Comfort Inn Helena

Montana Capitol Building, HelenaMontana Capitol Building, Helena

Montana Capitol Building, HelenaMontana Capitol Building, Helena

Need your help in Montana

by irvbur

We are long retired, fairly well-travelled, and are finally ready to take our long-delayed tour of the parts of the U.S. we've never visited. Part of our 8000 mile, 5-6 week trip will take us from Calgary, Canada to Yellowstone NP driving through Montana. I'm familiar with VT tips as I have read & written many over the years, but I still need help in discovering interesting stops in and between these 2 cities. You can check my homepage for our preferences and/or check our posting in the United States forum for our preliminary itinerary. We will be traveling the southernmost states first.

by montanabob

Glancing at your other posts you may have an opportunity to travel through British Columbia. One of my favorite areas is around Nakusp and Kaslo in Central BC – pristine finger lakes with mountain views, hiking, swimming, camping, nice drives and good people. Plus it’s not too crowded and a good place to sit back and relax for a day or two.

In Montana there are some sites I enjoy that are not primary destinations. In Great Falls there is a nice museum and interruptive center on the Lewis and Clark journey plus a good western art museum. Another place is the former territorial State Capital, Virginia City and area ghost towns. Close by is the town of Ennis, well known for trout fishing and a nice place to stay with some good restaurants. From there you can head toward West Yellowstone passing by Hepgin Lake, a result of a 1950s earthquake.

A few Towns/sites to research – Helena, Butte, Deer Lodge, Big Horn Battle Field, Lewis and Clark Caverns, Gate of the Mountains.

One of my favorite things – drive into mountains at night (away from traffic), turn off the lights, lie on the hood of your car and watch the stars for awhile. Take a blanket, it will be cool. Ask a local for a good place.

Bob

by Camping_Girl

Be sure to spend a few days in Glacier National Park, while in Montana.

by yellowstoner

You may want to consider traveling US287. I live in Loveland, Colorado and travel to my second home in Livingston, Montana. 287 is a slower road but if time isn't a factor it takeas you diagonally through great country. You go through towns like Ft. Collins, Colorado,Laramie, Wyoming up through back country Wyoming to Jackson and Teton National Park. It eventually goes through yellowstone and hooks up with I90. Plenty more route than that but you have options. Lots of small towns on the way and plenty of open space.

Travel Tips for Helena

Helena has so many things to...

by Sammi59601

Helena has so many things to offer the tourist! You can go only a few miles out of town for water-skiiing, snowskiing, boating, hiking, camping, etc., in some of the most beautiful country in the world! We have a cultural community of many artists, museums, historical landmarks, and so much more! Built along Helena's historic 'Last Chance Gulch', Helena evolved from the gold-mining days, and therefore has many of the original 'crooked, winding streets'. We are a beautiful little city set against the side of the Rocky Mountain front, and you have plenty to see in Helena and the Big Sky Country of Montana!

High, high, UP in the sky ...

by AaronHumes

My quaint cabin home east of Helena is one of my top two favorites. It's so beautiful ... the sky, the Montana type "blues", the quiet ....

It's very cozy and romantic...

Don't drink and drive there.

Drink by your cabin's fireplace with someone you care about.

Helena at the Foot of the Rockies

by mrclay2000

"Big Sky Capitol City"

The state capitol buildings in all the states generally display the noblest and most elegant architecture on a civic level in the entire state. For poor states and rich alike, the resources of the entire legislature and constituency are normally involved in gathering materials and procuring the artisans and artists to produce the proudest public edifice the state can boast without facing criticism for over-opulence and over-spending. All our capitol buildings were generally finished long ago. They represent each new state's pride and ambition in joining the Union.

Comments