2001 Foothill Road, GENOA, NV, 89411

1862 David Walley's Hot Springs Resort and Spa
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

• WORST RESORT EVER!!!!!

Reserved suite @ David Walley's Hot Springs & Spa "Resort" through Interval International membership. This was the WORST resort experience we have ever had in our world travels. Upon arrival, the fireplace wasn't working, the front desk closed @ 7PM and we could not access wireless Internet for business. The bedding was the lowest of the low end (Motel 6 would be an upgrade) - worn out, dirty w/ yellow stains, cheap synthetic materials and FULL OF LONG BLACK HAIRS!!!! The mattress was hard as a rock. There are honking geese outside the rooms that would in no way allow one to sleep. We were never able to utilize Internet service (even after paying their $40 up-charge) and refused to stay at this resort under such filthy, low end conditions. Our planned one week vacation to relax and heal in the hot springs was ruined as we were forced to check out because of the many poor conditions outlined in this review. Please don't believe that David Walley's is a "Celebrity Resort" - what a farce!!!!!!! No celebrity would go near the place!!!!

Unique Quality: WE NEVER USED THE POOLS BECAUSE THEY WERE DIRTY & IN DISREPAIR

Directions: IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE WITH NO GOOD RESTAURANTS WITHIN 30 MILES

More about David Walley'S Resort

Did not enjoy the spa

My husband and I visted David Walleys for a relaxing day at the spa. It was not relaxing at all. We were late to our appointment becuase the woman on the phone did not mention how far out of Reno it was (even when asked for specific directions) and when we called again to check directions the other women seemed shocked that we were not there and we did not recive proper directions. When we arrived the massusses were talking about us (complaining about us being late and how it was cramping thier day) in the hallway that everyone uses. The appointments were set for 30 minutes but only 20 minutes were actually used on the massage. The changing room is the size of a closet and the showers are shared with the hotel guests pool. Not relaxing and pampering at all. I would highly suggest finding another place for a day of pampering.

If you like nature but don’t like camping this is the place to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member CARoute66

We enjoyed our quite weekend visit to David Walley’s in May 2005. The view of the mountains with late season snow was beautiful. We spotted deer on the side of the hill just above the parking lot. At night you can see the stars.

Check-in & out was fast & easy. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit at the Canyon Building which had a swimming pool & jacuzzi right outside our sliding door. The spa was within walking distance next to the Aurora building. Our unit was clean, had a full kitchen, and washer & dryer.

There is a café (Sierra) & restaurant on site (DW’s). The food at DW’s was excellent. We dinned during their “Early Bird” special. I recommend their prime rib & apple dessert which I can’t remember the name of. It takes them 20 minutes to make so you have to order it early. DW’s is not open on Sundays & the café closes at 5pm. We anticipated this & bought some groceries on the way to the resort. If you don't want to cook, Carson City is a few minutes away with a lot of restaurants, grocery stores, and even a Costco!

don't waste your time

This was our 3rd visit to David Walley's, as a "VIP" guest to tour their facilities with a view to buying a timeshare. We didn't even make it to the room, we'd seen enough in the first 10 minutes. Don't believe the "VIP" hype, we were treated very poorly by their staff and made to feel very unwelcome. Also, the place is a dump, just as it was the last time we visited several years ago. We only went back there this time because their salesperson told us they had invested millions in the resort. Since the location is perfect and the hot springs should be a great place to relax, we thought we'd give them another try.

We shouldn't have been suckered into it again. They have spent $0 on the spa and facilities. The cramped lockerrooms are a joke and the paint is peeling from the outside of the building. As for the hot springs, well, they weren't working when we arrived and the place was full of laborers digging up pipes and trying to get it fixed. The water was tepid, with the usual cracked plaster and algae around the pools. I can understand that things do go wrong from time to time and maintenance is required. However, we learned in talking to some owners there that the hot springs are always breaking down and Quintas Resorts just don't spend the money that is needed to improve the system and make this a high class resort.

It is such a shame because if they put in some effort, this would be a great resort. But until we see big improvements we will not be back.

We never got any of the things that were promised as part of our package, we checked out of the terrible Carson Valley Inn (which is in fact a motel adjacent to the Inn, even though the salesperson promised us this was not the case), and we took our money elsewhere.

Not very relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member macmba

I was there this weekend to visit the timeshare presentation. The rooms are nice because they are new but not high end by any means. The spa is cramped, but I did get a good massage. The food is overpriced and average.

The location is beautiful but a drive to everything. Reno is 45 minutes and South Tahoe is 30 minutes. This place has lots of potential but there just did not seem to be anywhere to relax.

All in all, it is a nice place to visit if you are within a short drive, but I would not drive hours to get there if it were my prime destination.

Not as Advertised

This "Spa" is a curious mix of nice and awful. It is a good family place if you have small children but it is NOT a world class spa by any stretch. We arrived on Sunday afternoon to find unsupervised teenagers apparently running everything. The front desk attendant was so involved in a verbal match with another employee, she barely took time out to check us in and did not offer any assistance or information regarding the property or amenities. In addition, after our six hour drive, we were informed that the restaurant and deli were both closed. I was NOT happy about another 30 minute drive to the burger place in Carson City. We returned to our room which was clean and nicely appointed.

