Hampton Inn Gateway Arch Downtown

Hampton Inn - St. Louis Downtown at the Gateway Arch
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Centrally Located

We had an overnight stay here in Hampton Inn, Gateway.

Rooms are clean and spacious. Free toiletries in the bathroom too.

From your bedroom window, you can also see the Gateway Arch so it's centrally located.

Unique Quality: Being part of Hilton chain of hotels, we were offered free cookies upon check-in. You can also avail of overflowing tea, coffee and chocolate drink at the lobby.

An Irish pub in the ground floor serve filling appetizers and a wide range of liquors and wines. I ordered corned beef rolls and though they were not as I had expected, they were delicious, filling and most of all moderately-priced.

More about Hampton Inn Gateway Arch Downtown

Great hotel but get dinner first

The price was unbeatable. All of the staff were helpful and friendly. Our room was spotlessly clean and had a refrigerator and a coffeemaker and cable TV. (This was important to us because we got back from sightseeing every evening by about 7 o'clock, exhausted. We're not big on night life.) The hotel's location was perfect, walking distance from all the major sights--and we walked a lot--although the nearest restaurants seemed to be at Laclede's Landing, which was nearby but not close enough when you're starving and too tired to go out walking again. I didn't know about the Italian food delivery until I got back and read about it here, just now. Thank goodness for the snack and sundries shop and the tea and coffee in the lobby. I'd stay at the Hampton again, but next time I'll make sure to get dinner before I plop down for the evening.

Must of got a bad room

by TripAdvisor Member MACUSER7

We stayed here for our a night while on our way to orlando. I read all the reviews about this hotel and they all seemed postive . The hotel was very nice and clean breakfast was good and clean. The room how ever was not so good we were on the 5th floor right next to the ice machine all night people were getting ice very noisy . The room had parts of the celling coming down like there was water damage. I spoke with the front desk and the took care of the night with out a question which was great and if i am passing thru again i will give this hotel another try..

Below average customer service

We arrived at this Hampton Inn around noon hoping to check in a couple of hours early since we were traveling with our 2-year-old. Despite the nearly empty parking lot and a 17-story hotel, they told that we could not check in until 3 pm. They suggested we eat lunch downtown and come back.

We then asked to check our bags instead of leaving everything in the car, but the front desk clerk hesitated and suggested that we park in the parking garage. As we pulled into the garage, we noticed 2 men in Hampton Inn uniforms vacuuming out a minivan that had its passenger side window busted out. Since all of our luggage was still in the SUV in plain sight, we opted to move to the surface lot where the attendant is there until at least until 6pm.

After a "hot" breakfast with no eggs and cold sausage, we stopped by the front desk to ask for more towels and were told they would be right up. 30 minutes later and after another call to the frontdesk, a housekeeper delivered towels, but no washcloths. After having to chase her down the hall to ask for washcloths, she told me to call back down to frontdesk because otherwise she would have to go "all the way down there and come back up."

All in all we had a good trip. The room was clean and the hotel is in a great location for walking to all of the downtown attractions. I was impressed to recieve printout with exact directions to the zoo from the parking lot instead of verbal directions and management was very friendly as we came and went.

this year vs last year

by TripAdvisor Member Happygolucky202

We stayed at this hotel last year and it was perfect. I am not kidding all went really smoothly. This year it was terrible. We asked for an arch view side. Never happened. We stayed for 5 days. Most of those days the room wasn't cleaned until after 5 pm. Loud crowd one night. Plants dead out front. Card wouldn't work to get into parking deck and there is no way to communicate with the front desk without getting out of your car and going inside. Air conditioner leaked first night but was fixed the next. No light bulb in one lamp first night. We are not hard to please and some of this stuff is ticky like the plants out front and the light bulb.
It is very easy to get to the sporting event centers. Easy to get on the interstates. Staff was friendly. But over all something was off. We do the tourist thing seriously. To have someone trying to clean your room at 5 pm when you have been going hard is not cool. The fact that we asked for a night on the arch side and never got it is disappointing. Next time we will stay some where more midtown, the city is very easy to get around. We were blown away by the Zoo as were the kids. City museum is the best. Go on weekend. We went in the afternoon watched the sunset. Drank good beer met nice people. We had to drag the kids out at midnight they are 6 and 8. Science museum was okay not much time really needed. Sculpture park if you want a wife and two kids mad at you. Botanical garden on thursday evening. Buy a bottle of wine and chill. Cardinals game is pricey but worth every cent. Who really cares about the Hampton except I know they can do better because they have. DEP

Best Deal in St. Louis

by TripAdvisor Member SNAFU23

While visiting the St. Louis Arch in June 2006, we decided to book a room at the Hampton Inn, based on reviews I've read on "trip advisor." This hotel is probably the best value for your money based on location and quality.

