Brewers House Bed and Breakfast

1829 Lami Street, Saint Louis, Missouri, 63104, United States
Brewers House Bed and Breakfast
Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Saint Louis

Frontal view of the buildingFrontal view of the building

View of fountain and event area Chestnut & 7thView of fountain and event area Chestnut & 7th

Front monument to the CardsFront monument to the Cards

Sterling silver charmSterling silver charm

Cheap (but nice) motel/hotel in St. Louis??

by Betje

I'll be in St. Louis for the Midwest Theatre Audtions Feb 24-26 and since i've never been to St. Louis before I have no idea what hotels will be close to where I have to be. I'm looking for a cheap motel/hotel that's near the Loretto Hilton Theatre Center on Edgar Road or if there are ones that are close to public transportaion that will get me there that's okay too. I'm trying to avoid having to rent a car to get around.
Also if anyone has suggestions on what to see aroud that area since I'll have at least a day of free time that would be great!! Thanks!!!

RE: Cheap (but nice) motel/hotel in St. Louis??

by mccalpin

You might look at the Webster University new student orientation site (http://www.webster.edu/studlife/orientation/parents.html) where it lists a series of hotels "near" the school...sorry, none are closer than 4 miles...I don't know how exhaustive this list is.

I have never taken public transit in St. Louis (I always rent a car), but you might look at http://www.metrostlouis.org/ for the metro system.

Bill

RE: Cheap (but nice) motel/hotel in St. Louis??

by Sunshine64

The Rep is located in an area of town that is not very urban. Due to the University, you may be in luck with buses, but I have to warn you that St. Louis is a car-centric city. I lived there 12 years and rode the bus twice - both times as part of a special event. (I ride the bus in Seattle, however, all the time.)

Of the hotels that are listed on the Rep's web page, my first guess is that The Chase would have the most convenient bus access (and it's a cool place), but I agree with the previous post on checking the metro web site.

by vanderlust

I will finish this post later but the website
will show you the bus routes available. The best route I found for you is the Lindenwood route (#92). I will can find a few hotels/motels along that route. Most will be on Lindbergh Blvd(aka Kirkwood Blvd at that point.) and Watson Rd. (aka Hwy 66)

by vanderlust

The best I could find near a bus route is below. There are other hotels on Kirkwood Rd. but BW is the "newest". I've never stayed at this location so I cannot vouch for the condition of the facility.

Closest to the bus route (3 blocks or so):

Hampton Inn Sunset Hills
1580 S Kirkwood Rd
St Louis, MO
(314) 984-8181

Another bus route that might work out better for you would be the Shrewsbury Express #11X

You didn't mention how you are getting to StL? There is an Amtrak station not far from this location.

by Betje

Wow!!! That def is very helpful!! Thanks soo much I def will look into those.

Travel Tips for Saint Louis

The Blues, Bud & the Blues

by doobrajohn

St. Louis people are friendly and giving. There are a few of us who may take a little longer to get to know than others but we're all pretty much the same.

Go see the Arch, it's much bigger than you can imagine and sits right on the bank of the Mississippi River. Just on the other side of the Eads bridge is Lacledes Landing where you will have a wonderful time exploring, but save this area for your evening entertainment. Stop in at Busch Stadium if you're a baseball fan and maybe even the Bowling Hall of fame which is right across the street.

Go south on Broadway a half mile to the Soulard area for some good old fashion St. Louis blues and cuisine. Another mile south will bring you to the Anheuser Busch Brewery where you can stop in for a quick tour and free samples. Go by the Science Center and get in on one of the Omnimax shows. The Science Center is located in Forest Park where the 1903 Worlds Fair was held, stop in at the Art Museum and the Zoo, both World Class. If you brought your kids find the Magic House and plan to spend about three hours.

All these places are at the top of the list for St. Louis Attractions but (if you have the time) don't stop there, that's only a few of the many places to see. The Blues (professional ice hockey team) play on Market street at the Keil Center. Since you're by the Keil Center, jump a few more blocks west and stop in at Union Station. This was a major train station at the center of the country but now has been converted into unique shopping experience. Radio station K-SHE 95 is located at the station, stop by and say hello to John Uhlet (DJ since 1976) and tell him I sent you.

Like I said I've still only scratched the surface of all the things to do and places to see...If you're feeling adventurous, come down to St. Louis's South County and explore the area where I grew up. You can start with Sieberg's Resturant on Gravios (Grav-oy [as in 'toy'])Road where they're famous for their Shark Steaks.

