1100 McMorrow Avenue, Saint Louis, Missouri, 63117, United States
Travelocity ResidenceInn.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Saint Louis

Saint Louis, MissouriSaint Louis, Missouri

WAlkways and mazeWAlkways and maze

Typical 2PM day on Hwy 40; a 30 minute backupTypical 2PM day on Hwy 40; a 30 minute backup

Going under the bridgeGoing under the bridge

Need Missouri info

by irvbur

We are long retired, fairly well-travelled, and are finally ready to take our long-delayed tour of the parts of the U.S. we've never visited. Part of our 8000 mile, 5-6 week trip will take us from St. Louis to Kansas City. I'm familiar with VT tips as I have read & written many over the years, but I still need help in discovering interesting stops in and between these 2 cities. You can check my homepage for our preferences and/or check our posting in the United States forum for our preliminary itinerary. We will be traveling the southernmost states forst.

by lostsooner55

I have tons of links as I get the St. Louis and KC papers almost every Sunday. I haven't really organized them yet though. Here are a few: www.hermannmo.info, (Hermann is an interesting town which sits on the Missouri River, about 60 miles west of St. Louis, and about 25 miles south of I-70). Missouri Theatre, Columbia: www.motheatre.org, Jesse Hall, University of Missouri Campus, Columbia: www.concertseries.org. There are several small museums on the UM campus, but I will have to check to see if they are open at the moment. Agood link for Kansas City: www.kansascity.com/living/travel. Let me know if any of these are close to what you are looking for. Like I said, there are a lot more. Gary

A good link for St. Louis Architecture: www.builtstlouis.net. Gary

by lostsooner55

Two KC sites: (1) www.aiakc.org/architecture_art_guide.asp, (2) www.kclibrary.org/guides/localhistory/index.cfm?article=read&articleID=140. Gary

by NaughtyArty

I highly recommend the St. Louis Zoo. It is better than any other zoo I've been to (including San Diego & the National Zoo), and best of all it is FREE. Parking isn't too expensive, or you can find a free spot in the park and walk a little more.

I'd also recommend Laumeier Sculpture Park, in Southwest St. Louis County, and the St. Louis History Museum in Forest Park. If you like antiqueing and bed & breakfasts, try Kimmswick a little south of St. Louis. If you are here during baseball season, try to get tickets to a Cardinals game. The new stadium is great, and provides a wonderful game experience.

For dining, try the Soulard area, the Hill area for Italian, or the University City (U-City) Loop for more ecclectic dining. Blueberry Hill is a neat place to visit, and you might even see Chuck Berry perform there!

Travel Tips for Saint Louis

Six Flags (Sucks)

by teemroper

Saint Louis is great. The shopping, the people, The Cardinals are on a ROLL.

Six Flags on the other hand you pay big dollars to get in ($35+) and then they want to charge yo ufor extra rides. I don't mind paying for the electronic wrist watch deal that hold syour place in line (great idea) but half the thrill ride yo uhave to pay extra to get on. The big rides are all inclusive but if it isn't the Rollcoasters or the Farris Whell, be prepaired to shell out more dough. JKR

Private Train at Union Station

by deecat

NOTE; How sad, but I just learned today, September 4, 2008, that this tour is no longer available because the train was sold in 2006.

While Jill and I were going back and forth to our hotel, The Hyatt Regency at Union Station, we noticed a beautiful green train on the tracks.

Now, that was rather curious since the Union Station has been closed as a railroad terminal since 1978. We looked into this mystery and discovered that the green train is a private train that is used for dinner cruises and private events.

Rail Cruise America offers romantic dinner cruises most Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings. Each dinner cruise lasts two to three hours. It is advertised as an "elegant dining experience."

he executive chef, Michael Slay, says that he makes sure the meal is a memorable one.
If you decide to take a Rail Cruise through RailCruise America, you will be seated in one of the luxuriously appointed rail cars that feature "rich mahogany, black walnut, polished brass, and hunter green and gold accents." This Rail Cruise is noted for its impeccable service and exquisite cuisine.

The train departs from St. Louis Union Station, but the literature does not say what the destination will be. How exciting it would be to be able to afford to book a longer excursion for a private event such as an anniversary party, retirement party, or birthday party.

For prices, reservations, and more information, see the telephone number and website listed below:

Telephone: (314)231-9500
Website: www.railcruiseamerica.com
Address: #400 Union Station, St. Louis, MO

This certainly represents a one-of-a-kind dining experience.

Downtown St. Louis - This is...

by bokononist

Downtown St. Louis - This is the historic Eads bridge right by the arch, next to Laclede's Landing (see nightlife). I love this bridge - it's so beautiful and old. The whole downtown area I think is really beautiful, if old and bit rundown. Since I was born and raised there, some of my best memories are from Cardinals games at Busch Stadium (and don't you dare talk smack about that fabulous place). Right across from the arch and teeming with the loyalist of fans, Busch Stadium is terrific. Go Cards!!!!

Watch The Blues

by Sunshine64

While you can watch the blues being played by musicians in several bars in St. Louis, to see the Blues play hockey you have to go to Scottrade Center (which used to be called the Savvis center, and was called something else before that.). It's downtown, and has it's own Metrolink stop.

The Infant of Prague

by dlandt

The reaon I list this as an off the beaten path tip, even though it is in the Cathedral of Saint Louis, is that if you don't know the story of the Infant of Prague, this will have little interest to you whatsoever. If you do know the story and would like to see the figurine, it's in the back. The cathedral itself I didn't think was all that special or even all that old, but it is next to the arch if you wanted to go.

Comments