Laurel Brooke Farm

22520 Hwy. M, Weston, Missouri, 64098, United States

More about Weston

Kristin and I at O'Malley's.Kristin and I at O'Malley's.

Me outside of O'Malley'sMe outside of O'Malley's

Lemon Tree B & B at ChristmasLemon Tree B & B at Christmas

Downtown Weston with Christmas LightsDowntown Weston with Christmas Lights

Travel Tips for Weston

Celtic and Folk Music

by basstbn

Weston has a tradition of presenting live music, and is the site of several music festivals during the year. Celtic is the main draw, but there are also opportunities to hear bluegrass, country, folk, blues, and r&b.

Here I would like to put in a plug for my favorite singer - Connie Dover, long associated with the town of Weston as resident and performer. Most of Connie's carefully researched repertoire consists of Celtic music, and American folk music with Celtic roots. Her voice is pure, sweet, and unaffected -never over the edge. Check out her CDs.

For more information regarding music in Weston, go to my nightlife tips - O'Malley's Pub.

Lewis and Clark Camp Site

by basstbn

As mentioned in my Weston intro page, the Lewis and Clark expedition camped at the Missouri landing at the site of present-day Westport. Only a sign in the parking lot of the train depot/city hall commemorates the spot now, as the expedition left behind no traces of their brief stay.

The sign reads "The Lewis and Clark Expedition camped in this area July 2, 1804 opposite the head of Bear Medicine Island (Later Kickapoo Island) and replaced a broken mast with a cut cottonwood [tree]. They noted across the river remains of the old French fort Cavagnolle in the rear of the first Kansa Indian village."

Weston Charm

by JEH15343

"Revisiting History"

When we first got to Weston, we visited the Holy Trinity Catholic Church, which is a very old Catholic church. It was built in the early 1900's. The church is open and you can go inside and visit it's small, but beautfiul seating area.

"Satisfying an Appetite"

After revisiting history, Kristin and I headed to O'Malley's Irish Pub. There we ate Irish food, drank Irish beer, and relaxed a bit before heading out.

"Shop till you drop"

After eating, we promptly headed to Main Street and did some shopping. Though I was done with my Christmas shopping already, I managed to buy some things for myself....Kristin got alcohol...weird, I know!
Beware: While shopping at Christmas you never know who's watching you!!!

On the Missouri River

by Maria250

"More than a magically side trip"

Weston was founded in 1837 and was for many years the most important town in the U.S. west of St. Louis. Weston, a city of a population of about 1.700. It has Antiques shops, common stores, nice restaurants and a beautiful historic sight. "The prosperity that attended these early years has never left the city. It's a solid and wealthy old town. Every hour in the day, every change of light and shadow, only adds a new charm to the already enchanting view..it's though best appreciated when the city is seen under the storm clouds, or by the light of the moon as it rises over the eastern highlands".
-Jo Dill, Jr.

"Octoberfest"

In October Weston celebrates the German and Irish families that made Weston home in the 1800s. "Weston's early settlers were the basic stock and were hard working people with a sense of value".
A great companion who made my travel truly special leaded us to this brewery. It was started in 1840s by a German immigrant, and closed during Prohibition. This Pub encluds a small stage where balladeers sing Irish songs and "bawdy limericks".

If you care to offer appreciation
please pray for the men and women
who have served and are serving currently.

THE FINAL INSPECTION

The soldier stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."
-unknown

Weston, Missouri

by Davidp1952

Weston is located just outside of Kansas City, Missouri. It is a mid-nineteenth century Missouri River port community that was larger than Kansas City and St Joseph in the mid-1800s. A major portion of the town is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Additional pictures are in the travelogue

Comments