26 North Meramec Avenue, Saint Louis, Missouri, 63105, United States
Priceline.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Seven Gables Inn

Inconsiderate, deceitful Management

by TripAdvisor Member gchilders

I booked my stay 3 weeks in advance of my stay. On the day of my arrival I was told my their General Manager Stacey Wallace that they did not have a room for me. They ended up transferring me to downtown St. Louis which was completely out of my way. Stacey then told me that they had contacted Priceline prior to my arrival to let me know that they were full. She informed me that my stay would be refunded in full. I contacted Priceline and they had no record of the information. As of this postingl I have not been refunded my money. I am a frequent business traveler to St. Louis and this was totally unprofessional and inconsiderate. I would advise you stay elsewhere in Clayton.

7 Gables: rip off, third rate

by TripAdvisor Member Traveler98765432123

Air conditioning did not work. Keys worked for only a day and had to be reset. Our daughter was given a key to a room with guests in it. We could hear people tromping through the halls at night (no sound-proofing). And, worst, we had made a two night reservation earlier and cancelled due to illness. I called the day before and was told they would have to charge us. I said I thought it was reasonable to charge us for one night. However, when the credit card bill came they charged us for BOTH nights. Had I known they would rip us off for two nights, I never would have made reservations for our delayed trip at this hotel. I would never return to this hotel and I urge you to beware.

overbooked, reservations not honored

by TripAdvisor Member stoneaudio

Booked reservations via Seven Gables website, with their help on phone. Arrived and told they don't have a room for our party (2 adults, 1 child), can't provide a roll-out or cot for child. This a 11;30 pm after driving 12 hours . We had booked 1 room for 4 days and 2 for 2 days. These folks were completely unhelpful. Others said it before me, lousy reservation system. Don't plan on staying here!! I sure wish I had seen this review page before trusting these irresponsible dolts. Call Stacey the manager ([--]) and ask if they treat people this way often, she told me that a reservation does NOT mean you can count on a room!!!!!!!!

Great Stay at the 7 Gables

by TripAdvisor Member nbakerEvanston

I traveled to St. Louis with my son to check out Washington University. What a great hotel. It's been updated and is in tip-top condition. Nice, clean decor, very professional staff, wonderful (delicious) breakfast that is included in the price of your room. Great Aveda products, robe and excellent sheets in the room. Bath/toilet area is a bit small, but it opens into a large dressing area. My room faced a charming courtyard with spring trees in full bloom. Downtown Clayton is great and only 3 miles to campus. I wandered around for 30 minutes before an appointment and found an antique watch shop, an art gallery, and a fully-functioning soda fountain (get the Lime Ricky). For dinner, I tried the Tapas restaurant around the corner (the hotel made my dinner reservation) and it was very good. Well, my son decided to attend Wash U, so I'll be returning to the 7 Gables many, many times over the next four years and I'm looking forward to it.

Mother of the bride

by TripAdvisor Member MAMADenver

User Rating: 2 out of 5 stars
by MOTHER OF THE BRIDE
06/19/2008
We recently had a wedding in St. Louis and reserved many rooms for our guests and ourselves.
The rooms are lovely and charming but the experience was a disaster. The management was incompetent and three of our guests and their families, who had confirmed reservations, were left without rooms.
We were there 5 nights and never had our room or bathroom cleaned once, we had to ask for clean towels and our toiletries were never refilled. We also found that some personal items were missing from our rooms before we left. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone..... The management will have many excuses as that is what I heard the whole time I was trying to resolve all the problems.

A perfect hotel to experience bad management

by TripAdvisor Member midorismall

The hotel had a good reputation about 20 years ago. It was a good hotel. Their rooms used to nice. When I read negative reviews on this site, I thought angry customers wrote bad reviews. However, I hate to tell you that the rooms require lots of work. Curtains are torn apart. Light fixtures need attentions. A vacuum cleaner is left on the whole way all times. Tiles and carpets are very dirty and old. Rooms looked dirty, although the hotel looks very nice from outside.

Like other comments, it is not even wroth to pay whatever an amount they ask you. I guess this is a good example of how bad management can destroy a good business in a long term: a good location and atmosphere but rooms are too old and dirty to feel comfortable. I wish I took those negative comments seriously and stayed at a different hotel.

Just Okay

by TripAdvisor Member TravelingFr0mChicag0

We stayed 3 nights at the Seven Gables Inn during July 2008. The hotel is very clean in the heart of Clayton. The employees are friendly and there is a complimentary wine & cheese happy hour. There are some negatives... First, we were unaware that parking is $17 per night as it is not published on the web site or mentioned during reservations. Second, the free wireless internet is pathetic as it is extremely slow and constantly loses a connection. (We stay in a lot of hotels on business and this by far was our worst experience with wireless internet.) Lastly, the breakfast is just okay with cheerios, corn flakes, stale pastries, and greasy egg souffles. Would we stay here again? I would first consider other options in Clayton on our next visit before booking at the Seven Gables Inn again.

Needs a full-time, professional manager on site

by TripAdvisor Member TiaKiki

The building is lovely, although there is no elevator and the stairs are a challenge if you have serious luggage or joint problems. (Valets are willing to help if they aren't already busy.) The staff is generally eager to help but everyone needs training. I too had problems with a reservation, but the young woman at reception (a) acted as if I were bothering her and (b) saw no reason to apologize or help us manage with the difficulties involved because they had lost our reservation.

The AC in the common rooms was still not working well, the internet connection was unstable, the restaurant appears to be undergoing renovations, housekeeping is still iffy, and there are several small design flaws in the rooms that a well-trained manager could easily identify and fix, if only after staying a night or two him/herself.

With the one exception, the staff is eager to please. I blame the management.

Fantastic Stay at the Seven Gables

by TripAdvisor Member TNtraveler49

The Seven Gables is the perfect little quaint hotel in the heart of downtown Clayton. The rooms were extremely comfortable and the complimentary breakfast was a great bonus!!! The Seven Gables Inn will definately be my hotel of choice when in the area and I will reccomend it to anyone coming to the area!

Unreliable

by TripAdvisor Member casey1834

Would never stay there again...we booked 2 months in advance and got there and they couldn't find our reservation, then by a miracle found it but told us that the AC was broken in the room and they didn't have a place for us. Don't think there was any question they were overbooked and tried to send us to a downtown hotel....out of our way and some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced. We have a number of friends that stay here on occasion, and our entire group is now officially ex-customers of this ridiculous place.

Comments