Wyndham Roberts Mayfair - A Historic Hotel Saint Louis

806 Saint Charles St, (formerly The Mayfair), Saint Louis, Missouri, 63101, United States

The Magnolia Hotel
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

• WBeall's Profile Photo

Historic and in a great location

My Mother and I decided to take a trip to Saint Louis for the night. She booked us a room with a special called Girls night out which was suppose to include Wine, cheese and crackers. When we arrived to the hotel they gave us are room right away and did not bring us our wine till late in the evening and NEVER brought us our food. :( We wanted to walk the city so we gave up and headed off towards the casino. The Room was nice but the bathroom door would not close and there were a few things that showed its age. When my mom was checking out the front desk lady asked how the room was and my mom explained all the problems and told her we never got our cheese and crackers. (Not complaining but just letting them know) A Couple weeks down the road my mom got an email with a complementary stay at that hotel for the trouble. Way to go Wyndham!

Unique Quality: The room was a two part room, one had the beds and bathroom and then there were two french doors leading into a living area! The room was very large and very comfortable!

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Nice hotel

Mayfair Wyndham was a great place. My room had 2 rooms--one with 2 big comfortable beds and another with a couch and chair. Both rooms had big tvs on the wall. Bathroom had a heater in it you could turn on when you were taking a shower. All the usual stuff you would want in the room.

Location was right downtown, kinda dead after 8pm or so, but that was ok. Coouple blocks from subway line, 1 from football stadium, 5 or so from the baseball field, 4 from arch.

I got it over priceline and with tax it came to $71.

• Really Great Place to Stay in Downtown St. Louie

I've stayed at this place several times and highly recommend it. Its a really good value. You just need to know what you're getting into. This is a very old, historic hotel. It has been well maintained and is clean and nice. But it will strike you as being very old. My first impression of my room was that I had walked onto the set of a Doris Day movie. But when I realized that all the "old" furniture was actually new furniture that was just intended to appear as if it were from an earlier time period, I had a whole new appreciation for the hotel.

The rooms (suites actually) are all huge. There is a separate living room area with a full size sofa, coffee table, and a few miscellaneous chairs, a desk and bar, that is separated from the bedroom and bathroom by two large doors. Its nice that you can actually have visitors to your room without them being able to see into the bedroom area etc.

Room service is awesome and the food is good. I've stayed in this hotel for both business and pleasure and doubt that I'll stay anywhere else in St. Louis in the future.

Unique Quality: I know there is a swimming pool on the roof. In fact, it is my understanding that this was the first hotel west of the Mississippi river to have such a rooftop pool. Likewise, this was the first hotel west of the Mississippi to have a 5 star rated restaurant and to have air conditioning. Thats my understanding anyway.

Ellenore Roosevelt, Cary Grant, Hary Truman, all stayed here.

Fairly short walk to the St. Louis Arch and only a few tram stops from Union Station.

Directions: Downtown

• Classic

The Mayfair was a little hard to find....it's down town on 8th Street and St. Charles Road. Once we got there it was worth the extra 10 minutes it took to find it.

Unique Quality: It's very classic.....has a great elegance to it. The rooms are nice, very roomy. The only negative thing I'd say are that the pillows are small and not firm.

Directions: Down Town

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Great accommodations in historic St. Louis!

The Mayfair is a fabulous hotel in downtown St. Louis. Like all Wyndham hotels, it offers 3 to 4 star quality at a 2 to 3 star price.

If you haven't yet signed up for Wyndham's "ByRequest" program then you really should. It's absolutely free but gives you so many perks:
    - Free local and long distance calls
    - Free high-speed Internet
    - Speedy check-in
    - Often free snacks

Unique Quality: The Mayfair has a rich history and has entertained many celebrities. While the rooms are completely modern the ambience is definitely of a bygone era.

Directions: Exit 40A off of I-64 West
    Head straight down 9th Street (North)
    The hotel will be on the right at St. Charles but it's a one-way street in the opposite direction so you'll have to go one block further in order to pull up in front of the hotel.

More about Wyndham Roberts Mayfair - A Historic Hotel Saint Louis

Would never stay again!

by TripAdvisor Member royt5

I got this hotel thru Hot Wire stating that it was a 3 star hotel. I don't see how this hotel rated that high. The price that I got from Hot Wire was $49 a night for 3 nights. There were 2 adults and 1 eight year old boy in the party, and the reservation was that way. When I got to the hotel, the desk clerk said that there was supposed to be 2 adults and 1 child but that when Hot Wire reserved something through them, that they only gave a room with one queen size bed. After arguing with her for awhile, I went ahead and upgraded for $20 more a night. A total of $68 more over the three night stay. (including taxes). Hotwire is supposed to re-imburse me for the upgrade charge when I get my credit card bill, but that remains to be seen. Also, after the reservations were made and paid for, I found out that there was only Valet parking at this hotel that costs $25 daily, which is outrageous. I also found that the lot where the cars were parked were 4 blocks away. I solved this problem by staying at a Central Parking lot that was located right behind the hotel at 8th. and Locust Streets. Overnite parking was $10 nightly. One other problem that we encountered at the hotel was the fact that we only had 1 wash cloth when we checked in and made do for that night. When I was leaving the next morning, I informed the maid of the fact and asked for a couple more wash cloths, and she informed me that the hotel didn't have any more. I had one wash cloth the 2nd. night, and was left 2 wash cloths on the third night and an extra hand towel. Another small problem was that there was not a waste basket in the bathroom. There was one small basket in the bedroom that we moved to the bathroom. There was also no clock in the room, so if you stay there, take a travel alarm. We did order a wake up call, but it was always a little later than we requested, and one morning, it rang three times. The hotel was relatively clean, except for the carpets in our room. There were pretty bad. I would never stay in the Roberts Mayfair again. There was just to many things that made the stay a problem. Hope this helps some others when they are going to St Louis. I would not go for Hot Wire for a downtown hotel. This may be what you get.

