Carlisle Hotel Omaha

THE RENAISSANCE MANSIONTHE RENAISSANCE MANSION

Zoo - Zoo Penny Favor

by my2kids

Hello Omaha,

My family and I stopped at the Henry Doorly Zoo a few years ago while on our way back from a medical trip in Utah for one of our special needs children.

Our son with autism just started making and collecting zoo pennies this year, from the zoos he visits.

I would love to get him a zoo penny from the Henry Doorly Zoo and wrap it up for him for Christmas.

I'm not sure this zoo has the machine to make the pennies. But if they do and anyone is willing to make us one. I would gladly pay for the amount to have the penny done plus the shipping to send it to us here in North Dakota.

Thanks so much,

Barb

RE: Zoo - Zoo Penny Favor

by 0maha

I don't believe that Henry Doorly has a penny machine. We spend a lot of time at the zoo and I don't think I've ever seen one. I will check and let you know relatively soon. If they do have one, I'll get it taken care of for you, and don't worry about the stamp ;0)

RE: Zoo - Zoo Penny Favor

by wanderlustI

Did your son ever find his 'lucky' penny from the Henry Doorly Zoo?

Travel Tips for Omaha

Omaha: THE MISSISSIPPI OF THE NORTH

by midwesterner19

Omaha is known in the mid-west as the "Mississippi of the North" because of the way whites in this town treat blacks. Whites are very fixated on race and they try to make sure that they segregate themselves so they never see a black person. In this town you will never see a white associating with a black. One city council member said that he could not name a park after a black because he is white and catholic. Omaha will always be a hotbed of racist people (people in Omaha, love Jesse Helms and George Wallace, because thats all this town like to ignore the fact its boarded-up and boring I have lived in this town 2 years and this town has nothing good. It is filled with closed-minded, obese, racist, xenophobics with ten kids who shop at Wal-Mart. If you visit Omaha, you will remember the racist and devisive culture these people are into.

Loess Hills

by Toughluck

In many ways this is as much or more Iowa, i.e., Council Bluffs. Since I spend my time in Omaha, I place it here instead. The Loess Hills are the results of the Continental Glaciers. {I'll have to link some tips - which I need to write - about seeing the glaciers results.} These massive glaciers moved down from the north, pushing and grinding the rocks and soils into a fine powder, called loess. When the glacier(s) started to melt, these fine soils were released along the southern margin, i.e., the Missouri River and they were carried by wind and water southward, much of it to cover Nebraska and Iowa. Along the Missouri River, water sculpted it into hills and valleys, which are now a unique area to travel. Terraced farms, high bluffs, blue water, sheltered coves all await the curious traveler.

Excellent Calzones!

by rsleisk about Zio's New York Style Pizzeria

We went to lunch several times to Zios downtown in the Old Market Square area.

Great atmosphere, good service and tasty calzones. Mini Meat Calzone:
Salami, Ham ,Onions & Olives

They also serve pizza, pasta, hoagies, salads, beer and wine.

Henry Doorly Zoo

by etfromnc

Perhaps the most popular recurring attraction for people in the local area. It is perhaps best known for its open-air aviary and the Lied Jungle which emulates a rainforest with plants, animals, fish, and birds from South America, Africa, and Asia. There is also an aquarium and an educational center and, lest we forget the kids, there is also a petting zoo and touch tanks where you can actually touch (one finger only, please) the sea creatures. There is also a steam engine and train on which you can ride through the zoo.
My favorite part of the zoo is not in the zoo, however. The Lee G. Simmons Conservation & Wildlife Park is near exit 426 off of Interstate Hwy. 80 between Omaha and Lincoln and features many of the animals which Lewis & Clark may have encountered during their expedition. It also has an aviary but no rainforest exhibit.

Rosenblatt Stadium - Omaha...

by kmifflin

Rosenblatt Stadium - Omaha Goldenspikes.
AAA baseball is actually kind of fun. And at the Rosenblatt stadium every seat is a good seat and the good seats are still even cheap. Plus, the big ole margaritas make any game even more fun! It's even more fun if you go and root for the Tacoma Rainers. The Omahans get kinda pissy!

Comments