The location is perfect, it's only a short walk to the Arch, and across the street from Laclede's Landing which offers a wide variaty of restaurants to choose from for your meals. It's also walking distance to the riverfront casino.

The hotel is well maintained, and the staff is excellent. The room is very spacious, with a very comfortable bed, and small refridgerator. The pool/jacuzzi area is very nice, and well maintained. The free hot breakfast was also above par, with a wide variety of food to choose from.

The best part of our stay was the view. We were a little disappointed when we attempted to check in at 1:30pm, but was told our room was not ready. When we came back at 5:30 after visit the Arch, our disappointment quickly turned to joy when we opened our window and saw our unobstructed view of the entire Arch. Incredible view, awesome experience.

We talked to the front desk receptionist about a good resaurant to dine at in Laclede's Landing. She recommended an excellent restaurant, and even gave us a coupon for a free appetizer.

Overall, an incredible hotel experience, and probably one of the best hotel values I've received in a long time. I would highly recommend this location to any of my family/friends, when visiting the St. Louis area.

Hampton Inn, convenient, nice enough!

by TripAdvisor Member crazywith3kids

We just returned from a 4 day stay at the Hampton Inn at the Arch. The price was reasonable, the hotel was located within walking distance of the arch and the downtown attractions, and the hotel itself was clean and attractive. Laclede's Landing is only 1 block away. Parking in the garage was very convenient and reasonable at $10.00 per day. All entrances to the garage and from the garage to the hotel were locked and opened only with a key card. I saw security guards patroling around the hotel, so I felt quite safe here. I found the staff helpful and friendly, especially the breakfast ladies who helped us with recommendations about local attractions. Our room was large and comfortable for our family of five. The refrigerator was roomy enough for the kid's drinks and snacks. Our room and the lobby were very clean. There is a very nice laundry room available on the fifth floor for guests, as well as a small, but nice, game room and fitness room. The large pool overlooks the arch and riverfront. However, the pool was too deep and cold for my children to enjoy. Although it says it is 3'6" at the shallow end, the pool immediately becomes 4'6" and almost 6' and was too deep for the kids to enjoy. My 8 year old was very disappointed. The pool is perfect however, for adults. The jacuzzi is nice. However, again, my kids were disappointed because the lifeguard would not let them use it. This may seem like a small thing, but if you are traveling with kids, the pool becomes all important. Another thing that annoyed the kids was the breakfast. The hot items were geared to more to adult taste. Eggs every day, but no pancakes or waffles. The cold items were plentiful and nice, as were the beverages, but the hot items were very limited. Also, the famous Hampton Inn cookies were available on Wednesday and Thursday, but not Friday or Saturday. Despite these annoyances, I would stay here again. The Hampton Inn was a decent enough hotel with a great location.

Great experience

by TripAdvisor Member austx

I stayed at the Hampton Inn for four nights and had an excellent experience. The hotel is close to attractions, but still quiet. The breakfast buffet was more than sufficient for me and a fridge in the hotel room was a bonus. The management was friendly and housekeeping prompt. I'd definitely stay again.

Loved the Hampton

by TripAdvisor Member stormycat

Just got back from a 3 night stay at the hotel. Check-in was a breeze. Parking was very convenient. Room ready when we arrived at 2:15. The room itself was very clean. Loved the free hot breakfast - very good with lots of choices. Hotel staff was very friendly and informative. It is quite a walk to Busch Stadium but do-able. Hotel 2 blocks from a metro station where you can catch the train. No restaurant, which was a bummer, but saw they were in the process of building one. Nice pool - great view of arch. Overall, a very enjoyable stay for our family of four.

New favorite hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Agelena

The downton St. Louis Hampton in was one of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed in: no unpleasant surprises anywhere. The bathroom was spotless, with blindingly white towels. Carpets were clean, and the whole room smelled fresh.

The Hampton Inn is currently running an ad campaign featuring "bed-heads": people who slept so soundly in Hampton beds that their hair seems to be permanantly in disarray. It seemed silly, until the first night when I sank down into the most comfortable bed I've ever encountered. The firm mattress, fluffy comforter, and the plethora of pillows made for a wonderful night's sleep.

Free hot breakfast every morning, with a selection of HOT TEA (!) along with the coffee. Such a small thing, but an absolute delight to the few people who don't drink coffee. The breakfast room had a couple of counters with stools, in addition to 4-top tables. This was nice for people traveling alone, so 1 person didn't take up an entire table.

This experience has pushed Hampton Inns to the top of my "we need a room, where should we stay" list of hotels.

Comments