The next morning we awoke to the most beautiful views of the wildlife preserve and valley floor. Truly breath taking. We went to the “spa”. The temperature in all seven pools is regulated by some guy turning valves attempting to get it right. He could not. The water was either 107 or 98 degrees in all of them. It was neither relaxing nor enjoyable. We did get massages and a facial – the contracted people delivering these services were excellent. The physical spa facility was marginal at best. SMALL showers, lockers and dressing rooms.
We had lots of fun in nearby Carson City (try the Fandango Casino) and South Lake Tahoe. The scenery is magnificent but everything about the property feels under funded and mismanaged. NOT worth the money – I won’t be back.

No rush, relax and enjoy

We are members of the resort since 2002. We brought into the resort after attending two presentations and a 3 night, 2 day stay, at the Boddie building.

My wife and I totally enjoyed the peaceful surroundings and Carson City. Exploring the country side to Virginia City and Virginia City itself was fantastic.

Yes, the spas are not the very best. After all, This ia a Natural Spring setting, that goes back in history. The water temp. were perfect and we soaked in all the pools that were open. Two were shut down for maintenance.

We totally enjoyed the massages, done by qualified and qualified people.

The rasturant is a little high priced, but the menu, food, and service was superior.

The room was excellent.

We had beautiful suite

Please allow me to provide a positive review about Walley's. I agree with some of the other reviews that at least two of the positive reviews about Walley's posted on this site appear to have been written by a Travel Agent or employee of the hotel. They do not sound genuine.

My niece had a wedding at Walley's in July 2004. The setting for the nuptials was just south of the hotel, in a meadow with a gorgeous mountain range in the distance. The scene was spectacular. The reception was held in the domed ballroom of the hotel, and the event was relaxed and enjoyable.

My parents and my 8 year old son shared a beautiful two bedroom suite with me, complete with a large living room/dining room/kitchen combination. Outside the suite was a vast lawn and play equipment, perfect for young children to burn off steam. Every morning someone would walk to Walley's bakery and purchase coffee and pastries. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant and I did not personally use the hot springs or spa, but my stay with delightful.

After reading all of the reviews, I would say that Walley's needs to tear down those terrible cabins which add nothing to the ambiance of the hotel, and it needs to enlarge and improve the spa dressing area, stocking it with luxurious robes and towels. It should also send all of its employees to an intensive customer service seminar in order to improve their people skills. The customer may not always be right, but he/she is paying their salaries.

We had a great time no matter what the reviews said

by TripAdvisor Member 4CAROLINAGIRLS

We stayed at Walley's from the exchange program. Like many others, I reviewed the comments and was leary about the place. But, when I got there everything was far from the truth. When we arrived we were treated wonderfully by the staff. We stayed in the Canyon building which was very clean and well decorated. We did not eat at DW's but there are plenty of restaurants to choose from w/in 20 miles. If you want a good breakfast I recommend Katie's. It is inside the Carson Valley Inn in Minden. It was wonderful to walk out on the deck and see the snow capped mountains all around you. We went to the hot springs one day and if you can stand the sulfur smell (which I hear is normal) it was very nice. We also got in the fresh water pool which was also great. The staff was also very helpful in making our daily decisions about what to do. I highly recommend the gondola at Heavenly, a 40 min ride to Kirkwood, a 40 min ride to the historical Virginia City, it's just like a old western town with wooden sidewalks. The best of all was the snowmobiling we did through Lakeshore Adventures. We had a wonderful time and would go again!! So, go and see for yourself. It just sounds like some people want to complain.

Beautiful surroundings, nice accommodations, so close to Lake Tahoe

We booked 2-2 bedroom condos on the March 3-6 weekend and invited 3 of our closest couple friends. We own a timeshare week at the resort but have never stayed there, because we use it for trading purposes. It trades extremely well.
After reading the reviews, I was very nervous about taking our friends to the resort because, the reviews were so negative.

We arrived two hours before check-in and the staff checked to see if our condo was ready. It was and they let us check-in early. They arranged it so that both condos were side by side(initially, we were in two different buildings).The check-in was fast and the staff was friendly and informative.

We stayed on the bottom floor of the Canyon Building that faces the Canyon. The condo was clean, nicely decorated and spacious. We had access to the Pool as well the jacuzzi's. The jacuzzi's were wonderful after a long day of skiing (Sierra at Tahoe).

The small town of Genoa is absolutely beautiful with the old buildings, beautiful homes, and of course the oldest bar in Nevada. The drive into Lake Tahoe is short and scenic. There is plenty to do here during the winter months. You can visit nearby Virgina City or Bodie or you can visit Lake Tahoe for the gambling, entertainment or the fresh powder skiing. Relaxing in the hot springs is the perfect way to end a day of skiing.

We ate at D.W.'s their resturant. It was above average and no more expensive than the resturants in Tahoe. We ran out of time so we couldn't try their spa services.

We had so much fun with our friends, they loved the condo's and the location.

My husband and I own Marriot timeshares in Kaui, Park City, Orlando, Lake Tahoe and Dave Walley's. Although Dave Walley's doesn't compare to the Marriott's quality and service, they do a quality job in their accomodations and service. My only complaint is their towel service. They charge you if you want replacement towels, not so at the Marriot's

I think this is a wonderful place for families with young children, couples who like to explore historical places or simply relax. It is also a nice place to stay for skiiers in the winter and golf enthusiasts in the spring and summer.

Comments