Big Cedar Stables. We went along Bear Creek and had a much nicer view and trip. Food on the resort was kinda pricey so we went to town and ate where the locals ate. I would highly reccommend the restaurant at the College of the Ozarks (The Keeter Center). White tablecloths, pianist, excelllent gourmet food for a small portion of the price at Devil's Pool restaurant. Our family of 4 ate very well here for under $50 and we were absolutely stuffed! This is all adult sized meals-no kid meals ordered. We recommend this place!

Big Cedar Lodge in late summer

by Travel_Larry

"Come for the scenery, stay for the turtles!"

We vacationed in Ridgedale, Missouri in early September 2004 for a family reunion. Stayed in a huge cabin at Big Cedar Lodge (part of Bass Pro), this place had everything from golfing on a Jack Nicklaus course to the gorgeous scenery of the Ozark Mountains.

Comments