Meet me in St. Louis There's too many to count but one that seems to stand out a little more than the rest right now anyway is Independence day (July 4th) about three years ago my family and I went down to the river front where the hold Fair St. Louis on that weekend. We found a spot on the grassy hillside under the Arch (among the 100.000+ crowd) laid down a sleeping bag and watched the most fantastic fireworks display I have ever seen. They pull up a couple of barges out in the middle of the Mississippi, line them up even with the Arc and turn loose of about 20 minutes of these elaborate, huge, brilliant bursts of phospherous explosions hundreds of feet in the air while playing synchronized music. Just wonderful, my kids talked about that experience for weeks.

For Breathtaking Mosaics, Visit Cathedral Basilica

by deecat

One very rainly afternoon, Jill and I took the MetroLink to the Forest Park stop, and then we walked to The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis. Even under less than ideal circumstances, it was worth it all.

What a glorious place. The architecture of the exterior is Romanesque with granite walls, two massive towers, and rose windows. The main dome is on an elevated drum that is pierced by Romanesque windows. It's the first roof that I've seen that is covered in brilliant green tiles which can be seen for miles.

The architecture of the inside is of Byzantine tradition. It has soaring domes, soffits, pendentive, arches, and the lunettes are paved with incredible mosaics. The literature indicates that there are "83,000 square feet of mosaic art created by twenty artists and installed over a period of seventy-five years"

These are Italian style mosaic mostly and were installed by either the Gorham Comapny or the Tiffany and Company.

This Cathedral Basilica has the largest mosaic collection in the world, "created by 20 different artists and covering 83,000 square feet." Can you imagine 41.5 MILLION pieces of glass and 7,000 colors. This was started in 1912 and not completed until 1988. It is the reason the Cathedral is designated a Basilica. I thought that the Mosaics of Ravenna, Italy, were great, but this is spectacular.

There is a Cathedral Shop on the west side of the vestibule that is open Mon.-Sunday from noon until 4 :00 pm. The proceeds are used for maintenance of the building. When Jill and I arrived at theCathedral Basilica, Mass was in session, so we visited the Mosaics Museum located on the lower level. I would suggest to everyone to visit this museum FIRST.

It shows the construction of the building and the creation and installation of its mosaics. In addition, the burial crypt of John Cardinal Glennon (he initiated the construction of the Cathedral) is located in this museum.

It is open from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

Bowling? Do you?

by LauraWest

What is bowling? You roll a heavy large ball down a sleek wooden floor, attempting to knock down the pins at the end of your lane. Best done with several rounds of cold beers! You might enjoy it more on a day when the weather is lousy, or you just need an excuse to get off the couch! The balls are included in the fee & you must wear special shoes. Regular shoes will scuff up the shiny floor. You can rent the shoes;bring your own socks!

Bowling is popular in the St. Louis area, for sure. You'll find many places to do it. They call them "bowling alleys." Some Catholic churches have their own alleys & they seem to be open to anyone. But most alleys are businesses. Most are open late into the night.

I don't know the history of bowling, (though St. Louis has a Bowling History Museum across from Busch Stadium) and wonder how many countries share this "sport." Do they play this where you live? People in my country have been bowling for ages. I remember watching it on tv when I was a kid. I must have been pretty bored to find this entertaining! There was an alley near my house, then. I'd go with friends or family. it was good, clean fun. I am not a pro, by any means. But I have bowled & never regretted it!!

If you want me to recommend a place, just email me.

MLB - Cardinals in the World Series

by changeinlatitude

YEAH!!! The St. Louis Cardinals are in the World Series. If you are planning on attending any games in St. Louis, please remember that on just about every major highway in town and in the county has some kind of road construction going on. So, please allow yourself plenty of time to get to our new Busch Stadium.

The websites I have listed below is a great place to go to get some great information.

stlouis

Your best bet? Use the Metro Link. It is a great way to get around town and it is much cheaper then the parking is that is for sure.

GO CARDS!!!! The games are at night game, bring some heavy close to keep you warm. The stadium is right on the river and I mean to tell you, it gets pretty chilly at night.

Laumeier Sculpture Park

by saw50st8

A large, beautiful sculpture park is located within St Louis. Aboiut 15 minutes outside of downtown, Laumeier Sculpture Park has sculptures for everyone. Works shown are by Vito Acconci, Alice Aycock, Mary Miss, Dennis Oppenheim and Robert Stackhouse and many other artists. The grounds are breathtaking -- large grass fields with trees and hiking trails. There is a museum that has changing exhibits and concerts are given in the summer.

Park daily 8 a.m.-dusk. Museum Tues.-Sat. 10-5, Sun. noon-5