Red Roof Inn St Louis Westport

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about Saint Louis

Color stands out for gazeboColor stands out for gazebo

View of planetariumView of planetarium

Steel free standing staircase fasented to the wallSteel free standing staircase fasented to the wall

Entry doors to theaterEntry doors to theater

Saint Louis for a weekend, which area of town should I stay?

by sabogg01

My best friend and I are driving down to Saint Louis for a weekend at some point this summer (Only about a 5 hour drive for me) So we will have a car but want to know the best "neighborhood" to make hotel reservations.
Things we are interested in doing are stopping by the Arch for a quick ride to the top, taking a riverboat cruise, visiting the Botanical Gardens, and checking out the Anheuser-Busch Brewery.
On priceline if I bid a price it does not give the hotel listings but the areas to choose from. To have easy access to those activities and to be in a safe neighborhood, where should I stay?
The options are:
St. Louis Airport area
St. Louis South
St. Louis West
Westport

Please forgive me if this has already been answered, I have looked through the pages and did not see it.
Thanks for any help that you can provide!

by Razorback17

Hi.

It's been a few years since I went to St Louis with my late father, but I remember there were plenty of hotels in Downtown. We stayed at the Ramada, which had great views of the Arch and the River (especially during a thunderstorm). The area seemed pretty safe to us.
We didn't pre-book, but used one of those voucher books you can pick up at tourist information offices, truckstops and diners. You can find some real bargains in those, and it's even easier now that you can call ahead by cellphone.
Hope this helps.
Mark.

by LauraWest

Of the areas you list, I like Forest Park-Clayton and Downtown best. Convenient and attractive to be in. Some areas of Downtown are too quiet at night to feel safe walking around, but during the day, no problem. Plus you'll be close to what you want to see & do, too. What you want to do is all downtown, except Botanical Gardens, which is a short drive on Highway 44.

by davecallahan

a short side conversation along the same vein...
we will be visiting St. Louis in June and will be staying across the river in Collinsville or Fairview. What time of day is best to use the bridges into St. louis to see the touristy stuff? are some bridges easyer to use than others?

the reason we are staying on the eastside of the river is that the motel rates were at least 10% cheaper there for us. we will be looking to see the Arch and Grant Zoo and Holocaust Museum and a few other sights... whatever we can fit into two days.

by LauraWest

Sorry, Dave, I'm not the right person to ask, but I guess heavy traffic is the same in most cities. It would end by 9 a.m & start up again around 3 or 5. You could ask at the desk, when you check-in, or in the morning. They could tell you which bridge is the closest for you, too.

by davecallahan

thank you for the suggestions... we'll give it a try unless some other VTer comes in with more info.

Travel Tips for Saint Louis

Stop at Visitor Centers

by luckymantony

If you do anything while traveling do this. Stop at all the visitor centers you can. There are always coupons for hotels, restaurants, events, and they usually have some kind of information on stuff going on while your passing through. You also get free maps. If you have any questions about how to get to places they are usually good at giving great directions and they can tell you what highways to avoid because of construction. We have a lot of that going on here. I love to go to Cardinal baseball games. The way the fans are and the way the players are is fantastic. The food is great but can be a little pricey. Blues games are always fun to go to also. But if you can go to a night game at Busch Stadium it is a great experience, expecially for the little ones.

St. Louis is definitely a...

by Beachdave

St. Louis is definitely a spectator sport town, with professional football, baseball, hockey, and soccer teams. But if you are more of a participator, there are many facilities and locations for sporting opportunities, including, hiking, biking, rollerblading, running, boating, and fishing.

St. Louis is a Farm Belt City

by AKtravelers

Even though St. Louis is one of the USA's oldest and most successful cities, you never forget that you're in the middle of America's great agricultural center. Trains roar by at all hours, often sticking you at rail crossings to count 140 cars with your 8-year-old, carrying farm products to and from the ports. Big companies from St. Louis, such as Monsanto, Purina and even Budweiser, made their fortune due to their proximity to agriculture. Even when St. Louisans describe the history of their baseball team, they see the Cardinals as representing the purity of old country hardball (whereas the Yankees were the city slicker team). As urban as it may seem, the country in St. Louis is just below the surface.

Bush Stadium

by solopes

This is the real heart of downtown. All living beings I saw in downtown Saint Louis were walking to or from Bush Stadium. Even I, knowing absolutely nothing about baseball, hesitated facing the idea of getting myself a ticket to see the Cardinals. And I was "obliged" to buy a Pujol's red shirt to Horacio (he is a Benfica's supporter, so red is his colour).

To balance things, Tito defends my Sporting (green), and... oh my luck, green was the colour of Philadelphia baseball team, so the second shirt...

Bigfoot 4X4

by lashr1999

A good place to visit if you are in the Hazelwood area and a bigfoot fan. You get to see the monster truck and take a picture with it for free. Also go upstairs to look down at the workshop. I am not sure if it is a working workshop because we went just before closing on a weekend noone was inside but truck parts were. Staff are nice. A tip is since this is close to the Lambert airport you may want to stop by after getting off the plane and grab a picture with the truck and then head downtown to the city.

Comments