1723 Francis Street, Saint Joseph, Missouri, 64501, United States
Booking.com Travelocity Tingo.com

More about Saint Joseph

The inside of the domeThe inside of the dome

Wonderful display of beauty in architectureWonderful display of beauty in architecture

Francis Browne home-1879Francis Browne home-1879

Display of art piecesDisplay of art pieces

Travel Tips for Saint Joseph

A Wealth of Victorian Mansions

by mrclay2000

The longer you stay in St Joseph the faster you'll realize that Victorian mansions are a dime a dozen. Some have fallen into disrepair and now crown the more rundown neighborhoods, while others have been converted into thriving restaurants or B&Bs. Whether privately-owned as actual residences or crowning hilltops as museums or other offices, St Joseph makes great use of its Victorian architecture.

A Wealth of Victorian Commercial Fronts

by mrclay2000

As in most communities where the past is considered a treasure, St Joseph has converted most of its historical buildings into thriving businesses without transforming the buildings themselves. Between other (and less impressive) structures on Frederick Avenue, even listings on the National Register of Historic Places, are businesses such as the Frederick Inn Steak House & Lounge, an attractive structure with great appeal both inside and out, but better yet when the building is a century old.

American-Gertsch Glass, Inc

by mrclay2000

Historic buildings go through several phases over the centuries, but in St Joseph most still fortunately show something of their origins. On Frederick Avenue (which draws the commuter away from the historic downtown), there are several listings on the National Register of Historic Places. First among these is the Christian Sachau Saloon, also known as American-Gertsch Glass, Inc, with only a faint identifier on its upper outward wall. Today, the building is a perfect example of old commercial structures from the Victorian era.

Miller-Porter-Lacy House

by mrclay2000

This great residence actually rose from humble roots in the early 1880s. At first a simple farmhouse with two stories and single shell, the Millers widened the home into a mansion by 1900. With thirteen rooms and nine chimneys spread over 11,000 square feet, this listing on the National Register of Historic Places is one of many Frederick Avenue homes that crown spacious hilltops with extensive acreage, all of course shaded by towering hardwood trees.

For a city of it's size St. Jo...

by brdwtchr

For a city of it's size St. Jo has a large number of museums. I like museums and I have not had time to go to all of them. I think my sister would think I was rude if I went all the way to St. Jo and spent all my time at museums instead of visiting her. Here is a list of museums I have NOT been to yet. I have NOT been there and I don't normally suggest places I haven't actually been to my self. I just thought they deserved to be mentioned on a page about St. Jo.
Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art is on Frederck Blvd. not far from the Glore Psychiatric Museum. There is also the Knea-Von Black Archives, National Military Heritage Museum (which I drove in front of but was closed), Roubidoux Row Museum, St. Joseph Museum, Twin Spires Religious History Museum (Which I drove past and looks like a big church.), and Buchanan County Courthouse. There are also two theaters and some day I am going to take my wife to 'Lovers Lane Historic Landmark' just to be romantic. You can find out more about these places at www.stjomo.com . In future trips to see my sister I'll update this page as I make time to go to all those spots.

Comments