Poor insulation, grungy room, won't be back

I stayed there for a wedding (during high wedding/graduation season) and hoped to retreat there for some much needed rest. I normally never complain at a hotel and noise but I did this time. I tried to sleep off the persistent noise from what sounded like a party above until 2:45am and I had to call the front desk. They were polite about it and sent security up. Noise finally stopped by 3:30am. After a few hours of peace I woke up to hearing the cleaning and hotel staff talking loudly and being inconsiderate/unprofessional in the hall. The queen bed room was dingy and the whole room felt rather icky (to put it technically). It was relatively clean but the blankets had stains on them, there wasn't much hot water, and the pillows were gross and old. If you stay here I hope you got a good deal. Also park in the lot next door to save an excess of $20 per day on parking.

Wedding reception: Excellent room/food but rude staff!

After researching various venues, we chose this for my daughter's wedding reception. We loved the European style and the historical feel of the main ballroom. All went well until the last two weeks. They were slow in getting us the floor plan/table arrangement we had agreed on and then it was not what we discussed. Took awhile to correct.

They offered us the use of their Rolls Royce for the trip to the wedding site without mentioning it did not have air conditioning. We learned that a few days before the wedding. Had to scramble for alternative transportation.

The day of the wedding there was an alleged misunderstanding over who was to set up the reception - their wedding coordinator or our wedding planner. The wedding was scheduled for 3:30 and I discovered the problem at 12:30 pm.

The banquet director (supposedly a substitute one) refused to set up the room because he did not like the floor plan that their wedding coordinator had worked out with the bride. He basically said it was his way or no way. When I left for the ceremony at 2:30 it was still only tablecloths. He insulted us, our decorations (rose petals, rose centerpieces with Swarovski crystals, table runners in the wedding colors (lilac), silver candelabras, etc) and made us feel that we were not good enough for his hotel.

Two hours I listened to his continuous ranting and raving. When I left, he informed the staff they were only allowed to put the mirrors on the tables and nothing else. When I got back, it was set up but he had made some changes in the floor plan and placed the gift table right at the front door where the bride specifically did not want it. His comment was that he just liked it there better. Our wedding planner and I moved it where it was supposed to be.

I had to move the bride's things from her room to the bridal suite and I overheard the wedding coordinator gossiping about it in the lobby with the front desk staff and calling me a "B". All I did was insist the room be arranged according to the floor plan they gave us, unless there was a safety or logistical reason for the change. And that we be allowed to provide our own centerpieces as indicated on that same floor plan.

Two guests, both wedding professionals, had to miss the wedding so they could set up the reception on their own. The food was excellent and the guests were impressed, but the coordinator and banquet manager ruined it for me.

Not fully knowing what was happening to her reception, the bride only saw "Mom's meltdown." She apparently became upset and started hyperventilating. Only afterwards did some of the guests or wedding party tell her what had happened. She was furious!

Nice Historical Hotel with good space

by TripAdvisor Member jstark

I stayed there with a friend and was concerned because of the reviews I read. However, I was very pleased with the hotel, room, bath, hallways, elevators, free shuttle service, workout room. My girlfriend and I are kindy picky and we thought the bath area was very nicely updated. Also we had a double room suite and it gave us tons of space. If you don't like older/historic buildings and prefer modern sleek hotels, then this isn't the place for you. It has been renovated with modern amentities but has the historical touches that make it a beatiful hotel if you appreciate those things. The pictures on the websites are accurate.

Not a business traveler's hotel

1) Wayport wireless was up and down all day, for a cost of $9.95/day. There were a few open wireless networks that were much more reliable, but signal strenth on 11th floor was sketchy.
2) None of the soda machines in the hotel were accepting dollar bills...tried 3 different floors.
3) Peeling wallpaper in halls.
4) Only valet parking available for $25/day ! Hotel is in a pretty scary part of downtown, so onstreet or lot was not an option.
5) No food after 10pm, and there's nothing to walk to within 500 yards that late.
6) Painful TV menu...can't just go from channel to channel...have to go through the "upselling" menu to go from Fox to ABC to NBC, etc.
7) TV covers most of the tiny little desk, and nice Aeron chair won't fit under the desk with you in it.
8) Was $94/night from Expedia in early August.

Great Value

by TripAdvisor Member AA-Platinum

I had no idea what to expect when I booked (I had hopes, based on other Wyndham experiences). What I found way exeeded my wildest hopes. I got a King Suite for $79/night. It was clean, spacious, and very comfortable. If I ever was forced to go to St. Louis again, I would stay at this hotel in a second.

I would caution people that the bath tub is tiny, so for those for whom this is important, you have been warned. Also, the guest prior to me had set the radio alarm for 5:30am (no idea why, when you could leave a wake-up call through the hotel). Thus, I too, got woken up at 5:30am.

Comments