Saint Charles Hotels

Our Members Say

• deecat profile photo deecat
  • Reviews: 2520

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Old Elm Tree Inn: 170 Year Old Elm Tree Grows in The Backyard!

Until I saw the backyard of the Old Elm Tree Inn, I thought it was named after the street that it is on. Martha Kooyumjian, the present owner, named the Bed and Breakfast after that magnificent tree.
See the photograph (click to enlarge). I have the front view and the backyard view.
The home was built in 1904 by an man who was the editor of the St. Charles Banner newspaper. Today, Martha Kooyumjian (who is a native of Saint Charles and who originated and also ran the Winery of the Little Hills Restaurant on Main Street for eleven years) both owns and operates the Old Elm Tree Inn.
It's a Victorian, Queen Ann style and has been restored to its original look. However, it has all the modern conveniences of a first-rate hotel.
Martha has decorated it with Victorian antiques from the turn of the century.
The home has a wrap around Veranda, which is quite lovely.

There are three bedrooms upstairs, all with their own private bathrooms. We stayed in the World's Fair Suite, which is the largest.
The bathroom has a claw-leg tub that is a whirlpool bath!
Martha has done a fantastic job with the renovation. There are four rooms downstairs for guests to use. The large dining room is where a full course breakfast (gourmet) is served. We had 2 Eggs Benedict, several slices of bacon, fresh pineapple slice with strawberries, and a magnificent banana nut cake with real whipped cream. Oh, yes, and delicious coffee or tea. It was too much food for Jill and I as we are not big eaters; however, I managed to eat almost all of it but not two eggs, only one.
Martha has two friendly dogs (Golden Retrievers) who are enclosed off the backporch outside.
This is a no smoking facility (which we certainly appreciated.)
My favorite part was being able to look out and see the magnificent Elm and the beautiful gardens in the backyard. In addition, both Jill and I were very impressed with the owner/operator, Martha Kooyumjian who is quite young, but oh, so capable!

Rates: Between $95.00 and $130.00.
Check-in: 4:00 pm.
BE SURE TO SEE TRAVELOGUE WITH PHOTOS OF INSIDE OF OLD ELM TREE BED AND BREAKFAST

• Opinion of Price: about average