La Quinta Inn and Suites St Louis Westport

La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis Westport
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Rated 10% higher but also costs 36% more than other 2.5 star hotels

More about Saint Louis

Main sanctuary with ornate decorMain sanctuary with ornate decor

View of the front of buildingView of the front of building

View of people climbing stairs to get into carsView of people climbing stairs to get into cars

Street vieww of museumStreet vieww of museum

Attraction Questions

by hhawkins

I would like to hear openion on the following attractions we are considering while in St. Louis.

Bissell Mansion Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre

St. Louis Renes. Festival

Pealvy Flea Market (Is there a good one besides this one?)

by vanderlust

I cannot comment on the Bissel Mansion Murder Mystery. I have dined there. The food was good. Prices were more than I would pay for the dining experience.

Pevely Flea Market - hmmm...how can I say this politely. I found it to be a wast of time. Cannot suggest an alternative. I used to frequent the Barnhart Flea market from time to time. It is closed now.

I have only riden MetroLink from Barnes Hospital and Union Station to Busch Stadium. The service was fine, the stations and cars clean enough, security did not seem an issue. The closest station to DeSoto would be Shrewsbury station. It is the end of the line for the new section of the Metro. Below is an URL for MetroLink.
Metro is mainly a single west to east line from Lambert Airport to Downtown to Scott AFB in Illinois. There is a new line from Shrewsbury through Clayton to University city and you can catch the west/east line from there.

by hhawkins

As I look it the Metro map I see all the bus lines as well. If I buy a day pass, I assume it is for the train and bus lines. Are the buses safe? I just do not know the city. and with gas prices I thought the Metro would be a good alternative.

by ocicat

"Is riding the Metro a good thing? Safe? Easy to get around? Where is the closest FREE parking station to DeSoto, MO where we will be staying at out timeshare?"

Parking station for what? DeSoto is quite a piece (30-40 minutes) from St Louis... (I grew up there).

If you are wanting to save gas money, consider visiting in areas. Forest Park will take a full day, the Riverfront a day and so on. It's fairly easy to navigate around.

by hhawkins

I knew it was a jog from St. Louis, but I though we might save in the long run using the Metro. We could park at a FREE Metro station and for like $9, ride all day. If we had to pay for parking twice in the city, it would be more than $9, plus the gas we would use. The day we planned to use it was the day we are doing the Zoo and science center. I know that the Zoo parking alone is $10, not sure about the science center. Then we were going to have dinner at the Hard Rock at union station, again we would have to pay to park? Just a thought.

by ocicat

You can park free on the street at the zoo, tho you might have to look a bit. There is also free parking at the science center and art museum.

by ocicat

"Dinner at the Hard Rock..."

Do consider dining at some of the local owned restaurants while in St Louis.

Over on "The Hill" there are fabulous Italian places, including the award winning "Tony's" (which is rather spendy...but others are great and not budget-busters).

There's quite a few wonderful ethinic places and Clayton area is chock full of good places (one of my favs is "Harvest").

Travel Tips for Saint Louis

History Museum's Lewis & Clark Exhibition

by deecat

Note: This tip was written by Jill and Dee (Mostly Jill)

The new Lewis & Clark Exhibition at the Missouri Historical Museum costs $12.00 and is worth it. This exhibition celebrates 200 years since the Lewis & Clark expedition.

Outside the exhibit, the experience began as a staff member used a fur-covered box to demonstrate the Indians' skill at using materials in their environment, showing the use of buffalo sinew, porcupine guill, a feather, etc. After purchasing tickets, we viewed a video with background information to prepare us for the exhibit itself.

Jill's impressions on the Special Exhibition of Lewis & Clark:
Today's style of interactive material is very evident. Extremely thorough signs at the exhibit are supplemented by material given through earphones like those at the Art Museum which are computer regulated and easily used. Visitors had a choice in the order that they moved through the exhibit; thus, the crowd moved quite smoothly, not crowding at one spot. I was impressed by the quality of the background information given by the curator and other experts. The Historical Society's exhibit had several interactive choices that were fun and challenging such as matching plants with descriptions and scents; playing a game to see how Clark communicated with Indians through many interpreters.

When the visitor successfully matched the order of interpretation, he/she could listen to a message being transmitted in 4 languages (English, French, Shoshone, and Hidatsu). Another game let visitors match fur or paw prints with animals.

The exhibit featured good signs that were visible in the low light. The signs told the owner of each artifact and also indicated which were reproductions. As a worker in a little museum, I was astonished at the artifacts gathered from many sources, including private collectors; though, many came from the Smithsonian and Harvard's Peabody Museum.

I especially liked the thoroughness of attribution. For example, a beautiful tanned hide dress was thought to be Sacajawea's but not authenticated. It would have been tempting to just say that it was hers.

The exhibit was thorough, but very visitor-friendly and understandable by children. I loved it all and have never seen a better presentation, and I am a museum-goer.

ELVIS IS ALIVE MUSEUM! ELVIS...

by Toade

ELVIS IS ALIVE MUSEUM! ELVIS IS ALIVE AND HE LIVES IN WRIGHT MISSOURI!

Folks, I ain't makin' this up -- there actually IS an Elvis Is ALIVE! Museum. And, as a lark, my friend and I went inside. It was probably the cheesiest, funniest place we've ever been in. Eat at Big Boy's in Wright, Missouri. Big Boy's has absolutely nothing to do with the Big Boy chain that can be found around the US. It's a cheap place that serves traditional southern food -- mashed potatoes, freshly-cooked rolls, mustard greens, fried chicken. And, for a price, it's all you can eat!!!

UC - Delmar Loop - Guardian Tiger

by yooperprof

Monumental sculpture guarding the western end of the Delmar Loop. This entire area was developed at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century, and was much influenced by the "City Beautiful" movement.

St. Louis Cardinals Baseball

by cckbp7

The New Busch Stadium opened for the 2006 season. Many people are finding it hard to let go of the old Busch that they grew up with; but the new stadium offers a magnificent view of the Gateway Arch. St. Louisians are very proud of their team and consider themselves some of the country's best baseball fans. A Cardinal game is something that every baseball fan should experience.

Note: Beers cost $8.25 each

Laumeier Sculpture Garden

by bhemak

I'm a sucker for a good sculpture garden and this is one of the best I've seen. It was expecially beuatiful in the cold with the snow. It went from grand and obnoxious to small and scerene surounded by trees and ponds.

You need a car to get here. It is South of I-44 off of Lindburgh. Follow signs from there or look at the website to help you out.

Comments